Youtube App Problem

paperlotus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First post here. I'm hoping someone can help me here. When I open up my Youtube app and try to play a random video, it gives me an error message that says "Sorry, this video cannot be played". It does play some videos but most of them won't play. I can't tell why it will play some but not others. What should I do?

artiface

Reaction score
same on droid

I have the exact same problem on the droid. Still can't figure out exactly why.

"Sorry this video cannot be played"

Most videos play fine but some come up with this message. If I download them with tube droid first then they play fine, so i don't think it is an encoding problem.

sterdroids

Reaction score
Do you go to Youtube.com through the browser or from the applications button for youtube on the phone? It seems that one is a lite version of youtube. Is that correct?

xfeathersx

Reaction score
If you try going to YouTube.com in your Droid browser it will tell you that your device isn't supported. Forrunately the phone comes a standalone client for the site. If you open your application dock you'll see it.
And it's pretty darn good, as long as you're on a WiFi connection. If you aren't, it will default to a low quality feed. But even if you can't get on WiFi the high quality feed is still accessable. Just open the menu, click more, then choose high quality. You will likely spend more time buffering by going this route, but on 3G it's really not bad at all

bburgdroid

Reaction score
You Tube videos don't play - Eris

Hi Folks -

new to Eris. having same problem as described in the original post. any further info about getting the videos to play? I'm using the YT app not the browser. Even logged in to my YT account.

Thx

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

new to Eris. having same problem as described in the original post. any further info about getting the videos to play? I'm using the YT app not the browser. Even logged in to my YT account.

Thx
The YouTube applet hasn't worked right since the Eris OS was updated in December. It's a known problem.

For more discussion of the issue than you want, take a look at:
Viewing videos ???? - Android Forums
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/34351-class-action-law-suite-youtube-app-disfunction.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/39349-youtube-app-works-sense-turned-off.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/39404-possible-youtube-application-fix.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/26958-most-youtube-videos-not-working-after-update.html

cjustinrun

Reaction score
I
Hi everyone,

First post here. I'm hoping someone can help me here. When I open up my Youtube app and try to play a random video, it gives me an error message that says "Sorry, this video cannot be played". It does play some videos but most of them won't play. I can't tell why it will play some but not others. What should I do?

I'm not sure what the exact fix might be, but I've noticed that if I switch to wifi (if available) I can watch the same videos with no problem. Works almost every times I've tried it.

izu516

Reaction score
It's a well known issue. HTC has addressed it and said that they're working on a fix to come out in an update. Until then, you have a few options:

1. Wait for the update
Don't worry, I'm not taking this option either :D

2. Dolphin Browser
You can use Dolphin Browser. Just go to m.youtube.com and find your video. Touch it and touch the Dolphin Browser option to download the video. You don't have to use Dolphin Browser to get here but it must be installed on your phone for it to work. Use this when you want to download a video or if number 3 doesn't work.

3. HTC Flash Player
If you try to play a YouTube video (outside the app, like in a browser), you also get the option to use HTC Flash Player. It tries to emulate the YouTube video interface and usually plays the videos well (not superbly great quality, but enough to get by). It doesn't always work though, but still works a lot more than the native app.