1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Yet another paranoid question concerning overclocking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by otis, Feb 15, 2010.

1. otis

otis New Member

My apologies for a thread topic that I'm sure has been beaten to death, however with all this overclocking power in my hands (thanks to sholesmod 2.0.5 which is very nice) I'm tempted to run the phone well past the usual 800/250MHz setting I run it at.
    My phone appears stable at 1.2Ghz.
    Now, is there a definitive answer as to whether overclocking your Droid really reduces its lifespan? Would overclocking lead to gradual cpu slowdown as well or is it purely just in terms of how long it lasts before it dies?

Given that SetCPU throttles the phone back and forth between settings as opposed to maintaining a high clock rate at all times, it would see that the average temperature of the phone would be well below any critical range.

I'm fine running the phone at 800MHz, it runs very smoothly at this speed. However, of course I'd like to run it at the fastest speed possible that doesn't wear my phone down.
  2. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Honestly if 800 is fine with you then I would go with that.. You say you want to run it as fast as you can without hurting the phone, but I say you should run it as slow as you can without it bothering you. No one has had the droid long enough to tell any "long" term side affects but my best guess is, just like any other electrical device, that it will eventually slow down over time.
  3. pthance

pthance New Member

Best OC answer I've heard yet.
  4. kennyg23

kennyg23 New Member

Im running 1ghz. It seemed to improve my battery life also. I tried running 1.2 ghz for about an hour and my battery life dropped 20% that quick.
  5. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Time will tell.... I'm leaving mine at 1Ghz and hoping for the best...
  6. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

I am running 800 and it works great for me. Besides if you go from 800megs to 1gig chances of you actually telling THAT much of a difference is pretty slim and, in my own opinion, not worth the chance. Remember that to run at 1gig or higher you are pretty much running it at almost twice the power it was designed for.
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+ best answer yet... No reason to go faster if you're happy with a lower speed (I ran @ 800 and found it great, just recently went to 950 and to be honest... with the exception of benchmarks there's no real noticeable difference).

Temp is always a issue with processors... added to the fact your CPU has NO heatsink(s) and virtually NO airflow... you make the call:icon_ devil: but in general the longer a processor runs at a higher temp (REGARDLESS of it's max temp rating) the shorter it's life will be.
  8. pthance

pthance New Member

700MHz is what I do. It flies and I still feel like I'm pushing it too hard. I'm wary of overclocking because I've watched friends kill their personal computers cpu's in 12-18 months by overclocking only 10-20% above rating, while my cpu would last until I felt the need to upgrade. Just food for thought since we are running around with little computers in our pockets.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I've been overclocked for about a month and a half now anf I did worry about it a little until they found how to get a temp reading directly off the chip. Once I could see those temps, I no longer worried. They were no where near the max for this chip. I don't worry about it now.

Prior to getting that temp monitoring ability, I rationalized the danger away with the logic that our phones, assuming history will repeat itself, are designed to last 6-10 years of normal use. I figured I'd have this phone 2 years or less. I did not think we were inflicting the kind of abuse that wold cut the phone's life by enough to kill it in less than 2 years.

For me, either way of looking at it means my phone is going to get me to the next one. beyond that, I don't care. But, even if it only lasts 6 months, to me it's worth it. I'll buy another one and do the same thing until the next phone comes along. I've spent my life hotrodding cars, motorcycles, phones, computers, etc. No time to stop now.

Just remember, anything worth doing is worth over doing!! And secondly, it's just a phone!
  10. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Haha, thats retarded. lol :)

yea a very pricey phone.
  11. otis

otis New Member

True. However my girlfriend will seriously kill me if I screw up my Droid through my simian-like understanding of rooting/oc'ing. She bought it for me as a gift...:icon_eek:

"Honestly if 800 is fine with you then I would go with that.. You say you want to run it as fast as you can without hurting the phone, but I say you should run it as slow as you can without it bothering you. No one has had the droid long enough to tell any "long" term side affects but my best guess is, just like any other electrical device, that it will eventually slow down over time."

This is a good answer.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Wow... I normally agree with you BayouFlyFisher but there's just a LOT in that post the doesn't fly... First I don't know of ANY smartphone that's meant to last 6-10 years... h3ll I don't even know of too many dumbphones that can go that long.

Add to that what pthance says above - overclocking PCs even a little DRAMATICALLY shortens their life and that's with full heat-sinks and airflow (and the majority of the people that OC their PCs ADD cooling to make sure temp isn't an issue)...

Our CPU is stocked @ 600Mhz, so even a OC to 950Mhz is a 50% increase that (as monitored but the actual CPU temp) makes a HUGE difference in the actual operating temperature and we have no way to add cooling. There is generally a big difference between 'operating' temp and max temps, and TI and ARM have been VERY reluctant to discuss the info. I've monitored how much of a difference OC'ing to a moderate 800Mhz can make so it's only reasonable to figure this could drastically shorten the CPUs life.

Now, I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but they do need to be aware that it has the potential to greatly reduce the phones life. No one knows yet, it will be interesting to see in 6-12 months if we are regretting our decision(s) in hindsight.:icon_ banana:
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Isn't the Droid CPU rated for 600mhz - 1ghz? And we're staying under the heat ratings for the CPU. So are we really shortening life cycle that much?
  14. otis

otis New Member

Well that's frightening.
  15. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Well at least if it comes to this then we know that were not alone... LOL
    I dont see why it would be rated up to 1ghz but then only be ran at 550mhz (doesnt make sense to me). I believe it was rated for 600mhz but ran at 550mhz to save on battery life. Plus heat doesnt make ALL the difference, its also speed (work) of the CPU. They say anything above 98.6 degrees F is a fever right? So would you push your body to the point where its at 98.5 degrees and say, "oh, I'm fine because I am below the 98.2?" (again, doesnt make sense)
  16. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Eh, either way, my Droid only has to last a year, then I'll upgrade. :)
  17. kennyg23

kennyg23 New Member

Thats exactly what I tell myself when I mod my phone. If I screw it up bad enough that it won't turn on, a new phone is only a phone call and $50 away.:icon_ devil:
  18. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

No need to be frightened... worse case scenario if you do fry it just swap it out (i.e. via warranty if under a year or insurance from then on... this brings us into some gray area though so we won't discuss it further here, but there are ways:icon_ devil:, and NO I don't condone fraud).

Been some debate on that... the Manufacture of the chip rates it as such and it looks like the same chip is 'scalable' but if you look on TI and other websites you'll see that difference clocked boards apparently use different chips. But like everything no one knows exactly yet and the manufacturer and component makers aren't confirming, or denying, anything...

My plan... by then there will be something MUCH better (and newer:icon_ banana:) that we'll want anyway (and hopefully v3.0 of Android).
  19. mekishiko

mekishiko New Member

If you know it has been beaten to death what the heck compelled you to post this? I am so confused.

but here is the information you seek: Let me google that for you
  20. otis

otis New Member

Quit trying to be clever. I meant that I had assumed that this was threaded before because it's a logical topic of interest that accompanies overclocking.