Yikes! 621 OTA is trying to update me

baboon619

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone last night and now have everything in place to do a nandroid back up before sbf'ing to a new ROM and I just got a notice from VZW wanting to update me to OTA 621. WTF?

mrdorunjr

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone last night and now have everything in place to do a nandroid back up before sbf'ing to a new ROM and I just got a notice from VZW wanting to update me to OTA 621. WTF?

i am rooted as well, and am curious about this new update that i woke up to? how can i stop it from asking me to update it...i surely do not want to do this...anyone know what the update is for?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Freeze the updater app (can't remember the name). That will stop it.

Sent from my D2G

edit: looked in the system dump I have on my laptop, its BlurUpdater_Vzw.apk

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Freeze the updater app (can't remember the name). That will stop it.

Sent from my D2G

i believe it should be like... blur-updater.apk../blur-verizon-updater.apk... it should be something like that...

if it's downloaded... reboot into recovery... and wipe the cache... that should delete the file

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
Scrolled thru everything listed in Titanium and nothing listed like that. I cancelled the download until later.
Since I just did a nandroid backup will that update try and show up in the future if I ever sbf back using this backup?
If I freeze stock apps like Blockbuster and Madden NFL that will stop the OTA from installing correct?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Freeze the updater 2.3.3 and you'll be good. Wipe your cache partition also like nemo said.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
:hail: Frozen Updater 2.3.3 with Titanium + cache wipe = One happy person :icon_ lala:

Tomorrow it's SBF time!

Savagerun

Reaction score
Why are you sbfing? Unless you just want to try to sbf which is fine but in your case there's no reason to if you just want to install a rom.

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
May have used the wrong term. What I plan on doing is going to CM7. From what I was reading it was an sbf. But please correct me if I'm wrong cause I've read way too much info in the last 2 days!:icon_eek:

Savagerun

Reaction score
If you want cm7 then here's the link to check out http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gb/ looks like the current build is 4-12-2012 and you'll also need to flash gapps which is google apps and that's in the link also. The gapps you want is 20110828. You'll use your droid2 bootstrap to get in recovery then wipe data /factory reset and wipe cache partition then select advanced and wipe davlik cache then select install zip from sd card then select choose zip from sd card then find your cm4dx zip and install it. Once it says installation complete then select choose zip from sd card and find your gapps zip and install that also. Once that's done just select reboot system. There's also plenty of videos on youtube on Installing roms on the DX so you can check that out also.
EDIT... One important thing to do right now if you haven't already is go in your settings and select accounts and press your google (gmail) account and sync your contacts. Otherwise when you install a rom you won't have contacts. Verizon backup assistant won't be available on the rom. You can also backup your contacts to your sdcard but just make sure they are backed up to your google account.

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
Thanx for that important note about backing up contacts to google but does make a ton of sense. I haven't seen that posted anywhere yet.

According to the info over at the link you posted seems as though there is some issues with CM7 regarding the camera and bluetooth which is why I was wanting to install a ROM in the first place. A bit tired of loosing pictures. CM sounded like the rom of choice but need to look further into it now. A stable version isn't listed either (but build 154 is the last nightly) and I'm guessing the issues above is why, but in the end I'll probably end up trying out CM7 for awhile just to see.

Savagerun

Reaction score
What's your system version? Go in settings then press about phone and see what your system version is. Im guessing 4.5.605?
Reason im asking cuz you mentioned 154 nightly which has to be installed on the froyo kernel. Since your on gingerbread you can't install that, those are old builds and unsupported the ones you can install are in the link i gave you. If your looking for a rom which everything works great then check out vortex rc1 or liberty 3. Just make sure whatever rom you pick is for gingerbread, if your not sure just ask.

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
yes it is the GB 4.5.605.
Thanx for putting that part straight for me but a bit more confused at this point. Is CM4DX actually CM7?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yes it is, its cm7 for the Gingerbread Kernel. Just make sure any rom you want says it can be installed on gingerbread 4.5.602 or 4.5.605. 602 and 605 are the same when it comes to flashing roms.