ZAGG "ZAGGskins"

Reaction score
First let me say that I did not want to write this negative review. The product looks great, installs easy, and is functional. So why the negative review? you might ask. Simple. The product is incomplete.

I received my order today (13 days after the purchase, so if you need immediate protection find something else). After giggling like a school girl and opening the product, I was stoked to see my custom picked art that was soon going to decorate my phone (I'll get some pics up soon). After watching a couple reviews on YouTube I knew what all came with the ZAGGskin. Front and back, full protection. Or so I thought. After installing the back pieces, I realized something was missing. Where was my front protection?? "No big deal" I thought "must have forgot to include it". After installing the InvisiSHIELD screen protector, I decided to give them a call so that they may correct the error. After about 20 mins of confusion from the ZAGG people, I was informed that ZAGG no longer made a front piece for the Motorola Droid ZAGGskin. WTF??? Now here is where I begin to get angry. Not only are you not told this untill you recieve the order and call them thinking there was a fluke. But they also told me that the best they could do was give me and additional 20% off on the InvisiSHIELD full front cover (saving me $7.99 on a cover that was already $29.99). Why did I just spend $30 on a protective skin, to not only not get the full protection I was supposed to, but then for you to tell me that I need to spend more money??? $50??? I should have just kept my case on. I just wanted to enjoy the thin and sleek Moto Droid, the way it was meant to be. It's a shame really. I had high hopes for ZAGG. I also used to have a lot of respect for BODYGUARDZ.com but they will no longer get my business either (it's no coincidence that both shield companies are based in Utah...) ZAGG.com fails. Customer service lady was nice, but not helpful.:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

This is all that you get with the ZAGGskin "kit". Note that it's only the back pieces:

SL732291.jpg

These front trim pieces I had to cut MYSELF using what was left over from the sticker sheet:

SL732293.jpg

SL732294.jpg

SL732297.jpg

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
Looking at the website and order process, its pretty clear that all you get is the back skin that you designed. It even suggests adding the Front Shield to your order when you add the zagg skin to your cart. Why would they charge you $19.99 for a custom skin AND include a front when the full body kit costs $24.99 to begin with?

Also, found this in the FAQ:
Q: What type of coverage do I get with a ZAGGskin?
A: ZAGGskin coverage for hand-held devices (like cell phones, iPods, etc) include the back and sides, while some will cover portions of the front depending on the device. Screen coverage is sold separately and can be purchased as a 'bundle' (ZAGGskin + invisibleSHIELD) when placing a ZAGGskin order. Please be aware that ZAGGskin coverage for laptops include the top, wrist rest, and sides, excluding the bottoms of laptops.
Perhaps you should have based what your were expecting on what the actual website says and not some youtube videos...

Also, whats wrong with BodyGuardz? I like their skins, and if you're a returning customer, you can't beat the 20% + 20% coupon they usually have. 2 full body skins for $16.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
It's not stated that you do not get the front outer trim. In fact they actually came with the front pieces (4 small strips) only a month ago. Also I did not "design" the skin, I chose a pre selected Rockwell image. And when you check out it offers you the ZAGG screen protector (which I did add), not the entire front film. And I have used Bodygaurdz before. I used them for my Zune and my Samsung Glyde. It's not that I didn't like them, but the two companies are affiliated. Total my order was close to $30. More then enough to give me "full coverage" in my opinion. I just don't understand what the big deal is with widening the sticker sheet and cutting a couple more bars. After all I did it with a pocket knife...

ZAGGskin coverage for hand-held devices (like cell phones, iPods, etc) include the back and sides, while some will cover portions of the front depending on the device. Screen coverage is sold separately and can be purchased as a 'bundle' (ZAGGskin + invisibleSHIELD) when placing a ZAGGskin order. Please be aware that ZAGGskin coverage for laptops include the top, wrist rest, and sides, excluding the bottoms of laptops.

I did read this. If I'm not mistaken then pieces I did not recieve are considered to be the sides.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I DID purchase the screen "front". That is not the issue. The skin does not come with the side pieces for the sliding portion of the phone.

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding me. I DID purchase the screen "front". That is not the issue. The skin does not come with the side pieces for the sliding portion of the phone.

And it never showed them as being included when you designed the product. It does cover the sides of the back of the phone, which would be the sides the FAQ is talking about. I understand your frustration with why they just cant include those 4 strips, but thats how the whole screen protector racket is. They are making huge profits either way.

And what basis do you have that Zagg and BG are affiliated other than because they are both from Utah? Competitors that take eachother's sales usually aren't affliates. In fact, there are published articles linked on Zagg that list Body Guardz as a direct competitor to Zagg.

http://www.zagg.com/downloads/ld-micro-zagg-final.pdf
"Other competitors include Best Skins Ever as well as NLU's BodyGuardz."

http://www.zagg.com/downloads/ZAGG Initial Report (RedChip).pdf
"However, the main, direct competitors to the invisibleSHIELD are small, privately held companies: NLU’s BodyGuardz and Best Skins Ever."

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
I just think it's rubish that you have to buy a skin and a full body protector. Why should I spend $50 so I can get the 4 little bars? And I know not getting my business isn't going to bother them much. But we do have a local Droid following of about 30 people all awaiting my review. Needless to say there alone is almost a grand maybe more in sales out the window. It should be put in the item description "Motorola Droid does not include the front side stickers". That alone would have been enough for me to decide to pass. Now we just have to go through the process of issuing a refund.

And I get the whole Zagg is Bodyguardz thing, not only because they are both in Utah, but When I spoke with Zagg earlier I got "Desirae". After my call with them I called a few other skin companies to see what they included. When I called Bodyguardz I got a "Desirae". While I may be wrong (the first sent me an email with my RA number and her name spelled out) but that's two pretty big coincidences. Just putting 2 and 2 together. This type of thing really isn't all that uncommon. For example I run an Aftermarket Auto parts company. I know of several others who are actually the same company running off of different names. Reason being you get more business. Two different companies to fit different personalities. Zagg for those who say "you get what you pay for, so more is better" and Bodyguardz for those who say "I'm not spending that much so I'll buy the cheaper". Either way the same company makes the deal. Also I had never even heard of ZAGG until I conveniently received a subscribed newsletter (that I obviously didn't subscribe to) at the same time I received my Bodyguardz newsletter (that I did subscribe to). See where I'm getting my opinion from?

Sorry for being so winded.

smcdo123

Reaction score
Yeah well if you would have looked at the reviews I made of zagg skin also on their website you would see that it covers the back only and the sides. It is dumb on the slider part the droid is too curvy and and would be tricky to do. I love mine. Should read the print and seen when u ordered or made you skin online that it shows the back of the phone.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah well if you would have looked at the reviews I made of zagg skin also on their website you would see that it covers the back only and the sides. It is dumb on the slider part the droid is too curvy and and would be tricky to do. I love mine. Should read the print and seen when u ordered or made you skin online that it shows the back of the phone.

This part makes no sense. Did you get a clear skin for this part? It's the same thing just clear...

Didn't read any reviews on the site no. But what's so dumb about it? Is it not the same as putting the clear film on it? Either way it's going to be done. I effectively cut 4 strips from the extra film and they work fine. It's simple to do, but should just come with it. Just like the skin doesn't cover the actual corners of the phone, it wouldn't have to cover the corners of the slider either. ^^ look at the pics. And the sides of the slider ARE STILL THE SIDES OF THE PHONE. regardless of what portion of the phone it is on. So when even the description says that it covers all sides. Well I might just be led to believe it covers all sides.

Also I looked at ordering the skin while the cover was still included. And the design template was EXACTLY the same. NOTHING in the descriptions, or pictures has changed since they decided to exclude these pieces. The template setup was only to align the images with the phone itself. Not to show you that it was all you got.

This is the way it was originally done, and should still be:

[video=youtube;ffXPylgVsJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffXPylgVsJM[/video]

Last edited:

smcdo123

Reaction score

Didn't read any reviews on the site no. But what's so dumb about it? Is it not the same as putting the clear film on it? Either way it's going to be done. I effectively cut 4 strips from the extra film and they work fine. It's simple to do, but should just come with it. Just like the skin doesn't cover the actual corners of the phone, it wouldn't have to cover the corners of the slider either. ^^ look at the pics. And the sides of the slider ARE STILL THE SIDES OF THE PHONE. regardless of what portion of the phone it is on. So when even the description says that it covers all sides. Well I might just be led to believe it covers all sides.
Well i posted one. But anyway I just dont like the way it looks. Then again my zagg skin is all black with white guns (rogue status) And it doesnt show the pieces on the slider except for the INVISIBLE shield not zagg skin. Their videos you can clearly see that. It also says it numerous times and when you were designing the case you would be able to see it doesnt have those parts but whatever bro you got it to work your way have fun.

smcdo123

Reaction score
also you dont need to cut up on zagg when it was user error of not realizing it does not come with the slider pieces. They stated what came with it and videos showed, but yeah like i said have fun :)

smcdo123

Reaction score
They must have changed them check date on video it is probly a little older because the side he pulls off is a very thing strip so yeah anyway ZAGG has their site up to date. They described what you bought you did not read oh well

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah. They say it comes with the back and sides. Yet still missing sides. And I'm not bagging the quality just the incompleteness of the "full body" as my reciept says.