Youtube HQ apk

Big Cam

Reaction score
I registered and downloaded it, it actually works great. I guess it's the youtube app that will come with froyo.

For those addictied to youtube this is a must have.

I've uploaded it for the DF community. Not sure why an android forum wouldn't allow an apk file, so I zipped it

Once downloaded, go to Astro file manager, open the app browser, install the updates, and then open youtube go to settings and choose HQ as the default.

If the widget doesn't work, you may need to restart your phone and then re-add the widget. A little 2.2 goodness early.

Cheers

Attachments

• YouTube.zip
    592.1 KB · Views: 778

dclutter1

Reaction score
Very nice. I was trying to get the ability to set HQ as default a while ago. All I found was a hack that seemed unstable with no recent posts.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I registered and downloaded it, it actually works great. I guess it's the youtube app that will come with froyo.

I've uploaded it for the DF community. Not sure why an android forum wouldn't allow an apk file, so I zipped it

Once downloaded, go to Astro file manager, open the app browser, install the updates, and then open youtube go to settings and choose HQ as the default.

If the widget doesn't work, you may need to restart your phone and then re-add the widget. A little 2.2 goodness early.

Cheers

This isnt just the youtube hacked version, this is a different app?

Big Cam

Reaction score

Cheers

From my understanding this is the update that will be coming with froyo.(taken from android cental)

When you install it it is actually an update to the youtube app, not a replacement.

Also you can uninstall this update from Astro at any time as well.

OP
A

alucardx

Reaction score

Cheers

From my understanding this is the update that will be coming with froyo.(taken from android cental)

When you install it it is actually an update to the youtube app, not a replacement.

Also you can uninstall this update from Astro at any time as well.

that's my understanding as well, it's an update to the built-in youtube app.

i've also read it may break some other utilities that interface with youtube for downloading videos..

papy72

Reaction score
What is HQ mode?

Until the droid supports flash I have little use for youtube, as most of the stuff I want to see on there are FLV files. :(

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only works with wifi on, not 3G. If you are rooted and already have the HQ hack applied to YouTube, I would not switch to this.

To the person who said the hack was not stable, sounds like a problem on your end. The HQ hack has worked perfectly for me since the day it was released.

Zargon

Reaction score
Only works with wifi on, not 3G. If you are rooted and already have the HQ hack applied to YouTube, I would not switch to this.

To the person who said the hack was not stable, sounds like a problem on your end. The HQ hack has worked perfectly for me since the day it was released.

Under settings there is an option to always default to high quality video. I checked the option, and it seems to work for me on 3G.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to Kellex (who runs the droid-life.com site), "For those worried about the HQ playback not being automatic, you have to be on WiFi."

So you're saying that videos automatically default to HQ every time on 3G without having to hit the HQ option each time?

Zargon

Reaction score
According to Kellex (who runs the droid-life.com site), "For those worried about the HQ playback not being automatic, you have to be on WiFi."

So you're saying that videos automatically default to HQ every time on 3G without having to hit the HQ option each time?

Yes, I just tested about 20 different videos, before and after a reboot and every one of them defaulted to HQ. Before the option was checked, they were the standard quality by default.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
Anybody else having issues with the widget being unresponsive? At first it will work but then the widget changes and shows a video preview, a record button, and a search button and then both the search and record buttons are unresponsive. This only happens to me when the record button appears on the widget. I've tried this on cyanogen and bb.