dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Droidprincess

In my experience, many manufacturers show a product that is different from the final product.

For example I use techarmor, and they redesigned their glass screen protector on the 3rd one I got, but still showed the original one. In this specific case, the newer design is far better than the older one.

Also, my front facing camera is still as clear as it is without the screen protector. I'd rather have more coverage if it means sacrificing a bit of camera or sensor quality though.

Sent from my SCH-I545

OP
droidprincess

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I removed the Zagg....I am going naked until I hear back from MIME....the feel of the tg sp is never an issue I cant stand the ugly halo around the edges . Whos know maybe I'll get over my fear of needing a protector and just keep the screen naked.

sent from my sexy Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I removed the Zagg....I am going naked until I hear back from MIME....the feel of the tg sp is never an issue I cant stand the ugly halo around the edges . Whos know maybe I'll get over my fear of needing a protector and just keep the screen naked.

sent from my sexy Note 4
Just let it all hang out! I've been through all the devices in my sig & only cracked one screen. None of them had protectors & it's not like I never drop 'em.

Sent from my Note 4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's my take on screen protectors, especially glass ones: If it's available for your phonhe, get it.

I have taken the best care of my devices, and never had dropped one to the point of damage, until one day with my s4. I had forgotten it was on my lap and stepped out of my car, next thing I hear is a thud and crack. Hit the cement right in the corner, where a screen protector would've saved it. $150 screen repair later, and I picked up a glass screen protector for $16. Best $16 I have ever spent.

Even those who are super careful with their devices can succumb to being clumsy. It's an expensive device in your hands, might as well try and protect the screen at least. Only takes one drop to really ruin your day.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's my take on screen protectors, especially glass ones: If you can get it, get it.

I have taken the best care of my devices, and never had dropped one to the point of damage, until one day with my s4. I had forgotten it was on my lap and stepped out of my car, next thing I hear is a thud and crack. Hit the cement right in the corner, where a screen protector would've saved it. $150 screen repair later, and I picked up a glass screen protector for $16. Best $16 I have ever spent.

Even those who are super careful with their devices can succumb to being clumsy. It's an expensive device in your hands, might as well try and protect the screen at least. Only takes one drop to really ruin your day.
The one screen I've cracked-og droid. I dropped it from a standing position onto the street. Back cover flew off, battery flew out. Few scratches on the body, but screen was good.

Fast forward a few weeks or so & I was sitting down, hunched over, so it was literally only a couple feet from the linoleum floor. It hit the vent and cracked the screen. It was still usable & I actually have it to my cousin when I upgraded. He used it until it refused to work anymore.

Could it happen again, sure, but I prefer the naked screen, so I take my chances.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

sent from my sexy Note 4

Nevermind... Had a thought, went with it...had second thoughts...bailed on the first one.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm not giving up hope on the glass protectors. The 2.5D glass has been used in plenty of previous Galaxies and they worked. It will be a huge step backwards to have to return to those regular plastic protectors since the glass ones are just like using the regular screen. I have no delusions though that there would ever be one for the Note Edge. The Note 4 though will happen.

OP
droidprincess

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Update: I am returning the MIME TG SP for a refund today.....I am just going to go naked. I am over the SP drama on the Note 4.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update: I am returning the MIME TG SP for a refund today.....I am just going to go naked. I am over the SP drama on the Note 4.
There's a cellphone repair shop a couple of miles from my home that can replace a shattered screen for not much more than the cost of Ghost Glass. I put one on my Note2. Every smartphone prior and since I ran with no screen protector of any kind, and perhaps I got lucky , but have not had anything other than a few small scratches on the Incredible 1 screen. The GG actually chipped off in a corner when I applied my Defender case on it, taking much away from the aesthetics when that case was not on it. I'm with you, gonna take my chances with just a case and no screen protector.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ghost Glass = Gorilla Glass?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Correct. Sort of. It's a tempered glass screen protector by MIME(SP?) that has a hardness rating just below diamonds so its crystalline structure is different than Corning.
Interesting... (Runs off to Google Ghost Glass...)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so to clarify, the 9H is a "pencil hardness" test, not the MOHS scale of hardness that is more commonly used to indicate the hardness of elements and alloys, so to say it's just below Diamonds is not a fair statement. To further clarify, Ghost Glass claims to be "as hard as Steel". In the MOHS scale, Steel, that is - raw steel is only a MOHS hardness of 4-4.5. This is surprising since common Glass starts at a MOHS hardness of 5.5 (with the higher number indicating hardness), and depending on the composition can go to as high as 7 for Soda Lime Glass. By contrast, Talc (think Talcum Powder), is a MOHS hardness of 1, and Diamond (yes, that thing you spent your life's savings on just so she can show it off), is a MOHS of 10 - the hardest natural substance known to man. So I think they mean Hardened Steel (mentioned later)

Now, the Pencil Hardness scale...

• Now, the surface hardness numbers you see for tempered glass screen protectors are based upon the pencil hardness scale, in which the resistance of a coating is determined as the grade of hardest pencil that does not mark the coating when pressed firmly against it at a 45 degree angle. Here’s the complete scale of pencil hardness on the European system that’s most widely used (courtesy of Wikipedia).

• In a simpler term, one would take a pencil, make a line of several centimeters (typically less than an inch), observe if the pencil scratches the surface of the coating, then go down the pencil “grades” until a pencil no longer mars the coating. Surface hardness is defined by the hardest pencil grade that fails to scratch the surface, which is the reason why the procedure is called the “pencil hardness test,” even though it’d be more accurate to call it “surface scratch resistance scale” or “completely misleading title for a scale slash testing. In a very few case where even the 9H pencil unable to abrade the surface, 9H hardness rating designation will be given.
  • Source: 9H hardness iloome.wordpress

In the case of 9H, MOST Tempered Glass screen protectors are rated either an 8H or 9H, but that is not the same as a 9 on the MOHS scale. 9 on the MOHS scale is represented most commonly by Sapphire. This is why it's the Holy Grail of screen material. Because it's only able to be scratched by other 9 MOHS substances (such as corundum, silicon carbide (carborundum), tungsten carbide, titanium carbide, boron, boron nitride, rhenium diboride, stishovite, titanium diboride), and by Diamonds, as well as Carbonado (10 MOHS).

So where DOES Tempered Glass fall on the MOHS scale? Well, typically it falls about 7+ on the MOHS scale, which is .5 - 1 below Hardened or Tungsten Steel at 7.5-8. Even the best Tempered Glass screen protectors would only fall in the range of maybe 8 on MOHS, so we could say that 9H on the Pencil Hardness test is somewhat equivalent to 7.5-8 on the MOHS scale, but that is not a fair comparison because the Pencil Hardness test is a SCRATCH test, whereas the MOHS scale is an indication of "Absolute Hardness", meaning throughout the entire depth. Testing MOHS is a combination of scratch and "drop tests". In the case of Tempered Glass, only the SURFACE is resistant to scratches and breakage, but once that surface is abraded, the lower glass is back to the original range on the MOHS scale, and is nearly just as succeptable to breakage as normal Soda Lime glass.

Just a little tidbit for you... Cubic Zirconium (AKA Fake Diamonds) is only an 8 on the MOHS scale, which means it can be scratched by among other things, Tungsten Carbide, so if she owns any Tungsten Carbide (9 no the MOHS scale), drill bits, you might want to rething buying a Cubic Zirconia ring and trying to pass it off as a Diamond...

Here's a great video about Pencil Hardness and it exemplifies what I've described above. By the way, glass cutter wheels are typically made of either Hardened Steel (the lower quality ones), or Tungsten Carbide Steel (the high quality ones), with the latter being 9-9.5 on the MOHS scale, so comparable to and even perhaps harder than Sapphire. I doubt he's using the Tungsten Carbide glass cutter wheel as it would have made mincemeat of that screen protector on even the first swipes.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, so to clarify, the 9H is a "pencil hardness" test, not the MOHS scale of hardness that is more commonly used to indicate the hardness of elements and alloys, so to say it's just below Diamonds is not a fair statement. To further clarify, Ghost Glass claims to be "as hard as Steel". In the MOHS scale, Steel, that is - raw steel is only a MOHS hardness of 4-4.5. This is surprising since common Glass starts at a MOHS hardness of 5.5 (with the higher number indicating hardness), and depending on the composition can go to as high as 7 for Soda Lime Glass. By contrast, Talc (think Talcum Powder), is a MOHS hardness of 1, and Diamond (yes, that thing you spent your life's savings on just so she can show it off), is a MOHS of 10 - the hardest natural substance known to man. So I think they mean Hardened Steel (mentioned later)

Now, the Pencil Hardness scale...

• Now, the surface hardness numbers you see for tempered glass screen protectors are based upon the pencil hardness scale, in which the resistance of a coating is determined as the grade of hardest pencil that does not mark the coating when pressed firmly against it at a 45 degree angle. Here’s the complete scale of pencil hardness on the European system that’s most widely used (courtesy of Wikipedia).

• In a simpler term, one would take a pencil, make a line of several centimeters (typically less than an inch), observe if the pencil scratches the surface of the coating, then go down the pencil “grades” until a pencil no longer mars the coating. Surface hardness is defined by the hardest pencil grade that fails to scratch the surface, which is the reason why the procedure is called the “pencil hardness test,” even though it’d be more accurate to call it “surface scratch resistance scale” or “completely misleading title for a scale slash testing. In a very few case where even the 9H pencil unable to abrade the surface, 9H hardness rating designation will be given.
  • Source: 9H hardness iloome.wordpress

In the case of 9H, MOST Tempered Glass screen protectors are rated either an 8H or 9H, but that is not the same as a 9 on the MOHS scale. 9 on the MOHS scale is represented most commonly by Sapphire. This is why it's the Holy Grail of screen material. Because it's only able to be scratched by other 9 MOHS substances (such as corundum, silicon carbide (carborundum), tungsten carbide, titanium carbide, boron, boron nitride, rhenium diboride, stishovite, titanium diboride), and by Diamonds, as well as Carbonado (10 MOHS).

So where DOES Tempered Glass fall on the MOHS scale? Well, typically it falls about 7+ on the MOHS scale, which is .5 - 1 below Hardened or Tungsten Steel at 7.5-8. Even the best Tempered Glass screen protectors would only fall in the range of maybe 8 on MOHS, so we could say that 9H on the Pencil Hardness test is somewhat equivalent to 7.5-8 on the MOHS scale, but that is not a fair comparison because the Pencil Hardness test is a SCRATCH test, whereas the MOHS scale is an indication of "Absolute Hardness", meaning throughout the entire depth. Testing MOHS is a combination of scratch and "drop tests". In the case of Tempered Glass, only the SURFACE is resistant to scratches and breakage, but once that surface is abraded, the lower glass is back to the original range on the MOHS scale, and is nearly just as succeptable to breakage as normal Soda Lime glass.

Just a little tidbit for you... Cubic Zirconium (AKA Fake Diamonds) is only an 8 on the MOHS scale, which means it can be scratched by among other things, Tungsten Carbide, so if she owns any Tungsten Carbide (9 no the MOHS scale), drill bits, you might want to rething buying a Cubic Zirconia ring and trying to pass it off as a Diamond...

Here's a great video about Pencil Hardness and it exemplifies what I've described above. By the way, glass cutter wheels are typically made of either Hardened Steel (the lower quality ones), or Tungsten Carbide Steel (the high quality ones), with the latter being 9-9.5 on the MOHS scale, so comparable to and even perhaps harder than Sapphire. I doubt he's using the Tungsten Carbide glass cutter wheel as it would have made mincemeat of that screen protector on even the first swipes.

It still doesn't fit right on a Note4, regardless of what scale is used to determine if it'll stand up to car keys and pocket lint.