Youtube playback

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Zataru, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Zataru

Zataru New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now, before I start, I have to say Pete is amazing, and his work is equally amazing. Bugless Beast is a near-perfect Droid ROM in my mind. There's just one thing that I'm really having an issue with. Like the title suggest's, that is Youtube playback. It was PERFECT on V0.3 of BB and an older version of SS, but since V0.4 (Or...maybe this is a Froyo issue, it seemed to work fine before 2.2) Youtube playback has been very...very, bad. If it played at all.

I've tried the Youtube app, which either starts the video fine, but seconds or rarely minutes into it: "Sorry, this video cannot be played. There was a problem while playing."

I've also tried launching a stream straight from the Youtube site. This results in a few seconds to about a minute of video, then: "Cannot play video. Sorry, this video cannot be played"

This is not an issue with any particular video. I have not encountered ONE video that will play all the way through with either method above, and I have tried very many. I haven't seen any threads about this either, which lead me to believe a reinstall of BB 0.4 would fix it. Well, it didn't... or you wouldn't be reading this, right?

I already know about apps that download Youtube video's. Thats not what I'm wishing to do here, not to mention have hundreds of video's taking up space on my micro SD card.

I've done many searches on here, but most of them related to the choppy video. This is not so much an issue i'm having. I am patient; I can wait while the video buffers a bit. Where I live, I get FULL BARS, or -1 bar at almost all times, and I make sure I have at least that before even attempting to watch a video.

Now, Youtube is very important to me (Hopefully this doesn't seem childish) and I fail to see how it could have worked so flawlessly in the past, but now make any video unwatchable. My hope here, is that maybe I passed up some youtube patch/fix that everyone but me knows about. If I have to wait until V0.5 of BB, then that's what I must do. But hopefully there is something I can do while Pete diligently works to perfect 0.5. Like I said, this is very important to me.

I am using the latest version of Bugless Beast, with Nextheme, chevyno1's 1ghz Ulv, and thats about it. Stock launcher, ect.

Wow, sorry for the small novel up there.
    Anyway: Input? Help? Things I haven't tried?
  2. TJ110158

TJ110158 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the very same issue with Youtube since upgrading to Pete's FRG01B - Kernel Ver: 2.6.32.9-g 103d848, but I just thought it was an internet issue. With that being said, its about the "ONLY" issue I have encountered.
  3. Zataru

Zataru New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to hear that. I was thinking about installing his stock-rooted ROM. Surely the Android team wouldn't release an update without making sure it worked with affiliated Youtube.
  4. banana bombs

banana bombs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i've had some trouble too. maybe not to the extent that you're experiencing, but everytime i pause and try to play, or skip ahead, either the video stops, the audio stops, or both. i don't know if it's a froyo thing, but i'm about to try out the new sapphire rom while pete is cooking up the new BB. i'll see if there's any issues there as well.
  5. Car

Car Member

Ratings:
    +0
    YouTube works when it wants to work for me. I could be sitting right next to my router and it will not buffer as it once did. I think a lot of audio/video streaming issues were the holdup on the 2.2 OTA release. I'm patiently awaiting Pete's next Beast with high hopes that they have resolved these issues in the FRG22 build they pushed out.
  6. droider4life

droider4life Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running ud 5.0.1 and I am having the same problem. It doesn't seem to be just YouTube either it seems almost any video i have found(yahoo news, etc) It says "cannot be played". Even if you download a video to save it (YouTube with xscope browser) it still wont play.
  7. Car

Car Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I purposely stayed with 2.1 for a long time because of this very same issue. Once I upgraded to any 2.2 based rom, this is the same error I got. I finally gave up on web videos and stayed with froyo for all the extras and hoped for a fix in the official ota that pete will no doubt root and deodex for us to enjoy.
  8. Apollo

Apollo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What kernel are you using Zataru? Just curious..
  9. Zataru

Zataru New Member

Ratings:
    +0

This. Chevyno1's 1ghz Ulv.
  10. droider4life

droider4life Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So hopefully soon the problem will be fixed. I have known it would one day so I haven't worried too much about it..
  11. Apollo

Apollo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My bad man, I missed that.. How about your SetCPU settings?
  12. trol1374

trol1374 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For what it is worth. I'm running Chevy's 4.6 rom and youtube works just fine for me.
  13. Zeekmond

Zeekmond New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having the same issues. It seems to be FROYO related, as all 2.2 ROMS and the rooted OTA do the same thing. I have had some luck by clearing the cache like crazy, but it is wildly inconsistent. Once I flash back to an older ROM, all is well.

I have tried several of Chevy's kernels, ulv, lv, and mv, from 0.8 to 1.0 ghz. No change. I have been meaning to try others, but I don't think it would make a difference. And besides, everything else runs so nice.

Oh, and I've also tried different basebands. No luck.
  14. Zataru

Zataru New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Minimum of 550, max 1000.
    Gov. is set for On Demand.
    No profiles.

Seeing as 4.6 is a FRG01 build, I'm very much looking forward to BB V0.5 (It's my understanding it will be a FRG01 build also.)

I'm sure Pete will not skimp on Video playback performance. Sounds like I can (And probably will) give SS 4.6 a whirl and test youtube playback. But I will be back to Bugless if there is no change in performance, or of course BB V0.5 comes out.

Thank you everyone for the info, I'm content chalking it up as a Froyo issue. Odd there hasn't been any "Fix" claimed or files to tweak for improved playback. Looking forward to 0.5
Search tags for this page

cannot play you tube video in yahoo brower

droid g3 video stops

youtube playback page