Z4root + Noob (help!)

DiggaDon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a complete noob to the rooting thing, I basically want to be able to wifi tether and get rid of bloatware on my Droid X. I picked up Z4root upon recomendation from androidforums to start things off. After watching some tutorials I apparently am no better off than I was previous to picking z4 up.

I'm not really sure that the root worked, or how to tell if it did. I don't think I'm trying to do anything too crazy, but I also don't want to brick my phone in the process of doing any of this. Help? Suggestions?

pool_shark

Reaction score
What OS are you running?
If you are running on the latest OTA update from Verizon, Z4root will not work.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. Go to settings/about phone and look at the android ver. If its 2.3.3, you're on gingerbread and z4 will not work. An even quicker way to tell is if your status bar is blue rather than white.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

OP
D

DiggaDon

Reaction score
This is a good point. Go to settings/about phone and look at the android ver. If its 2.3.3, you're on gingerbread and z4 will not work. An even quicker way to tell is if your status bar is blue rather than white.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

I see... It's 2.2.1...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then it should work. Try again. Z4 should run the exploit and then reboot automatically (if it takes longer than 7 min, pull the battery and run it again. It will be super quick the second time. You'll know it worked because you'll have the superuser app in your app drawer

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

OP
D

DiggaDon

Reaction score
Then it should work. Try again. Z4 should run the exploit and then reboot automatically (if it takes longer than 7 min, pull the battery and run it again. It will be super quick the second time. You'll know it worked because you'll have the superuser app in your app drawer

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

Yeah, I got that far. Now what though? I was expecting much more dramatic results! haha!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's more dramatic than you think. Now you truly own your phone. You can do anything now. Themes, roms, overclock, change icons, status bar color, wifi tether, block ads, change boot logos and boot animations. Cmon, it's waaaay cooler than you think

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

OP
D

DiggaDon

Reaction score
It's more dramatic than you think. Now you truly own your phone. You can do anything now. Themes, roms, overclock, change icons, status bar color, wifi tether, block ads, change boot logos and boot animations. Cmon, it's waaaay cooler than you think

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

like I said, I'm only looking to remove bloatware. I thought that maybe there would be some permissions that I would have to go through to use the wifi tether. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have a ridiculous bill at the end of this because I turned the wifi tethering on that came with it.... any pointers on that?

Any tips on removing bloatware? -- I haven't researched either of these yet... but at this point I was just making sure all was well with what I had! Thanks for the help thusfar Idopa

pool_shark

Reaction score
Don't remove the preinstalled software. Just move it to another directory, rename it, or freeze it. You'll need it later if you want to update.

Even going to the prerooted .588, it failed the first time because I moved the Browser.apk to a different directory.

OP
D

DiggaDon

Reaction score
Don't remove the preinstalled software. Just move it to another directory, rename it, or freeze it. You'll need it later if you want to update.

Even going to the prerooted .588, it failed the first time because I moved the Browser.apk to a different directory.

Will the performance pick up? -- what about the wifi tethering? can I just use the default wifi tethering app? "free" of charge?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK. So you won't have any changes to your bill with wifi tether. Google search wifi tether apk and you'll find it. If on 2.2 dl the 2.0.7 ver.
As far as bloatware, dl titanium backup pro (it has to be pro) and for each application you want to freeze, click on it and hit freeze. Don't uninstall any system apps!
I want you to check your pm box. I'm sending you something. ;)

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

marionb

Reaction score
original droid

I have the original droid 2.3.4 and z4root worked great. Very easy.

bigjames1006

Reaction score
b

Can someone direct or give advice on rooting 2.3.3. I also am a noob in need of assistance. I think something is wrong with my superusa app

F

fifiknw

Hey everyone, I'm a complete noob to the rooting thing, I basically want to be able to wifi tether and get rid of bloatware on my Droid X. I picked up Z4root upon recomendation from androidforums to start things off. After watching some tutorials I apparently am no better off than I was previous to picking z4 up.

I'm not really sure that the root worked, or how to tell if it did. I don't think I'm trying to do anything too crazy, but I also don't want to brick my phone in the process of doing any of this. Help? Suggestions?

Titanium back up: Topic: Titanium Backup PRO - Z4Cell Forums

best bet to remove bloatware.