Yet another which rom question!

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Roms' started by steven6282, Aug 6, 2011.

1. teknotronik

teknotronik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    steven6282. I use my phone very very much and I am in 4G turf. Don't have so much doubt. I had an hour and 18 minute call yesterday and only dropped my battery life by 8%. I am a previous employee from Verizon Wireless and I speak the truth. Instead of bashing the idea try it out and post your results. Using Google Voice is a great voicemail replacement. And it's FREE!

Good luck!

[​IMG]

#13 teknotronik, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. steven6282

steven6282 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Even with the picture I still find that hard to believe for a stock battery based on what I've seen. Maybe I've got a really bad phone, or you got a really good one. 12% display, how much time was it on? What is your brightness set to? My phone can barely do better than that on the extended battery. On the extended battery right now I'm at the 1d 0h 35m my battery is at 32% mark and my display has used up 49% of that with it set to auto brightness on for 58 minutes. 6m 8s of voice calls is 8%. I don't even have Dialer in my list.

Perhaps if you have it on Wifi more often that is one of the things that eats up less battery for you. I hardly ever have mine on wifi.

3. steven6282

steven6282 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In the interest of completeness, I tried gingeritis just to see if it had the battery life being raved about in this thread.

My results were less than stellar.

Under normal usage, after being on battery for 8 hours I had 10% battery left, display on for 1 hour 45 minutes used up 38% at around 10 - 20% brightness. 20 minutes of voice calls used up 45%. And the rest was distributed among the normal stuff.

Just as pathetic, possibly more so than all the other roms I've tried. So it isn't the rom that is the problem here. Either my stock battery is defective, my phone is defective, or these phones just plain suck for battery life no matter what you do.

On a good note, I did discover that Wifi does draw tremedously less power than 3G or 4G. On another test (back on damf stripped 1.8) using Wifi exclusively (can only do this on the weekends when I'm at home most of the day), after being on for 18 hours the battery was at 40%, display at 10 to 20% brightness on for 1 hour 15 minutes used 45% of that, wifi used 16%, but I didn't use the phone for any phone calls during that time. I imagine if I had though based on other results it would've eaten up a lot more battery. Phone conversations seem to eat the battery faster than any other thing on this phone.

4. craigboy

craigboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My results with Gingeritis were very similar, I think the phone just sucks for battery life. I don't even think about not using the extended battery any more. Luckily for me I don't mind it.

You may want to switch to the Bionic when it comes out, word on the street is it's getting very good battery life

5. steven6282

steven6282 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My only problem with that is being able to upgrade to it without paying full cost. I only got this one cause my original droid crashed and I had to get something else. I've got until this Saturday to decide if I'm going to keep this phone or not, just trying to decide if I can either deal with dismal battery life, or a huge hump on the back of the phone.

6. teknotronik

teknotronik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is crazy to see how different phones give various results. It all lies in the kernel of the rom. Every different phone performs uniquely differently. I personally could not be happier!

7. texazranger09

texazranger09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i will definitely say that roms make a huge difference. i've always ran dbamf and one rom in particular with a particular kernel gave me so much battery life i literally didnt know what to do with it. i had a hard time getting it down with heavy usage. next rom update all that went away. i think i got around 36 hours on the stock battery...and yes i have a screenshot to provide if need be. man i wish i could get battery life like that again.
    to me...it is without a doubt all in the kernel...we need more kernel devs in here to liven this phone up again. remember on the og droid how many kernel choices there were....that seemed to cover the entire board for everyone from sucky phones to uber phones, now it's like no one cares about the tbolt anymore. sadface