z4root doesn't work on my Droid 2

bca

Reaction score
Found the instructions for rooting in this thread:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/109287-how-root-droid-2-depth-tutorial.html

Followed the instructions. Put the z4root.1.3.0.zip file on a clean, freshly formatted SDcard and used Astro to extract.

This is where I'm confused:

-from the How to root Droid 2 thread:
"-Go ahead and open up Astro on your Droid2 (You could download this from the Android Market, just search "Astro". It is used to view the contents on your SD card, kind of like a file manager where you could view, edit,delete, add or move all your files on your card).* Once its open, navigate to the z4root file you added earlier. Click on it and select Open App Manager, and click Install. You should now have the z4root App installed! *
-Open up the "z4root" App
-Click on the "Root" button." The underlined red text is where I'm getting lost.

I click on the zip file but I find no option for an "Open App Manager" or "Install" when I do so nor can I find any executable file which would allow me to install the z4root. No z4root app appears in my list of apps. The extracted files on the SDcard just show a z4root folder with these files: AndroidManisfest.xml, classes.dex, a "lib" folder, a "META.INF" folder. a "res" folder and a "resources.arsc" folder.

So, what am I missing here? Where are the "Open App Manager" and the "Install" options?

louy99

Reaction score
Did you use your computer to download it or your phone?

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

OP
B

bca

Reaction score
Did you use your computer to download it or your phone?

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

I figured it out. The tutorial wasn't very clear about the process, just saying to put z4root on an SDcard but the link in the tutorial was for a zip file not an apk and it doesn't mention that the file should be moved from the card to the phone. Extracting the zip just opened up the files to the card but there's no way they were gonna work from there. I searched and found a link to the z4root.apk and downloaded the file directly to the phone's memory and it installed fine. Once I figured that out, rooting went off without a hitch.

Anyone else who has the same issues I did can find the z4root.apk here: [APP] z4root - xda-developers Just download it with your phone and it'll install perfectly.