"You can do it"!

bowhunter

Reaction score
Well I finally did it. I woke up two mornings ago and said to my self, I want root. So I took a day and a half doing research, collected everything I needed, and began. Achieving root went so well I wanted more. Custom ROM came next, then the theme.

I feel like I've discovered the wheel. I don't see why I have always been on the fence about rooting. I recommend to all of you fellow androids out there, take full advantage of the power you have in your hands!

chefb

Reaction score
What happens if they send out a update....do you think you will be left out? Don't you feel like your raping your phone? Why its it so available of it could brake your phone. What did you back it up on

OP
B

bowhunter

Reaction score
I backed everything to titanium back up (apps, system info,ext..). As far as updates, from what I can tell the developer of the ROM (that you choose) they are pretty good at getting updates out fast if there is a problem, bugs or what have you. Just take your time, research and go from there. Its fun, and I'm learning in the process.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
What happens if they send out a update....do you think you will be left out? Don't you feel like your raping your phone? Why its it so available of it could brake your phone. What did you back it up on

he has a better chance of getting updates and he will get them sooner most likely but rooting can be dangerous. You should not do it unless you are ready and prepared to follow instructions exactly.

OP
B

bowhunter

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't tried it, the 928Droid BGX 2.3 theme is amazing. Thats what a Droid X should look like.
But yes, you should do your research first. I have to admit, it was a little scary.

chefb

Reaction score
Soo you risked a $200+ phone for pretty wallpaper......

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

.....I LOL'ed.

First of all there is very little risk involved. yes there is some but it not a great amount.. This is why root is not for everyone.

He did more than replace a wallpaper..

Updates: he will receive before non rooted users will :)

To the op.. Congrats on taking the step and getting it done no problems

djsiva

Reaction score

Look at it from the consumer side. He paid $200 for a crippled phone. Why not get your money's worth and unlock the full potential of the device? Anytime I get a new device, I immediately root the device and flash the rom of my choice.

OP - great job on taking the leap.

Nate

chefb

Reaction score
One of my co workers has the droid 1 rooted and he was
Trying get me to look into it....It does seem cool just a little
worried about the warranty thing. Thanks for the advise

OP
B

bowhunter

Reaction score

Just make sure the wife, and kids are out of the house. Go to your man cave, lock the door, and become enlightened. :icon_eek:

Darkseider

Reaction score

Just research it a bit and get everything you need prior to rooting. As long as you follow the instructions EXACTLY it is pretty much impossible to brick a Droid. Droid 2 and Droid X can sorta kinda be bricked if you REALLY screw up. Other than that you should be fine. Hell I rooted my Bro-in-laws Incredible a few days ago with Unrevoked and it was literally one click. Now he is a ROM and kernel flashing fool! He is trying them all until he finds the one he likes best.

B.Wallace85

Reaction score

Just research it a bit and get everything you need prior to rooting. As long as you follow the instructions EXACTLY it is pretty much impossible to brick a Droid. Droid 2 and Droid X can sorta kinda be bricked if you REALLY screw up. Other than that you should be fine. Hell I rooted my Bro-in-laws Incredible a few days ago with Unrevoked and it was literally one click. Now he is a ROM and kernel flashing fool! He is trying them all until he finds the one he likes best.

You know what.... I think I might go through with it. :icon_eek: Could you give me some links to material I should read before rooting? And is there a one click root for Droid X?