1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

You want predictive text wth physical keyboard here is how you do it. You are welcome

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by adriantc56, Nov 18, 2009.

1. adriantc56

adriantc56 New Member

[​IMG]
    Download this file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/htckeyboard

Connect your droid to your pc via usb then mount your droid. Open your or explore your droid's sd card via pc.​

Cut or copy the two files from your pc into the droids sd card.

Disconnect the droid from the computer after the files have been moved.

Now go the market and find you a good file manager. I use astro file manager.

After you have installed Astro file manager open your file manager, have your file manager look into your sd card. Astro sometimes will open looking into your sd card by default. The main point is to find the two files that you just moved into your sd card. Look for the Clicker file and the HTC_IME2 file. just find the files now for verification.

After you have located the files click or select the HTC_IME2 file first. A box might pop up and if it does select open app manager. Now remember I am using astro file manager so your file manager may be different on how it installs the app. If you are familiar with your file manger then go through your normal installation but I cant tell your how to install these files with another file manager. Now select install so your file manager can install the file.

Now repeat the same step above with the Clicker file.

After installing the two files go to the droid's settings, then to Language & keyboards settings. You should see Touch Input and touch input settings. Select Touch Input to enable it (green check mark) click ok on the attention window. Then select Touch Input settings. Then select Text input. Put a green check mark on everything on the page but you don't have to put a check mark on the sound effect or vibrate if you don't want to. I dont like sounds when I press the keyboard so I left it unchecked and checked vibrate.

There is a calibration for this too but you dont have to do anything with that right now

Now go back to your home screen and go to your text messaging application. Open your physical keyboard and just leave the To: field empty because we aren't sending the text to anyone right now. Go to the empty text entry box below and long press or press down without lifting your finger until you see a box pop up. Select Input method and then on the next window find and select Touch input (green dot filled).

Now the input method window should have disappeared and left you with your blank sms window. Ok now to get the predictive text to pop up at the bottom of the screen you have to physically touch the text entry field first then start typing with your physical keyboard.

If you start typing with the physical keyboard first it will not trigger the predictive text. At anytime if you dont get predictive text just tap the area where you are entering your text with you finger and then start using your physical keyboard.

This htc keyboard isnt designed for the droid's larger screen so yes you will see some sizing and format problems if you use it as your primary touch screen keyboard. I actually am still more accurate with it than the standard droids onscreen keyboard but that is up to you. To change your onscreen keyboard back to the defualt one just long press again on any text entry field and change the input method.
  2. Coolmarve

Coolmarve New Member

wow awesome ill have to try this
  3. RJNavarrete

RJNavarrete New Member

Tagging this for later. Very interesting.
  4. phamous

phamous New Member

i've noticed when using the htc_ime on the tmobile g1, that there's a significant amount of lag when typing on the keyboard as the IME makes suggestions for you... if the point of installing the htc_IME is to speed up typing, then the lag incurred cancels that out. :(
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone who tries this on their Droid.
  6. phamous

phamous New Member

i've installed the htc ime on my friend's droid to test it out. Like the OP stated, the htc board will look pixelated because of the dpi densities on the droid's screen compared to the htc phones' screens. The typing experience varies user to user, best thing to do is install the apk yourself. It won't void your warranty and you don't actually have to install the clicker.apk that goes along with the IME unless you want to have touch calibration (some say it helps, others don't notice a thing).

When typing in landscape mode WITH the touchscreen, the IME board is cut off (again due to lack of pixels) you'll know what i mean if you test it out yourself.

Honestly, there's a lot of lag when typing on the physical keyboard and using the touch IME at the same time. The board was designed to be used on phones without a physical keyboard. The fact that you now have text prediction and more lag prettymuch cancels out the pros of having it installed.
  7. adriantc56

adriantc56 New Member

Well I havent notice any lag at all. People wanted it and here is a way.

The main thing it gives you predictive text with physical keyboard when you are composing emails and text with very little lag if any. Try it and if you like it keep if you don't delete it.
  8. marke

marke New Member

It works!!

hey guys, Adrian installed this on my Droid as a Beta of the procedure before posting here, it took a little massaging to get it running but now it is great!

There may be some lag but for me with my dyslexia and my barley prehensile paws this is great. I am fastest up on the glass but when I need more screen real-estate I can use the physical keyboard Farly well now.

The main thing is it proves there is no good reason this should not work like this out of the box. A few lines of code from Motorola and we should have predictive text when ever we want it.
  9. adriantc56

adriantc56 New Member

Thanks Mark for your words. Im just trying to give people more options an please people don't be so harsh it isnt worth all that. I know we all have opinions but don't scare people away from something that may improve their typing. It really is a good spell checker while have the physical keyboard out with more screen without the on screen keyboard using half of it. You might love it:)
  10. GolfProRM

GolfProRM New Member

I just installed this, and while the calibration (clicker.apk) force closes on me, the HTC keyboard works great. I especially love it in portrait mode. I can type significantly faster on the HTC virtual vs. the stock virtual. Seems to do a better job of picking up on my mistypes as well.
  11. adriantc56

adriantc56 New Member

did you get the predictive words though? Because that is what everyone on here will want to know. I believe some will be too scared to try if their isn't proof that it is working good and thanks for the post. I never got the calibration to work either but I wasn't sure if the htc ime file would work without it since that is what I had on my phone. I wanted to give everyone my exact working setup.
  12. GolfProRM

GolfProRM New Member

Yeah, I get predictive text in the portrait virtual keyboard, the landscape virtual keyboard, and the physical keyboard (after touching in the text box as the OP described). Works great. Don't notice any lag at all when using the physical keyboard.
  13. largeselection

largeselection New Member

Hopefully this feature will be built into one of the OS fixes they release. Although I haven't used another phone that has this feature built in for the physical keyboard.
  14. usermmg

usermmg Guest

I can confirm that this works- it doesnt seem to work in these reply boxes though..still tinkering...
  15. alexhendershott

alexhendershott New Member

Sweet! This works!

It would be awesome if someone could re-skint he keyboard somehow though. It doesn't look that great, but I like it so much more than the stock droid one.
  16. GolfProRM

GolfProRM New Member

took some screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

edit: in case it isn't clear, the last screenshot is the predictive text when using the physical keyboard.

Attached Files:

17. thremix

thremix New Member

How did you get that keyboard?! LOL I can type SUPER fast on the iphone!
  18. jrocketdroid

jrocketdroid New Member

this was one of the first things I installed on my Droid - found out about it through one of the other forums. It is by fast 100xs better than the stock android soft keyboard - and I type faster on it than the stock keyboard - def worth installing!
  19. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

I couldnt decide if this should go to apps or hacks. SO I moved it to hacks. Nice work and enjoy
  20. thremix

thremix New Member

Yes but where do you get this keyboard?! LOL
Search tags for this page

android predictive text physical keyboard

black bolts keyboard
droid 4 physical keyboard predictive text
google predictive text havked
how do you overrride the predicktive text when sending a tex
how to deactivate the predictive text on touch screen pc key
how to turn off predictive text on htc aria

how to turn off t9 on htc aria