Your Droid Physical Keyboard

M1dnite

Reaction score
Is the raised keys a design fail or a design win?

Ie. Did Moto know that this was going to happen and intended this to take place? Or was it an accident that turned out good.

Last edited:

serveitup911

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread. It came up in a search.

My father and I got droids on the same day in mid december 2009.

He has been complaining how he hated his hard keyboard, and I always wonder how that could be. I tell him that I love my keyboard!

I took a look at his keyboard yesterday, and he has the flat keys. I got lucky and have the nicely bubbled keys. I figured that all were like mine. He tried my keyboard for a few minutes, and loved my bubbled keys.

He wants to get Verizon to swap his droid for one with bubbled keys; I doubt they will do that though.

I consider myself lucky, and feel bad for those with the flat keyboards.

cuskit

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread. It came up in a search.

My father and I got droids on the same day in mid december 2009.

He has been complaining how he hated his hard keyboard, and I always wonder how that could be. I tell him that I love my keyboard!

I took a look at his keyboard yesterday, and he has the flat keys. I got lucky and have the nicely bubbled keys. I figured that all were like mine. He tried my keyboard for a few minutes, and loved my bubbled keys.

He wants to get Verizon to swap his droid for one with bubbled keys; I doubt they will do that though.

I consider myself lucky, and feel bad for those with the flat keyboards.

Now if you were the "Good Son" you would swap with your Dad! :) What an Easter present that would be! :)

Seriously - I also have the flat keys and hate them! Update us if your Dad is able to swap his out - maybe then they'll be hope for the rest of us! I got mine in November - probably the last batch with the flatties..

Oh well - there's too much horror in the world for me to get antsy over a keys shape! :) Happy Easter! :) mikey

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine are flat too.. Im waiting for someone (I would but to lazy) to invent something like small rubber dots the size of a pinhead to put on top of the keys to help differentiate, prob is making sure it fits when you close it. But all in all, I am used to it now and type rather good on it, but its no voyager keyboard.. Waiting for the first phone to come out with replaceable physical keyboards.

Rich

when i had my voyager i could text real fast the keys were just right, then i got env touch and i didnt like it, got used to a flater keyboard. im still getting used to the droid keyboard, its hard to feel the key difference.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Replaceable physical keyboard skins????

Damn that's a good idea...

That would make somebody rich

rubberducky

Reaction score
Mine is the "bubbled" one.

FWIW I just pulled a Droid out at work, that we just got in last week and it has the flat keys. I've sold both kinds, and only have 1 in stock at the moment so I can't compare two from different dates/batch numbers

strobez395

Reaction score
cimg5589.jpg

cimg5590.jpg

cimg5592.jpg

cimg5593.jpg

cuskit

Reaction score

Wow! Those pix REALLY show how defined the raised bubble is! I'm so envious!

Though I'm just now looking at my computer keyboard (apple) and I notice that the top surface of these keys are actually concave vs your convex keys. And I love my Apple keyboard (please don't go there) and am now wondering if the concave design actually "cups" your fingertips and holds you onto the keys better than the bubble type. Do you find yourself with "more or less" typos than any other keyboard you may have used in the past? mikey

hookerdj

Reaction score
damn mine arent like that geez i would type on mine alot more if i had keys like that....i just use smart keyboard pro with the ipad theme it works pretty good

Badadio

Reaction score
Giving only a select few the raised keyboard is bush league. What with the easily shattering screen and this latest botch I am reminded of why I hate Motorola so much. They should offer full reimbursements/exchanges for people without the raised keyboard.

Badadio

Reaction score
How can Motorola/Verizon let something like this happen? Can anybody imagine the uproar if Apple distributed two types of the same iPhone with one being obviously superior?

Badadio

Reaction score
Any moderator care to address this issue/monumental botch?

hookerdj

Reaction score
i just emailed motorla with this issue and i am anxiously awaiting to hear what they have to say

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Hmm, doesn't seem like that big of an issue to me. I got mine at the beginning of December. The keys aren't 100% flat, but the don't look as bubbly as the one in the pics, they just have a slight curvature. I've never had a problem typing on it so I can't complain.

xythil

Reaction score
WOW WHAT IS THIS?! I just bought my Droid a week ago... HOW THE HECK did I get a flat junk keyboard?

How do i get this bubbled keyboard?!!?