Your Warranty Replacement just might be a Droid 2 / Incredible

lmapp

Reaction score
About to change carriers (coverage issues) and my screen went out Thursday on my D1. Received replacement today (refurb), and it's like a new phone. I don't ever remember my screen being this responsive.

Happy ending with this one. Now, if anyone is looking for a "like new" droid...:)

cptncoke

Reaction score
well i got my my CLNR on monday and seen to be just fine just like my 1st droid was when i first got it so i hope it last.

CorkYRogers

Reaction score
I sent back another refurb on Monday. My 5th overall and 2nd in a week. This time the bottom left of the keyboard looked dented in. I can't even begin to describe it really, but I didn't take a chance. I called Verizon and just asked them if any tech can just help me fix the current phone I have now (gets really hot, shuts off about once a day, or it'll reboot itself about 3 times a day, massive battery drain). After the usual routine, "battery pull, reboot, reset to stock", I told the tech guy to just forget it. He wanted to send me another phone I just said no thanks and hung up. I was just so disgruntled with the whole situation.

About an hr later I got a phone call asking to be part of the Verizon customer service survey. Which I thought was weird b/c I didn't ask to partake in it. Anyways, answered honestly, at the end you can leave a detailed a msg, so I did. Basically stated I was on my 5th Droid, 4 having to be refurbs. Wish that instead of having the people at the store just do a battery pull and sending you a refurb they actually try fixing a phone. Also felt like I was an idiot b/c every tech person swore to me I had issues that no else has had. Today at work, a message was left from a Customer Service manager, so I'm going to call her back and just see what happens.

cptncoke

Reaction score
well that sucks. I just hope this one is not a bad one too bc i really like my droid (stock that is) its a great phone but ill guess time will tell.

jasaero

Reaction score
All these stories make me wonder what is up with VZW with the Droids and now the Fascinate. When you have such popular devices you and want to claim you offer warranty replacements you have to talk to the manufacturers about providing new units as warranty replacements also. I'm still kinda scratching my head why the Droid is going out of production before the first one built is even out of it's warranty?? VZW really needs to wize up and start offering new devices for warranty on these low availability new products or they will loose a lot of customers they just received that are still getting used to the sticker shock of VZW bills. I thought service A LOT better than this was part of the reason for that extra cost?? I should NOT have to wait for a USED phone in the mail when they CLAIM to have warranty swaps available in their stores!! This is just wacked. I asked the gal at the local VZW store what sorta phones they did have available to give out as warranty swaps and she basically said OLD JUNK PHONES. But basically claimed the smartphone stock shows up for short spurts giving you a lottery of sorts when you walk in for a warranty swap.

All the talk on here about how expecting a new phone is fraudulent is bunk. If you have a flawed phone and the providers claims they do warranty swaps at the store and has stock of the new version of your phone you SHOULD get that as the swap, PERIOD!! It cost Moto NO MORE to produce a Droid2 than it does a Droid1 or they wouldn't have just shut down droid1 production 100%. Also they wouldn't be priced EXACTLY the same if this were not similar in cost to build.

Basically I had no clue warranty replacement meant junk recycled phones when I signed up for Verizon. That probably works great for nonsmart phones as most issues are 100% hardware. Smartphones returns can be mostly software, but MANY can SEEM to be software when they are infact flawed hardware that works, but is unstable. You can't just reflash and recycle such devices without lots of troubles. I am sure there is some sorta test equipment they could use to make sure the hardware is good also, but that would probably cost more to verify than just handing out new handsets. Get with the program Verizon!! CLNR is NOT gonna cut it with smartphones and NONE of you folks should be accepting such without a fight. If this were the behavior of a MetroPCS, T-mo or Sprint cost service provider fine, but we are paying plenty for them to handle our blems more proper like if VZW wants to be a hardware retailer and service provider that also does hardware Warranty service.

jasaero

Reaction score
finaly after talkin got the supervisor and after 3 consecutive DOA droids, they kindly admitted they screwed me over and are sending me a droid 2

Sorry...can't resist: How did they screw you over?

They kept sending him perfectly re-certified D1's instead of a brand new D2!

My 1st re-certified screen felt like it would snap off, my second was perfect. I really doubt you could get 3 and have major issues with all three. Please enlighten us with the specific issues of each...

These are NOT refurbs!! Get that out of your heads people. And they are not even apparently documenting well what the returned phones issues are. Horribly unstable phones with possible memory or other hardware issues are getting reflashed and sent back out hoping people won't notice. Physically defective units apparently are also. Basically you have to get lucky and get one of the VERY FEW perfectly good phones the scoundrels out there hunting a droid2 or whatever else are sending back. In the chaos LOTS of defective phones that should be getting returned to MOTO for repair or scrap are just getting sent back out.

Technically, if these were all legit "hardware" warranty returns they would ALL be going to Moto for repair or scrap. Problem is that VZW thinks many have zero hardware issues and are just reflashing and sending back out. When someone is claiming mostly software issues they should be giving people a hard time to make sure that it isn't JUST software. If someone is actually running 100% bone stock and having software issues, it's probably hardware and a reflash will fix nothing. Once they believe it's not a fraudulent customer or they are claiming physical rather than software flaw, ALL SHOULD GOTO MOTO for repair, PERIOD. Customer available stock SBF reflash regime for home reflash would fix A LOT of this. Make customers reflash to stock or take to store to reflash to stock before allowing a return and recycle.

None of this is happening so a crap load of junk phones are remaining in the CLNR cycle as VZW hopes some will just accept the flawed phones that probably need repaired or scrapped.

Here I am with a droid that has had a loose USB jack from day one on the DAY OF RELEASE that finally gave out and now requires lots of wiggling to get a charge to start and then must not be picked up until charged and I am afraid to take a CLNR as the phone is great otherwise. Accepted to try that anyhow and am just going to keep mine the maximum period of time to make sure the new one is stable and such. Really though I should have been able to walk into a store and swap for a CLNR. I don't mind driving by the store to swap phones on occasion if the CLNR's are flakey until I get a good one, but they can't even keep them in stock there or the warehouse properly and the ones they do have available are all going back and forth rather than to Moto as a true warranty SHOULD!!! New droid2 or X should be standard protocol when you can't keep WORKING CLNR stocked properly at a store PERIOD.

cptncoke

Reaction score
i was having software problems and asked if the store would reflash my phone and they said they dont do that here so i ask if there was a store that does and was told no and thats when the sale person told me that they would do a warranty clam so i asked if i would be w/o a phone bc when i worked at nextel you was w/o a phone if you did that she told me no. So that is Verizon doing if they are doing the Warranty clam for me and not using moto thats their problem not mine.

thundercats

Reaction score
Before obtaining my Droid back around last Thanksgiving, my previous phone was an LG Voyager (the original). While I loved the phone, it had a few problems. I took it back to the verizon store and was told that since I had chosed Asurion's insurance plan I would need to contact them for a replacement. After contacting Asurion, they shipped me a refurb Voyager the next day. Upon receiving it, I noticed that the LCD on it would flicker in and out so I promplty sent it back. The second refurb they sent me had the exact same problem. I contacted Asurion's customer service and sent that one back as well. The third refurb (remember that all of this happened in about a two week span) they sent me had a broken hinge and so I quickly called Asurion back and left them know what was going on. I told them that this was getting beyond ridiculous and that I did not want another Voyager and wanted a different device that was comprable to what I had. The CSR put me on hold and then said "OK, we'll ship you a new LG enV Touch". Needless to say, my new LG enV touch arrived shortly thereafter, and I was good to go for a short time.

I think if you keep getting bum refurb phones from Asurion, as long as you complain about it, they should be willing to send you a different phone that's comprable to what you had. I realize that it's a headache having to do this, especially when you just want the original device to work, but it seemed to work for me. Maybe I just got lucky?

Tino

Reaction score
Sorry...can't resist: How did they screw you over?

They kept sending him perfectly re-certified D1's instead of a brand new D2!

My 1st re-certified screen felt like it would snap off, my second was perfect. I really doubt you could get 3 and have major issues with all three. Please enlighten us with the specific issues of each...

These are NOT refurbs!! Get that out of your heads people. And they are not even apparently documenting well what the returned phones issues are. Horribly unstable phones with possible memory or other hardware issues are getting reflashed and sent back out hoping people won't notice. Physically defective units apparently are also. Basically you have to get lucky and get one of the VERY FEW perfectly good phones the scoundrels out there hunting a droid2 or whatever else are sending back. In the chaos LOTS of defective phones that should be getting returned to MOTO for repair or scrap are just getting sent back out.

Technically, if these were all legit "hardware" warranty returns they would ALL be going to Moto for repair or scrap. Problem is that VZW thinks many have zero hardware issues and are just reflashing and sending back out. When someone is claiming mostly software issues they should be giving people a hard time to make sure that it isn't JUST software. If someone is actually running 100% bone stock and having software issues, it's probably hardware and a reflash will fix nothing. Once they believe it's not a fraudulent customer or they are claiming physical rather than software flaw, ALL SHOULD GOTO MOTO for repair, PERIOD. Customer available stock SBF reflash regime for home reflash would fix A LOT of this. Make customers reflash to stock or take to store to reflash to stock before allowing a return and recycle.

None of this is happening so a crap load of junk phones are remaining in the CLNR cycle as VZW hopes some will just accept the flawed phones that probably need repaired or scrapped.

Here I am with a droid that has had a loose USB jack from day one on the DAY OF RELEASE that finally gave out and now requires lots of wiggling to get a charge to start and then must not be picked up until charged and I am afraid to take a CLNR as the phone is great otherwise. Accepted to try that anyhow and am just going to keep mine the maximum period of time to make sure the new one is stable and such. Really though I should have been able to walk into a store and swap for a CLNR. I don't mind driving by the store to swap phones on occasion if the CLNR's are flakey until I get a good one, but they can't even keep them in stock there or the warehouse properly and the ones they do have available are all going back and forth rather than to Moto as a true warranty SHOULD!!! New droid2 or X should be standard protocol when you can't keep WORKING CLNR stocked properly at a store PERIOD.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Before you open your mouth you should have an idea of what these CLNR's look like. They have clearly had all the outer casing components replaced including glass and keyboards. You step in and make some half hazard argument about verizon reflashing swaps and sending back out when that is not the case. Unless you work for their receiving department who recertified these phones you should keep your opinions to yourself. Just sayin'

Detonation

Reaction score
All the talk on here about how expecting a new phone is fraudulent is bunk. If you have a flawed phone and the providers claims they do warranty swaps at the store and has stock of the new version of your phone you SHOULD get that as the swap, PERIOD!! It cost Moto NO MORE to produce a Droid2 than it does a Droid1 or they wouldn't have just shut down droid1 production 100%. Also they wouldn't be priced EXACTLY the same if this were not similar in cost to build.

Build cost is only one small factor. What about opportunity cost? Why send a customer a new Droid 2 for free when they could eventually charge them $100-200 dollars and get another 2 years on their contract? Or when that Droid 2 could be sold to a new customer?

While I can't completely defend CLNR's, I will agree with the above poster that you have no idea what you're talking about.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
I was told by a Verizon rep that the Droid 1 and Eris were "test run phones" for Motorola's lione of Droid smartphones. When my wife complained of being sold a prototype of an Incredible(that's what the eris was) they offered her a droid 2 as a replacement. They sent me another Droid 1(my 4th) and refused to send me any other device as a replacement. I got tired of the problems with the Droid 1 and went out and bought myself and my wife EVOs which I must say are the best phones we have ever owned.

Codiusprie

Reaction score

You should really do some research before you make post that are filled with this much incorrect information. No where in your contract does Verizon or Moto promise you a new phone or a new version of your old phone as a warranty replacement. They say they will send you either a new phone or a certified like new replacement, which is what they are doing. You are not entitled to a new D2, get over yourself.

cptncoke

Reaction score
now is this lagging common problem with 2.2 now?? bc my droid is doing it again for app to app and it not like im running alot of apps i have gmail unread counter pandora yahoo messager facebook and angry bird and alchemy the update on facebook is not on and im not using a widget its just a shortcut.

Tino

Reaction score
now is this lagging common problem with 2.2 now?? bc my droid is doing it again for app to app and it not like im running alot of apps i have gmail unread counter pandora yahoo messager facebook and angry bird and alchemy the update on facebook is not on and im not using a widget its just a shortcut.

Are you rooted?