"You can do it"!

liferefugee

Reaction score
good reading before rooting your DX... Once you understand these, go for the root.

I recomend making sure you understand the process, search for the new 2.2 OTA rooting procedure (same as D2).

Also read the thread about unbricking your DX. Understand what can go wrong and how to fix it.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
also make sure you have a large amount of battery before you flash anything

Horch it

Reaction score
Backing up the thing is good advice to work around potential problems, but backing up a phone is totally different than backing up a computer? Does anyone have a good tutorial for doing just that: BACKING UP THE DX! Is it as simple as plugging the DX to the USB port of ones computer?

The_Iceman

Reaction score
I rooted mine within the last 48hrs ..... mine already did the verizon OTA software upgrade to 2.2 so was a bit worried about rooting with the new official OTA on it.

bowhunter what version of android did you start out with to start playing with roms and whatnot?

I just installed some stuff like titanium backup, busybox, wifi tethering... and some other stuff. Just wondering where your OS version was before you started off on the ROM/THEME stuff.... as I am also interested in "trying some out"

thx

OP
B

bowhunter

Reaction score
I rooted mine within the last 48hrs ..... mine already did the verizon OTA software upgrade to 2.2 so was a bit worried about rooting with the new official OTA on it.

bowhunter what version of android did you start out with to start playing with roms and whatnot?

I just installed some stuff like titanium backup, busybox, wifi tethering... and some other stuff. Just wondering where your OS version was before you started off on the ROM/THEME stuff.... as I am also interested in "trying some out"

thx

I started with the first leaked 2.2 (2.3.9), then Birdmans ROM FlyX, then 928 BGX 2.3. Now I am (2.3.15). 928 is not a ROM its a theme.

zonaRSX

Reaction score
Interesting... I've been on the fence also about rooting. Eeeek, I've read so much about it and still worried lol.

Bowhunter, any quick links you can provide that helped you make the leap?

Crimsongost

Reaction score
What happens if they send out a update....do you think you will be left out? Don't you feel like your raping your phone? Why its it so available of it could brake your phone. What did you back it up on

Root is not for everyone , but to answer your question I have been running 2.2 for over a month. How long have you had it? Having root allows me to fix things and change things as I want, not wait for motorola wants to fix or change on my phone. There is a risk in everything I do every day how many people die on the way to work every day? That is no reason to stop driving. No it's not the same, however fear is no reason NOT to do something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
Do you have to manually go through and backup each individual item on Titanium Backup or is it a way to do them all at once?

OP
B

bowhunter

Reaction score
Do you have to manually go through and backup each individual item on Titanium Backup or is it a way to do them all at once?

It has a batch option. Open it, hit backup/restore, then hit your menu key on the phone. You will see it there.

Horch it

Reaction score
Backing up the thing is good advice to work around potential problems, but backing up a phone is totally different than backing up a computer? Does anyone have a good tutorial for doing just that: BACKING UP THE DX! Is it as simple as plugging the DX to the USB port of ones computer?

This question was never answered. Sigh!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score

This question was never answered. Sigh!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Well, to answer that particular question correctly, the simple answer is No...it isnt "as simple as plugging your phone into the USB port of ones computer"....there is more involved in the process.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/28436-performing a Nandroid Back-up.html#post290126http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html#post290126 <---That should give you a better understanding of how the "back-up" process is done in Android...click it and read a bit...:)