yet another 'stuck at M logo' problem

nathan66669

Reaction score
Real quick, I know how to fix it and all but here is the problem

My buddy doesn't want the latest update to GB that VZ rolled out...i won't go into why, but certain apps won't work. I came up with a great idea, install SSX2.2 GB rom. Everything goes great, loads up no problems at all

I start to program his phone...he doesn't know what his gmail logon was. Now he lost all 700 of his contacts. No problems there, I made a backup. Just to double check, i flashed latest CWR (which I think it was still flashed current) and the ran the D2 bootstrap. Tried to reboot into recovery, and nothing. Stuck at (red) M logo forever.

Sooooo, I SBF back to the last file I had (which was a Froyo file). Reroot, CWR the whole shibang. Try to load the recovery, and now stuck at white M logo. Did some reading and realized my mistake (back up won't load over froyo). So after a 3hour download of the newest SBF, I put that on. reroot etc etc and was able to restore.

Got back to his account, he checked his info, didn't know the password. I realized he had the backup assistant set to save his contacts. I figured I would just use that then and make a new gmail since he didn't use it. reloaded SSX2.2 and realized it doesn't have backup assistant. The version on the market is backup assistant PLUS, which is the VZW cloud server. It won't work on the version of BU assistant he had.

I tried to get back into the CWR and load the backup once again, and same thing, stuck at red M.

Right now, I've got the phone back to the original backup, but I do not want to do all this again. What am i doing wrong in SSX2.2 that keeps getting me stuck? Is there a different way to boot into recovery that I should be using? i've always used Koush's droid 2 bootstrap (yes on a DX) since it kept working after GB and the DX bootstrap doesn't. Any help? Don't want to go through more hours of the same thing.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Ssx is a 2nd init rom so you can't use bootstrap app while on it. To get in clockwork recovery press your power button then select reboot then you'll get more options and select recovery.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Chazdel

Reaction score
Real quick, I know how to fix it and all but here is the problem

My buddy doesn't want the latest update to GB that VZ rolled out...i won't go into why, but certain apps won't work. I came up with a great idea, install SSX2.2 GB rom. Everything goes great, loads up no problems at all

I start to program his phone...he doesn't know what his gmail logon was. Now he lost all 700 of his contacts. No problems there, I made a backup. Just to double check, i flashed latest CWR (which I think it was still flashed current) and the ran the D2 bootstrap. Tried to reboot into recovery, and nothing. Stuck at (red) M logo forever.

Sooooo, I SBF back to the last file I had (which was a Froyo file). Reroot, CWR the whole shibang. Try to load the recovery, and now stuck at white M logo. Did some reading and realized my mistake (back up won't load over froyo). So after a 3hour download of the newest SBF, I put that on. reroot etc etc and was able to restore.

Got back to his account, he checked his info, didn't know the password. I realized he had the backup assistant set to save his contacts. I figured I would just use that then and make a new gmail since he didn't use it. reloaded SSX2.2 and realized it doesn't have backup assistant. The version on the market is backup assistant PLUS, which is the VZW cloud server. It won't work on the version of BU assistant he had.

I tried to get back into the CWR and load the backup once again, and same thing, stuck at red M.

Right now, I've got the phone back to the original backup, but I do not want to do all this again. What am i doing wrong in SSX2.2 that keeps getting me stuck? Is there a different way to boot into recovery that I should be using? i've always used Koush's droid 2 bootstrap (yes on a DX) since it kept working after GB and the DX bootstrap doesn't. Any help? Don't want to go through more hours of the same thing.
I have your fix...drove me nuts for a long time ....here it is and works great!
Symptoms: After upgrading Rom Manager, or after a fresh Gingerbread SBF, you can't boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
Reason: Rom Manager executes a script containing this code:
dd if=/sdcard/clockworkmod/download/download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shadow.zip of=/preinstall/recovery/recovery.zip
It wants to convert and copy the new CWM Recovery package to your /preinstall/recovery/ folder. It always did this before, but the filesize of the new recovery has changed. This requires a certain amount of room... room you might not have given the new size, and given the fact that the Gingerbread SBF and All-in-One packages will put junk into your preinstall folder (if you're like Iceman0803, you're about .01mb shy of having enough room).
Solution:
1) Using root explorer, go to /preinstall/app/ and delete any apks you don't use (NFSShift is a great one to delete, its huge)
2) Reflash Clockworkmod Recovery in ROM Manager.

Now you can reboot to CWM Recovery through Rom Manager. Enjoy.
OR through the power button in SSX

OP
N

nathan66669

Reaction score
awesome guys thanks. I guess I'm so used to dealing with DXs and D2s that always need bootstrap. I think I used several roms on my wife's global, and if I remember they all still needed the bootstrap.

Still never figured out why the Dx only comes with 2GB SD card. i will report the bionic comes with 16GB

Chazdel

Reaction score
Droid x

The Droid x came with 16 gb card new....maybe it was a reconditioned one. Hope the fix worked out well...

OP
N

nathan66669

Reaction score
The Droid x came with 16 gb card new....maybe it was a reconditioned one. Hope the fix worked out well...

Hah, he got hosed then! I'll have to let him know that. 2GB is tiny to put on a backup and have pictures. Had to delete stuff just to download things.