Yes, you CAN get free Yahoo Email on the Droid and don't let them tell you you can't!

hiho322

Reaction score
I just got my new Droid today and had a really crazy experience at the Verizon store. Clueless as to what was about to happen, I walked in, thrilled to have my new phone. I found a really nice rep to help me and told him I wanted to activate my new phone and port my contacts over from my Blackberry Storm. Tony was great, but over the next hour, we realized that there was a problem putting yahoo email on the Droid. He called Verizon Tech Support on the phone, and even after we both spoke to a supervisor there, there seemed to be no solution. With my understanding of technology, I knew there had be a way to make this happen. While the supervisor insisted that this was a Google phone and so Google-powered, he also stated that this was not a Yahoo-powered phone (WTF????) He also said that there was a work-around with pop-mail, but then all my emails would be sent out with a gmail address. I have a business, business stationery, etc., so this was unacceptable to me. He then said that I could have yahoo mail, but it had to be the paid version. I said I was happy to pay for it, if Verizon reimbursed me, since this wasn't my problem, but theirs. I also knew in my heart that a 15-year old hacker kid would be able to figure this out, so why couldn't he?

He wound up putting us in touch with a wonderful woman named Tracy in customer service, who - believe it or not - had a Droid herself and a free yahoo email account she used on it. She said there was indeed a way and then transferred us over to a different tech guy who said, "With the new OS updatd (as of 3/29), yahoo email is included." Eureka!!! So he talked the rep in the store through it and I am now the proud owner of a Motorola Droid with yahoo email on it.

Moral of the story: If you understand technology, don't let them get away with telling you you can't do something. Be tenacious, use the internet (this Forum in particular), talk to a 15 year old hacker kid...but push, because you'll probably get what you need.

Annie

VIRominoff

Reaction score
Please don't take this as me being a jerk but...

Yeah this was part of the official update everyone was flipping out over.

OP
H

hiho322

Reaction score
Okay, enough with the teasing, guys! I'm a Droid newbie, which you would have realized if you'd actually read my posting. I thought I'd heard something about Yahoo and the OS upgrade, but not having owned a Droid at the time, I hadn't paid all that much attention. And this update only happened three weeks ago, remember. I posted this here so that any other newbie or person considering this phone would know that they wouldn't have a problem if yahoo is their main email.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
Maybe this is a noob question too, but HOW do you add Yahoo accounts? I got the OTA update a few weeks ago (Moto Droid 2.0.1 to 2.1) and can't for the life of me find where the Yahoo! mail settings are.

Under Settings/Accounts & Sync/Add Account/ I still only see:
Corporate
Facebook
Google

I would assume they would add it to this list but maybe they added the option somewhere else. A quick search of the Market Place yielded some pay apps but nothing noteworthy. Any idea where this is or how to add a Yahoo account?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I posted this here so that any other newbie or person considering this phone would know that they wouldn't have a problem if yahoo is their main email.
If history is any indication, newbies aren't going to read this thread any more than they're going to read the other threads that also mention this.

Mule65

Reaction score
Free Yahoo mail works fine -- just no way to have it pushed to Droid.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Okay, enough with the teasing, guys! I'm a Droid newbie...

Lesson learned here....Never believe a VZW Tech.
(Well almost never)

Glad you found the right place to come.....Welcome to the Forum.