Your thoughts on the design aesthetics of the Droid

LordKastle

Reaction score
Disagree with the latter post on this thread. Rushed? On the contrary, very well planned out. The keyboard promotes a sleek and stealth design [I use the physical keyboard 95% of the time to type]. The reason why physical keyboards are a thing of the past is because if you look at every model they look like cheap plastic button blocks on a toddler's toy. Goodjob Motorola.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Keys have to be flat to keep the devices profile slim. Go intgo a Best Buy and check out a dummy unit which have SLIGHTLY raised/rounded keys and you will see that the slider display drags on them leaving marks.

Personally I like the keyboard (using it now) and find it very easy to type on. I do think it has an aesthtic appeal as well because of its simplicity and low profile look.

I've gone the button route for some time. I appreciate and welcome change.

As far as the overall design and look. Aside from the OS the look of the device was icing on the cake. I LOVE the industrial look and feel. You know you are holding something and its not cheap plastic like 99% of the devices on the market.

Mojo

Reaction score
Come on guys! I have posted enough on this site for you to know I love my Droid? But really, lord castle, CK. You guys cannot really believe that the kepboard was well thought out. I mean it is not to the point that it is unusable. But it definitely takes practice to adjust to. The look at first glance is not bad. And I understand to make it fit it had to be somewhat flat. But when you look closer, at the detail of it. It has many flaws. I have compared mine to others in my store and they are the same so its not just mine. But there is high and low spots all across the keypad. The d-pad in most cases is just worthless. Motorola could have done a much much better job. And I am sure that if there is a Droid 2 this will be one thing that is addressed. Or at least I hope it is.

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
I love the feel of it. It feels substantial, worth the money I paid for it. Not like a cheap piece of crap...lol

the only thing that bothers me is hitting the search button accidentely, but I'm getting better at not doing that.

johfiner

Reaction score
I absolutely love the design, even the physical keyboard. I also really like the heft. No complaints here!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Come on guys! I have posted enough on this site for you to know I love my Droid? But really, lord castle, CK. You guys cannot really believe that the kepboard was well thought out.
I know you love the Droid never said you didn't : )

About the keyboard being well thought out. It's a simple keyboard designed to be just that. There are different options they could have gone with and they all would have achieved the same result. A usable keyboard.

Some people have a problem with the design of it and some do not and I totally respect that. The bottom line for ME is that it works as it was designed to do.

I understand and am not bashing you for not liking it. People have likes and dislikes.

I'm only saying it works properly, it's solid and it's not complicated to type on. So for me it is a non-issue.

In regards to high and low spots, I don't have them so I can't comment on them.

The D-Pad I hardly even use and when I do need it it works. I don't use it to do complex tasks. So again it's a non-issue for me.

As long as the device works properly and I can do everything EASILY and EFFICIENTLY I'm happy.

I'm pretty easy to please : )

Lastly, If I don't like the design of a device I won't buy it. Design is important to me.

Mojo

Reaction score
Oh dude I didn't think you were bashing me or my opinion... its kinda hard to convey the way I was trying to say it thru text. Wasn't really trying to argue my point or anything. More just poking at ya a little with my opinion. I think the keypad thing will always be a personal preference.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I love the idea of the D-Pad...I think for various tasks it can be essential, like scrolling up and down in an application. Not everybody loves to touch their screen at every moment.

Even though I really don't use it much for the following as I rarely play games on my phone but it is a great idea for using it for various games.

I think there was conscious thought to make the keyboard very stealth and different from the primitive block plastic buttons of the past that are on their way out. This is the only keyboard that looks acceptable to me without looking like a child's toy.

cdodge

Reaction score
i love my droid but more for its inner beauty. I don’t like the appearance of the phone one bit. it kind of reminds me of the old Hummer H1, its ugly but its built like a tank and its built for a prupose. T

he droid does dent and scratch pretty easy but I am sure it can take a beaten and keep on working.

as far as the keyboard goes, it is terrible. the people who love the keyboard have either never used a good keyboard or are trying to talk themselves into liking it to justify their purchase or the have small fingers.

Go use a touch Pro 2 keyboard for a week and then come back to the droids keyboard and then tell me you still love it.

I am not trying to flame here I am just stating my opinion.

don’t get me wrong i love my droid and would not trade it for any other phone at the moment.

thelion

Reaction score
feels real good in the hands.

the only thing i think is it weighs a bit much, supposedly heavier than my old Tilt, but I always felt the Tilt weighed more.

Anyway, anyone tried using it in bed while laying down? Gets a bit tiring if i do say so myself.

Sure you're not tired from "laying in bed"? lol.
I've laid there for so long with my Droid in hand that I've had my arm go numb from being upright for so long that blood was having a tough time getting there! :icon_eek:

LOL! yes I'm sure.

got the blood flowing elsewhere huh? LOL

It is heavy, but weighs less than one of my gf's teats, and I'm always lifting one of those so overall it's not so bad in bed. But she keeps asking me to download an app that keeps the vibrater on all the time. What's up with that?

Well goodness...looks like you boys were up to no good!

As for the keyboard, I simply dislike that it is so far left. I have small hands and therefore it is hard for me to use it. I use the virtual keyboard however and it works (worked :( ) just fine.

bacalao

Reaction score
Hey Droids, any chance you'll back up the weight comparison you made with some pictures.. I'm just a little skeptical haha

Droidette

Reaction score
I love the weight of the Droid - I hadn't realized how heavy it was until I happened to pick up my old Voyager after using the Droid for a month. I thought my Voyager was missing it's battery or something because it was so light! I think the Droid is very well made and feels like a real piece of equipment, not a cheap toy.

Also, I love the keyboard because I have medium length girly nails and the little flat keys are perfect for me to type on. When the buttons are raised or rounded, my nails tend to slip off and makes typing tough. I love the Droid! I just need it to stop re-booting by itself.....at least once a day for unknown reasons since the update. I hope the next update in January fixes that.

Oh, and the Droid works great laying in bed, but to avoid getting beaned by it if you fall asleep (I know from a near-miss!), lay on your right side to maintain the portrait view. Laying on your left side makes it go to landscape....but you all know that.....