"Your location is unavailable"

liguy257

Reaction score
Seriously, is this a Droid thing or is just a GPS thing? I would say at least 50-60% of the time the phone is unable to get my location (making it useless as GPS in these instances. Lately it seems to be worse. I live on Long Island so it's not like I'm in the middle of Wyoming. I love the Google Nav (favorite aspect of the phone) but I have to admit, it's very frustrating when you rely on it or need it suddenly and it doesn't work.

Anyone else constantly having this problem?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since you don't explicitly state this, can you confirm that GPS is actually on? Have you read any of the other identical threads for possible solutions?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Since you don't explicitly state this, can you confirm that GPS is actually on? Have you read any of the other identical threads for possible solutions?

+1.

There have been several times I attempted to use Where! only to find I didn't have GPS turned on. >.<

Meadowlands

Reaction score
I had this problem with my DROID. It would just sit there at "Searching for GPS". I found out an update from one of my apps was causing the problem. I'm not saying that is it, but it could be.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I was having this problem, then I went and looked at the settings, I only had GPS satellites enabled, and not network location. When the phone is only using satellites, it can take a few minutes to get a good lock on your position. If you want to see this process, then download the GPSTest app. It will show how the phone communicates with satellites. Once I enabled both network and satellite location, everything was back to normal.

AlicynDrew

Reaction score
I am so glad you posted to check the settings and to check satellites and networks. For some reason today my Droid thought I was in Northern Ireland driving through a forest when I was actually in urban Northern VA. I could not get it to detect my location at all.

I set it to use both and it's working again. I'm hoping this fixes it for good since it won't have networks to rely on when I'm out in the car.