Yet another 2.1 OTA Root question thread.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GodDamnImDaMan, Apr 8, 2010.

1. GodDamnImDaMan

GodDamnImDaMan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright guys, I know I know...yet another 2.1 Root question thread. But I could use the help.

I'll make it simple...

Instead of using the SDF file to completely flash my phone back to stock, can I just go into recovery mode and wipe data/factory reset/root my phone/then apply the rooted 2.1 update?

Thanks guys. New to the site and love it.

2. gcroberson

gcroberson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nope

Sent from my Droid (AdamZ Enhanced) using Tapatalk

3. GodDamnImDaMan

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...curious as to why. Doesn't the "wipe data/factory reset" take me back to 2.0?

4. brandar711

brandar711 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am woundering the samething...I forced 2.1 and now I want to go back to 2.0 and just do the OTA update....so the factory restate wont wipe clean and make me go back to 2.0??????

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    There is no difference between the forced up date and the OTA update. It's the same thing.

However if you are having issues a factory data reset will probably set things in order for you. Before you do that I would do a battery pull. Good luck.

6. GodDamnImDaMan

Ratings:
    +0
    Hook, Do you know by any chance why a factory reset wouldn't work to take my phone back to 2.0 stock?

I understand a SDF. flash will work, but want to see why a standard memory wipe/factory refresh can't.

7. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason a data wipe wont take u back to 2.0.1 is because a data wipe is supposed to take u to the phones original out of the the box state and now with the ota 2.1 out, 2.1 is the phones out of the box state. And also will there ever be a way to root straight from the 2.1 ota instead of having to use RSDlite to get back to 2.0.1 and root from there

#7 Kmart95, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    It will NOT work. Factory reset for your phone now is 2.1 since you took the update. (whether it be manual or OTA)

Use the SBF method. I did it and was back up and running. (rooted and custom rom also) within 20 minutes. Piece of cake.

9. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Please allow me to explain.

The ROMs you find on this and other forums are provided in an unsigned way. In other words there is NO digital signature verifying they are authentic.

Both SPRecovery and Clockwork Recovery don't care about the digital signature (on purpose) so they enable installing anything.

HOWEVER, the real Verizon Wireless Recovery DOES care and it will fail to verify the signature.

SO you have to install SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery to install those ROMS, but you can't install either because you're not rooted. That's why you have to use the SBF to get back to a version that IS rooted so you CAN install SPR and then you can install whatever ROM you like.

Ehud

Search tags for this page

bionic .sdf flash file