z4 Root and OTA updating

Huicho02000

Reaction score
Hello, am relatively new to this android phenomenon, but I would like to think that I am getting quite comfortable in making mods and I have learned a lot just by reading all these post. You caught my attention as I have went through my phone and actually deleted some of the bloatware, or system apps, but I would like to be able to reinstall them and rename them .bak just in case I ever have to take the phone back. I just have a dilemma, I don't remember what all apps I deleted and I went through and tried to match them to the default apps and there are some that I don't even recall having and some that I did have that aren't on that default apps file. Any help?

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums!!! Did you make a backup before you removed anything?

Hello, am relatively new to this android phenomenon, but I would like to think that I am getting quite comfortable in making mods and I have learned a lot just by reading all these post. You caught my attention as I have went through my phone and actually deleted some of the bloatware, or system apps, but I would like to be able to reinstall them and rename them .bak just in case I ever have to take the phone back. I just have a dilemma, I don't remember what all apps I deleted and I went through and tried to match them to the default apps and there are some that I don't even recall having and some that I did have that aren't on that default apps file. Any help?

DroidForums junkie!!

Huicho02000

Reaction score
i bought this app on the market that is called root manager but it doesn't seam to have the permissions fuctions, could you tell me which app is the one your are using?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I rooted the old fashioned way...long before root apps existed. :dancedroid:

i bought this app on the market that is called root manager but it doesn't seam to have the permissions fuctions, could you tell me which app is the one your are using?

DroidForums junkie!!

Huicho02000

Reaction score
well if you use titanium backup to freeze the system apps instead of removing them, you should be able to thaw them out and get an update no problems however if you do things like add themes or roms, you'll probably have to flash back to stock to get the ota to succeed. thats why right after i root a new update i immediately make a nandroid backup of the stock setup.

So lets say for those of use that din't make a nanddroid backup after rooting the phone, is it possible to optain a stock setup nandroid file from someone using the same phone? (i.e. from like you?)