YouTube App: "Sorry,this video is not available"...Why?

djk_dnb

Reaction score
Hello, All,

I am currently living in the bowels of Hell that is a life without internet service to my PC at home until the Comcast guy arrives tomorrow morning. I am both an internet junkie and YouTube groupie. Since wed don't yet have flash, I use the stock YouTube app to views videos on my Moto Droid.

Here's the problem...It seems that I can only view approximately 1/4 of the videos I'd like to see. More often than not, when I click on a video and select the YouTube App, I get an error message that says, "Sorry, this video is not available." It's totally random, and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the video size, length, age or any other obvious variable.

If any of fellow Droids could shed some light on this issue, I would be very greatful!

bloodstains

Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing. Not sure why it happens. I've suspected it has something to do with resolution or some other incompatibility, but I'll tag this thread just in case anybody actually knows.

OP
D

djk_dnb

Reaction score
Thank you, bloodstains.

Some details that I forgot to mention in my original posts include the fact I may indeed be able to view a video in it's entirety on the first try. However, it often stops playing midway, and I see that message, "Sorry, this video is unavailable." Also, it may even play all the way through, but if I try to watch it a second time, I then then receive the same error message.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you watching what some would consider inappropriate videos? Videos that have been removed but still show up as a video on the app will not play.

OP
D

djk_dnb

Reaction score
No, titans,

Any of the videos that refuse to play are public (not privated), that is to say that I can view the same "denied" videos on my PC without hesitation as the videos are public, without a doubt. As I mentioned before, the video may play flawlessly once, but then fail when I attempt to replay. More often than I'd like, I can't seem to gain access to them from the start. LQ, HD, old or new, it's completely random and frustrating. At times, I can't watch the LQ version of a 1 minute video, but seconds later, a 14 minute HD video loads almost instantly. I'm about ready to rip my hair out.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a theory about this...And am absolutely annoyed aswell I don't get why google can get their own crap to play right in Android :( you'd think we'd have a youtube app that Rivals the iPhone's since Google freakin own it but ohwell...Can't wait til flash is here.

Anyway...I'm thinking that it isn't in the right resolution. I've noticed that sometime when I try to play a newly added video available in my subscriptions it doesn't play right, but after a few hours it plays fine. I think it has to do with the youtube servers converting down to the lower res sizes, because this may take time it's not available for our devices right away and explains why it's available later.

Now, I've come across some videos that just won't play and I think it has something to do with an option the uploader somehow enabled that prevents down-grading the res...So that's why it'll never play on our droids.

So that's my speculation, I have no idea if it's valid but that's how I'm thinking about it lol

lyam

Reaction score
Some videos are not available due to settings that the uploader has set. I believe it is the "Syndication" setting. This is most often the case for copyrighted content owned by large content licensees, however anyone can make use of this setting.

On the other hand, I've heard of issues with videos that should be playable but cannot be played. Sometimes the video starts but can't complete, etc... Not entirely sure why but I suspect it's a bug in the app. It's a shame becuase I consider Youtube nigh unfunctional on the Droid. Loading is way too slow, half of the videos I'd like to see are unplayable. Hopefully Flash 10 might help the situation by bypassing the youtube app and playing videos in the browser directly.

jett78

Reaction score
Not all Youtube videos are viewable on mobile. Just what I heard. If you try the same vid through the browser, you should get that message.

mlcdroid

Reaction score
This is not really a fix, but sometimes (in fact, every time I've run into this problem to date, I think) I just keep hitting the video and play and the "video not available" notice goes away and the video plays. I've chalked it up to a slow upload so the viewer wants to "time out" -- sort of like when you have a big app and it tells you it's not responding, but if you just hit "Wait" rather than retry, it will eventually load.

It's pretty ridiculous that with Google's own product there are these problems, though.

PyroManiac

Reaction score
A posible "FIX"

I recently downloaded DROIDROOTPRO and it has a "youtube update". I never reallyt experienced many youtube issues, but I noticed the update works quicker in the search function, and loads videos quicker. I'll see if i can pull an APK off of the app for you.

Artimis

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is just the update to default to high quality video mode.....

don't think it will solve the problem in the long run but I would love to be proven wrong.