1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Your favorite ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by versusxiii, Apr 11, 2010.

1. versusxiii

versusxiii New Member

Hey all, just rooted my Droid last night. I'm currently using ROM Manager and simply running the newest Cyanogen mod. I was thinking about looking in to others, but 1.) I'm not sure which ones are the best and 2.) I'm not sure that I'm willing to wipe my data/etc and wait for it all to load back again. :p

But while I contemplate these wonderful consequences of moding, which ones do you all enjoy the most?
  2. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

personally, I think bugless beast v0.9 is the best. there was a poll on this very subject less than a week ago that also indicates that bugless beast is the best

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

Well I just started doing this a few days ago, and I went with Ultimate Droid by way recommendation from another person. I actually wasn't interested in rooting, but the the name Ultimate Droid is rather enticing.
    I've found that the Nandroid backup/restore process for installing new roms, as well is going back to your old ones, is the simplest way to go. Are you familiar with that process?
  4. VolDroid

VolDroid New Member

5. versusxiii

versusxiii New Member

No, I am not familiar with it. Would you mind elaborating? Thank you.
  6. necr0

necr0 New Member

Smoked Glass all the way:icon_ banana:
  7. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I think my sig sums it up nicely. Been great for me.
  8. Novalok

Novalok New Member

i currently run the stock 2.1 firmware rooted and OCed with Chevy 7slot LV 1-1k and its pretty sweet. Stable as hell and does what i need it to
  9. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

elaborating now, its alot of writing.
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

There are tons of great ROMs out there. What some people may call their favorite, others may hate. Every one that has a subforum here, has good ROMs. Try one or try them all. There are threads that pop up everyday where people say their favorites, people's favorites change too. There is no 1 ROM to rule them all.

About you losing your apps, back them up using MyBackup v2.3.0 Application for Android | Tools or Titanium Backup (root) v2.9.7.3 Application for Android | Tools . Installing a new ROM on top of your data sometimes will cause problems. E2A those programs restore as well.
  11. talkdj

talkdj New Member

Blackdroid is a great guy and makes some terrific rom's. UD 10 available tomorrow.
  12. versusxiii

versusxiii New Member

So, if I was to want to try UD, should I mess with UD9.8 now or just wait for UD10 if it is supposedly releasing tomorrow?
  13. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

The way I back everything up is, go into Rom Mananger, go down to the bottom where it says Flash Alternate Recovery 'SPRecovery 0.99.3B', click that and it will will make your recovery screen at bootup that of SP Recovery (I don't know if this is the most efficient way, I just know it works for me). After it goes to SPRecovery, you will notice that alot of the Rom Manager options are grayed out and at the very top of the menu in the Recovery section, it should read Current Recovery: SPRecovery 0.99.3, and Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod1.8.0.8. (Regardless, we are looking for the SPRecovery part).

Now just below all of that you should see an option called Reboot Into Recovery, click it and it will ask you if you want to reboot into SPRecovery 0.99.3, click OK.

The phone will reboot and automatically go into recovery mod, and you will notice at the top it will (or should) Android System Recovery <2e> and Patched by SirPsychoS (0.99.3b), plus you will see a little yellow droid in the middle of the screen. Now, us the Volume Down Key to move down to the option that says "backup/restore", then use the camera button to select it.

The next screen will present you with 4 options, you Simple nandroid backup, Simple nandroid Restore (latest), Advance Nandroid backup, and Advance Nandroid Restore. Select Advance Nandroid backup.

The next screen will present you with quite a few options, Set Backup name, Perform Backup, (*) backup BOOT, ( ) backup CACHE, etc. You should see what I'm talking about. What you want to do is use the Volume Down key to move to the options that do not have Astericks (*) in them, and use the Camera button to put one there. So basically every option should have a asterick/star in between the parenthesis.

Once you do that, select Perform Backup, and it should start backing up all of your current phone setting, to include you ROM, your shortcuts, everything except for your apps (which you should have already backed up on your SD Card with Astro.

Once that is all done, you can reboot your phone normally. Now if you plug in your phone, and go to the SD Card, you will notice a new folder called "nandroid". Inside of that will be a folder with a random name assigned to it. That is your Nandroid backup, you can rename that folder whatever you want as long as there are no spaces (im not sure if periods are allowed or not, I would just stick to numbers, letters and hyphens).

So now that you have a backup of your current state, you can now venture into other ROMS without the worry that you can't easily get back to where you are now. I'd still recommend following proper installation instructions of the ROM you are looking into, which all pretty much tell you to Wipe cache and Data, which I will explain next.

If you decide to change ROMS and don't like the new one, just reboot into SPRecovery like I explained before.

Go to "wipe cache partition", select and run it. Then select and run "wipe data/factory reset". After those are complete, select "backup/restore", then "Advance Nandroid Restore", then "Choose Backup". Inside of "Choose Backup" you will notice the nandroid backup folder that you did (it will either be the default name or the custom name you gave it). Select it, then it should take you back to the screen with all of the restore option. Make sure all of the option have an Asterisk/star in them, then click "Perform Restore". It will start restoring everything that you backed-up in the previous steps that we took.

If anything is inaccurate, please correct me.
  14. daze

daze New Member

I have 2 Droids, one has Bugless Beast and my main phone is running CyMod. Just my opinion, but those are the only two stable ROM's for me. Simply Stunning would be up next for me.

Ultimate Droid seems pretty good, I just had a bad experience with it during the time I installed it. Since I work off my phone alot of times, not having my gmail sync correctly at the time I had it installed did me no justice. I uninstalled it in less than 15mins so I never really gave it a chance. Might want to give it a try, it is supported by Droid Forums.
  15. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I'm going to say ultimate Droid is on of the greats. its fast and has absolutely no problems for me. plus all the features are great. its super easy to install especially because it will eventually have its own app in the market place. so look into UD 9. 8 and tomorrow v10 comes out
  16. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Cyanogenmod is the best I have ever used..... created from actual source code by cyanogen..... and ported to the Droid by Koush.

Not one other ROM that I know of will show you the source and also share it with you

Most other ROMS are copies of cyanogen or the stock base and tweaked from there.

Cyanogen for me.... I'm hooked!
  17. versusxiii

versusxiii New Member

Very informative, thank you very much Poke. :D
  18. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

The above method of nandroid restoring is also a method used to install ROMs also. Developers like The BlackDroid (Ultimate Droid) post a link to the nandroid backup version of there ROM. You can dowload that and place it in the Nandroid folder of your SD Card, then reboot into SPRecovery, do the data/factory wipes that I talked about before, then go navigate to the Advance Nandroid Restore, except this time you only need "restore BOOT", "Restore Data" and "Restore System" selected with Asterisks/stars. Then you go into "Choose Backup", select the ROM nandroid backup folder, and "Perform Restore"

Again, if anyone finds any discrepancies in my statements, please correct me.
  19. xkaper

xkaper New Member

I have been completely happy with Adamz Smoked Glass V6. If I were you, I would do what I did and read up on all of them. Go through the changelogs and see what features they have, read through the forums and see what problems people may have had with them. All the ones that I have tried were good, Adamz has been the most stable for me. Some people have problems with certain roms while others dont have any. Researching will help you tremendously.
  20. Pokebreaker

Pokebreaker New Member

Well, I just realized that I can take screenshots from the reboot screens, I guess I will go ahead and turn this in a guide since I've already typed everything out. Pictures say a thousand words.