z4Root - One Step Rooting for Many Android Devices!!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooted. Thanks. Barnacle wifi installed.. but no go.. :( gives error.. some file not found.. any rescue? its fascinate by the way...

could you be a little more specific? and maybe try wireless tether for root users. does the same thing as barnicle

D2FX

Reaction score
Hey i have a Droid X fully updated, 2.2 (2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US), will this work fine on my phone? I have always been scared to root my phone due to the fact that i really need it and cant replace it.

RoNYC

Reaction score
If this works on the OG Droid, the super ninja permission icon would show in the app drawer right?

Jolly

Reaction score
Yeah you should get either the SU Ninja or the Skull and Cross Bones in the app drawer once you're rooted.

Sent from my DROIDX

elliottfamily5

Reaction score
First - please excuse what is probably a moronic noob question, but brand new to droid 2 and never heard of "root" until I started reading all the threads here. I installed the z4root app last night (took about 30 seconds) and went flawlessly. I have titanium backup (free). My main reason for rooting, at this point, is to get rid of the junk I will never use. My main concern is being able to install updates as they become available.

If I understand titanium backup correctly, I can back-up, say Skype, then delete it through titanium. If I need to reinstall it for a system update, I can reinstall the backed-up copy through titanium? If this is correct and I get all the junk I previously removed reinstalled through titanium, would I then have to unroot via z4root before installing the system update?

Is this what you guys would recommend or is there a better, easier way to get the bloatware back on the os to perform system updates?

Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First - please excuse what is probably a moronic noob question, but brand new to droid 2 and never heard of "root" until I started reading all the threads here. I installed the z4root app last night (took about 30 seconds) and went flawlessly. I have titanium backup (free). My main reason for rooting, at this point, is to get rid of the junk I will never use. My main concern is being able to install updates as they become available.

If I understand titanium backup correctly, I can back-up, say Skype, then delete it through titanium. If I need to reinstall it for a system update, I can reinstall the backed-up copy through titanium? If this is correct and I get all the junk I previously removed reinstalled through titanium, would I then have to unroot via z4root before installing the system update?

Is this what you guys would recommend or is there a better, easier way to get the bloatware back on the os to perform system updates?

Thanks.

the EASIEST IMO way would be to use the paid version of titanium backup to "freeze" the system apps so they are removed from the system but as soon as another update comes, you just press the "defrost" button and theyre back.

elliottfamily5

Reaction score
the EASIEST IMO way would be to use the paid version of titanium backup to "freeze" the system apps so they are removed from the system but as soon as another update comes, you just press the "defrost" button and theyre back.
Abe, I tried to freeze the apps with the free version when I first installed it and got the pop up telling me I can only freeze apps with the paid version. I will probably buy it and go your route. Thanks.

Nightmares

Reaction score
I rooted my phone, i downloaded rom manager from the app market. But don't know how to use it. I'm ready for some custom roms! Any help?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted my phone, i downloaded rom manager from the app market. But don't know how to use it. I'm ready for some custom roms! Any help?

id say use the ROMs section on here to figure out what is needed to apply a ROM. just jumping in using rom manager will cause some problems if you dont know what ur doing

D2FX

Reaction score
I downloaded the app and turned on usb debugging, and it has been "Running exploit in order to obtain root acess..." for about 4 minutes now. Droid X

p1ngputts

Reaction score
I downloaded the app and turned on usb debugging, and it has been "Running exploit in order to obtain root acess..." for about 4 minutes now. Droid X

I'm on minute 3 right now. I will update as soon as something happens

p1ngputts

Reaction score

droid froze on me right after the 4 minute mark. restarted my phone and tried it again. Took literally 30 seconds.

D2FX

Reaction score

droid froze on me right after the 4 minute mark. restarted my phone and tried it again. Took literally 30 seconds.

Yea same happened with me, i guess it just needs a restart after install before rooting.