You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
you answered your own question.

greed

The potential profit from tiered data and overages outweighs the gain in marketshare. They have nothing else to charge us overages with, unlimited SMS unlimited Minutes... no unlimited data. until there's a new feature they can charge us for on our mobile phones data is the gold mine.

They can charge late fees.. disconnect and ETF... but compared to data overages and tiered data plans the amount is absolutely minuscule

How so? If they increased their market share by even 5%, that is massive. That influx of millions of new subscribers, would offset the small hit per person that they would take on an Unlimited plan, knowing that the average person won't use any more data than they are now...

The truth is that not that many people CARE about Unlimited plans, so there is no real reason for VZW to keep offering them. Wifi is at home and in so many places, and a major segment of the population spends time on email and low bandwidth stuff...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's that well known corporate CYA. The competition can easily match any VZW offer. So why take the risk that they may not get the volume to justify the change.

They can match it in price, but not on coverage or service.

The competition ALREADY offers Unlimited... so it would be VZW matching them, not them matching VZW. To go back to UDP, even if it is just perception, it would take away the ONLY competitive advantage that the other carriers have...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I get all that. At the end of the day, it is VZW's call to make. If they decide to nix the UDP's, they can and will. People can threaten to leave, and maybe 1 in 10 will. And of those, a huge chunk will come back because they miss being on the better network...
If you are a TMO, ATT&T or on any carrier and have excellent reception in your area your not going to be looking to VZW. People just don't fix what's not broken.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
How so? If they increased their market share by even 5%, that is massive. That influx of millions of new subscribers, would offset the small hit per person that they would take on an Unlimited plan, knowing that the average person won't use any more data than they are now...

The truth is that not that many people CARE about Unlimited plans, so there is no real reason for VZW to keep offering them. Wifi is at home and in so many places, and a major segment of the population spends time on email and low bandwidth stuff...
a simple increase in market share while a quick burst of money does not offset the amount of, I say again, potential profit you can gain from overages... it's like overdraft fees in banks.... they aren't going to get rid of them because they make millions, possibly even billions, a year in overages. the potential is what makes the difference.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW doesn't make much money on overages, nor do they want to (lousy customer relations). The purpose of overages is a PENALTY to incentivize people to purchase more data than they might need. VZW doesn't want to ding you for $10 every once in a while, they want you to go to a higher tiered plan and hit you for $10-$20 more EVERY Month.

I remember seeing the overages for VZW....want to say it was in the ballpark of $100M a year - for a company making like $100B a year?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW doesn't make much money on overages, nor do they want to (lousy customer relations). The purpose of overages is a PENALTY to incentivize people to purchase more data than they might need. VZW doesn't want to ding you for $10 every once in a while, they want you to go to a higher tiered plan and hit you for $10-$20 more EVERY Month.

I remember seeing the overages for VZW....want to say it was in the ballpark of $100M a year - for a company making like $100B a year?
already gave the numbers above.... they only net about 9B a year.

and forcing you to raise a tier instead of getting overages goes hand in hand in my book. you're just paying said overages in a way that doesn't look like you went over your data.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
As an update, I ended up just buying a used LG G4 on swappa. It should be here monday. After thinking about all of this I am a little worried. I was able to get in on a glitch 2 years ago when I bought the Note 3 which allowed you to buy the Note 3 on contract at the subsidized price without changing your plan. It also extended my contract 2 years. This locked in unlimited data for me for those 2 years. That contract expires in October. They could take away my unlimited at any point.
They won't, I have been on a month to month contract with unlimited data plan for over a year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Additionally, I don't see the relevance of your free candy analogy. No one received free unlimited data plans. Those that have them, pay for them.
I pay twice for my Unlimited data. Once for the data and another to keep the plan (because Verizon still charges me like I'm paying for a subsidized device). So yeah, I feel double entitled.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I pay twice for my Unlimited data. Once for the data and another to keep the plan (because Verizon still charges me like I'm paying for a subsidized device). So yeah, I feel double entitled.
What double charge are you getting? You should't be paying more than the $29.99 a month for UDP.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
What double charge are you getting? You should't be paying more than the $29.99 a month for UDP.

read the bold text.

we still pay as if our phones were subsidized. at least that's the point he's making

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may not seem like a lot 5 years from now. How is that relevant?

How much data should they give you for $30 a month? Put out a number that you feel your measly $30 entitles you to, indefinitely?

Hmm. Just saw this. Wow is all I can say. I agreed with VZW to $30/month for unlimited data. I was grandfathered into that pricing and told I could keep it as long as I made no changes to the plan. So now you say my $30 is measly? However, you fail to realize that it is merely the amount for the data. I pay just north of $150/month for two smartphones with 700 anytime minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data. So how much data should I be entitled to for $150/month? Since you seem to be the expert.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, the rules change, and they have that right. I saw the writing on the wall a couple years ago, and being that I don't use a ton of data, it made sense to move off it...

Ah! We get to the root of Squire's actions in this thread! ROFL

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Hmm. Just saw this. Wow is all I can say. I agreed with VZW to $30/month for unlimited data. I was grandfathered into that pricing and told I could keep it as long as I made no changes to the plan. So now you say my $30 is measly? However, you fail to realize that it is merely the amount for the data. I pay just north of $150/month for two smartphones with 700 anytime minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data. So how much data should I be entitled to for $150/month? Since you seem to be the expert.

This is the exact plan I have and I have been buying my phones outright for close to 5 years and when they switch my unlimited off it is just the push I need to go to Tmo or one of the prepaid plans out there. Do I use a lotof Data?? YEah, but I have been paying for that data for years when it wasn't feesable to use 10 or more gigs a month

Chris

Ryan3317

Reaction score
Why not start a new line with a data plan than drop the plan to a reg line and than active the new phone on your unlimited plan. Than you can upgrade every two years. That's what I do now. You can change phones every day with out changing your phone plan. I pat the $10.00 a month to have a dummy line. I've been doing this since they got rid of the unlimited data.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk