1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Your thoughts on the design aesthetics of the Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by cyber3d, Dec 25, 2009.

1. cyber3d

cyber3d New Member

Anyone know who designed the Droid? As a former industrial designer I'd guess that it was designed in the USA. I doubt very much that it's design team came from Great Britain (I believe the Palm Treo was designed in GB - they seem to hate adding reveals to their products) and it looks too aggressive to have been designed in Japan. I'd even bet it was designed on the East Coast and not on the West Coast. Personally, I really like the design. It's got the feel of a finely crafted hand gun. All business. I even like the weight - heavy. Sure, it has it's share of dislikes but, it's a classic from the get go.
  2. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

I cannot put it down :) Enough Said!! :)
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I can't envision it being any other way...
  4. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

In theory at least it was designed in the "midwest" (Schaumberg, IL if memory serves correctly) with input from the West Coast (mountainview, CA).

Motorola has a history of "over-engineering" their phones (certainly seems to hold true in the case of the Droid). And it was said that Google had some input (and even asked them to soften and round the corners slightly from an even boxier pre-build.
  5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i love it. it's rock solid and has good weight to it. i work at a Radio Shack and just about all the phones we sell feel like toys in comparison.
  6. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

feels real good in the hands.

the only thing i think is it weighs a bit much, supposedly heavier than my old Tilt, but I always felt the Tilt weighed more.

Anyway, anyone tried using it in bed while laying down? Gets a bit tiring if i do say so myself.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

This is what makes it a solid device...not some cheap toy..
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Sure you're not tired from "laying in bed"? lol.
    I've laid there for so long with my Droid in hand that I've had my arm go numb from being upright for so long that blood was having a tough time getting there! :icon_eek:
  9. dezymond

LOL! yes I'm sure.

got the blood flowing elsewhere huh? LOL
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I should've proof read my own post... wow that looks bad. :icon_eek:
    Wasn't what I meant but I can't imagine anyone interpreting it any other way! Lol... dammit. :icon_ nono:
  11. dezymond

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. oh man i usually go to another forum for laughs but i'm getting plenty today here. LOL!

a Merry Christmas indeed.
  12. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

I like it. It's solid, and feels like I got something for the price I paid.
  13. Droids

Droids New Member

It is heavy, but weighs less than one of my gf's teats, and I'm always lifting one of those so overall it's not so bad in bed. But she keeps asking me to download an app that keeps the vibrater on all the time. What's up with that?
  14. takeshi

takeshi New Member

I suggest getting the Hitachi Magic Wand instead.
  15. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Overall the design is great! I really love the look. I wish it did not have the little lip where the mic is, but is not too bad. I just personally feel it would make the device look more stream lined. Other than that, the keypad is the worse thing on this phone. It is horrid really. Not only is it terrible to type on (yes I know one can get used to it) but the design is just terrible and looks very rushed. If you look at the detail of it it looks like a 3 yr old put it together. The buttons are not only flat but some of the spacing is crooked, the three keys on the far left slope down. There is low spots in it. I could go on but will stop.
  16. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Disagree with the latter post on this thread. Rushed? On the contrary, very well planned out. The keyboard promotes a sleek and stealth design [I use the physical keyboard 95% of the time to type]. The reason why physical keyboards are a thing of the past is because if you look at every model they look like cheap plastic button blocks on a toddler's toy. Goodjob Motorola.
  17. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Keys have to be flat to keep the devices profile slim. Go intgo a Best Buy and check out a dummy unit which have SLIGHTLY raised/rounded keys and you will see that the slider display drags on them leaving marks.

Personally I like the keyboard (using it now) and find it very easy to type on. I do think it has an aesthtic appeal as well because of its simplicity and low profile look.

I've gone the button route for some time. I appreciate and welcome change.

As far as the overall design and look. Aside from the OS the look of the device was icing on the cake. I LOVE the industrial look and feel. You know you are holding something and its not cheap plastic like 99% of the devices on the market.
  18. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Come on guys! I have posted enough on this site for you to know I love my Droid? But really, lord castle, CK. You guys cannot really believe that the kepboard was well thought out. I mean it is not to the point that it is unusable. But it definitely takes practice to adjust to. The look at first glance is not bad. And I understand to make it fit it had to be somewhat flat. But when you look closer, at the detail of it. It has many flaws. I have compared mine to others in my store and they are the same so its not just mine. But there is high and low spots all across the keypad. The d-pad in most cases is just worthless. Motorola could have done a much much better job. And I am sure that if there is a Droid 2 this will be one thing that is addressed. Or at least I hope it is.
  19. sincitygrrrl1

sincitygrrrl1 New Member

I love the feel of it. It feels substantial, worth the money I paid for it. Not like a cheap piece of crap...lol

the only thing that bothers me is hitting the search button accidentely, but I'm getting better at not doing that.
  20. johfiner

johfiner New Member

I absolutely love the design, even the physical keyboard. I also really like the heft. No complaints here!