Your Moto 360 may not get Android Wear 2.0

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Jeffrey, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    [​IMG]
    If you're one of the earliest adopters, your Moto 360 won't get Android Wear 2.0 when it arrives in the fall. Yes, you'll have to buy a new smartwatch if you want that on-screen keyboard or third-party watchface widgets. It's uncertain what will happen to other older Android Wear devices, such as Samsung's Gear Live or the first ASUS ZenWatch, but there's a real chance that they'll meet a similar fate.

Google regularly ends major OS updates for Nexus devices after 2 years, and it's tighter control over Android Wear updates suggested that you'd see a similar schedule for wearables.
    When it comes to a smartwatch, I think people will hold on to them as long as possible and feel there should be support as long as the hardware can handle it..

What are your thoughts?

Source

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    If they are doing it simply because of a time frame and not whether or not the hardware can run the software/new features, thats B.S. If the hardware won't be capable of running 2.0, then theres no way around it. I have a feeling though its because of just the time frame which pisses me off.

3. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    It's unfortunately an expected outcome of moving from an eternal function, telling time to multiple computer based functions. Wrist watches have been called timepieces for as long as they've been around, and for good reason... They were at least initially and almost exclusively designed to perform one primary function with a collection of secondary functions all tied to the same metric... Time, something that essentially is infinitely the same process forever.

With the introduction of smart watches it takes telling time (day/date/sun/moon), and adds an essentially unlimited array of functions, only limited by our imagination and the inherent limitations of the screen size, memory and processing power. Thing is, as these things advance the watch, which used to be a timeless piece of apparel has now jumped right into the planned obsolescence that is the computer world.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,180
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    This is what upsets me so much ...Moto you losing me

6S PLUS

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +622
    As a 1st Gen 360 owner, I don't care. I love my watch and will continue to use it. Eventually I'll get a newer one that will have AW 2.0.

6. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Folks, it's not Moto, it's the shift in technology. In other words it's inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,180
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I'm not buying it ...sept 2014 and it's not two years old ...it can run 2.0 they just don't want to bother IMO

6S PLUS

8. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Welcome to the world of being a Samsung any portable device owner. We've been being abandoned before a device is outdated since before Android

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

#8 mountainbikermark, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +588
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I might be wrong, but wasn't it a known fact that the internals were mainly from the leftovers of an already 2 year old different mobile device at the time of release? I purchased the OG Moto360 knowing it wasn't going to be around long. As a matter of fact I got the Moto360 (2015) as soon as it was released and it's an all around better watch by basically any metric. I suspect I'll be looking for another watch in maybe two more years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Yes, the processor was not cutting edge at time of release and the manufacturer caught some criticism for being what people called outdated technology. Do I believe that the watch won't run 2.0? Well no. But what I do believe is that maybe it won't perform to expected standards and so releasing 2.0 on this watch could reflect negatively on the upgrade and cause negative press and disappointing performance. Essentially you could see either moderate to no performance increase or a result of greater demands even a possible reduced performance. This would not look good for either Motorola or Google.

11. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,380
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    It sounds like LG made a Twitter post stating that the original LG G Watch will not get it either, it's too old also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,380
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I read that some folks are saying that older watches like the ones mentioned here are not getting 2.0 because they don't have a physical button, which will be used for "Back" functionality in 2.0. Maybe that's the reason, we can't run 2.0 on watches that don't have the physical external button?

• Like Like x 1