Yes, I've done a search, about 4 hours worth but still need help or confirmation.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
So does this mean you got some sort of email working? Wondering if there is some underlying issue with your specific device. Also, are the email addresses in your phones contact list or contacts from your email account? I have never synced addresses from my actual email account and believe when you just type in a name/email address it pulls from your phones contacts.

Thanks buldog for that clarification... the email address needs to be saved in the phone contacts. Not sure if it works if the email account is synced because I only sync my Gmail account.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Folks, I'm coming in late here, and haven't read through the full thread yet. I did have to do some "housekeeping" in this thread, first. I think you all know what I meant. Give me a few and let me see if I can sort it out. I also use Yahoo, my wife's email is on Yahoo, and we both use the Yahoo email app on her RAZR and my RAZR MAXX. We've both had no problems with it, but there has to be a simple explanation for what you are experiencing. It seems to me that both K9 and the resident eMail app should also work fine.

I surely understand your frustration and if I were in your shoes I'd feel like you do. Please let me assure you that we'll get this resolved. TisMyDroid is an EXCELLENT support staff, a true representative of what we're all about. There are however times when she knows or can figure out the answer when I don't know it, and perhaps this is a case where I may be able to figure it out. Either way, we will resolve this. that I am confident of. :biggrin:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks FoxKat we can use your help.

Okay, I think I know the deal with the TO email drop down list. I think what ends up getting included in the drop down is a combination of people's email addresses you have saved in your phone and people you have emailed from your phone. I was just in my hotmail and one of the email addresses that was included in the drop down was a person I emailed recently but she is neither saved in my phone nor is she saved in my hotmail contacts.

So maybe the secret is that after you have emailed from your phone, it populates the drop down list possibilities.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Zenica,

Try something for me...and humor me for a moment. If you've done everything you read below, just try it again for me...step by step.

First, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE THE YMAIL APP INSTALLED!! If you do, uninstall it.
  1. Go into the stock email app, hit the menu button and choose <settings>.
  2. Then at the top right, hit the <ADD ACCOUNT> button.
  3. Choose <Other> (rather than Yahoo).
  4. Type in your email address with the full @yahoo.com (i.e. [email protected]).
  5. Type in your password.
  6. Click <Next> (don't be surprised if it succeeds and goes to a screen that asks the frequency that it should check for email).
  7. If this is to be your defailt email account, check the box, otherwise leave blank.
  8. Decide how you want notificatons, sync, and downloads to be handled, as well as whether to sync over WIFI only.
  9. Choose <Done>
  10. On the next screen, double-check the account name, and you can change it to something more friendly rather than your email address.
  11. Choose your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing emails.
  12. Choose <Next>.
  13. Sit back and watch as your email starts coming in.
:biggrin:

Edit, this also now gives me a drop down of known contacts for this account after typing only 2 characters.

Edit: Contacts are from MY phone's contact list...See below. :frown:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Okay, I think I know the deal with the TO email drop down list. I think what ends up getting included in the drop down is a combination of people's email addresses you have saved in your phone and people you have emailed from your phone. I was just in my hotmail and one of the email addresses that was included in the drop down was a person I emailed recently but she is neither saved in my phone nor is she saved in my hotmail contacts.

So maybe the secret is that after you have emailed from your phone, it populates the drop down list possibilities.

Actually, for my experiment, this was my wife's yahoo account and I don't have ANY of her contacts in my phone, but as soon as it started sync'ing, I could see all of her contacts as drop-downs after typing the first two characters. I typed co, and got a list of contacts that started with co, or had co in the name somewhere. I typed ch, and again contacts starting with or containing ch showed up.

CORRECTION: I was WRONG! The contacts I am seeing are ones stored in MY contacts list. Doh!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Okay, so that blows my theory out of the water, lol. Hopefully we will get success soon!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, another solution. Download the YAHOO MAIL app (the one published by YAHOO! INC).

This one is much like a browser (really a mini-browser) for Yahoo mail and uses the phone as a terminal for the online email service rather than a mail client on its own. It asked for my wife's email address and password, then once it was completed, the next screen asks to merge the Yahoo contacts into the phone's database. Choose Enable Sync. Now when you are in the STOCK Email app (NOT the YAHOO! app), the YAHOO! contacts will be available as a drop-down.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay, so that blows my theory out of the water, lol. Hopefully we will get success soon!

Nope, re-read. I've corrected my posts. The contacts were ones on MY phone. But read the post immediately above for a nice workaround!~ :biggrin:

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
So does this mean you got some sort of email working? Wondering if there is some underlying issue with your specific device. Also, are the email addresses in your phones contact list or contacts from your email account? I have never synced addresses from my actual email account and believe when you just type in a name/email address it pulls from your phones contacts.

The email I have working are the AOL and Hotmail accounts. Those work in both the native app as well as K9.
The addresses I am looking to see in a drop down are from the phones contact list....imported from my iPhone.

This may or may not be the secret for back up assistant (bua). Go into the phone's settings, to the setup wizard and uncheck bua plus. Then in settings in the accounts section, go to bua plus and look to see if the sync icon is greyed out.

I made the changes as per your suggestions, I was hopeful but I am still unable to get a Yahoo! account to register.

At this point, which settings should I be employing? and should I continue to go the manual route?

Thanks buldog for that clarification... the email address needs to be saved in the phone contacts. Not sure if it works if the email account is synced because I only sync my Gmail account.

Yes, the email address I ended up typing is one from the contact list.

Folks, I'm coming in late here, and haven't read through the full thread yet. I did have to do some "housekeeping" in this thread, first. I think you all know what I meant. Give me a few and let me see if I can sort it out. I also use Yahoo, my wife's email is on Yahoo, and we both use the Yahoo email app on her RAZR and my RAZR MAXX. We've both had no problems with it, but there has to be a simple explanation for what you are experiencing. It seems to me that both K9 and the resident eMail app should also work fine.

I surely understand your frustration and if I were in your shoes I'd feel like you do. Please let me assure you that we'll get this resolved. TisMyDroid is an EXCELLENT support staff, a true representative of what we're all about. There are however times when she knows or can figure out the answer when I don't know it, and perhaps this is a case where I may be able to figure it out. Either way, we will resolve this. that I am confident of. :biggrin:

Thank you sincerely FoxKat, this forum has professional, courteous and knowledgeable people offering help to a stranger for a product that is not of their making. I truly do appreciate this.

I will explore this possibility. Typing them once is not so bad....every time, now that is another case entirely.

Zenica,

Try something for me...and humor me for a moment. If you've done everything you read below, just try it again for me...step by step.

First, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE THE YMAIL APP INSTALLED!! If you do, uninstall it.
  1. Go into the stock email app, hit the menu button and choose <settings>.
  2. Then at the top right, hit the <ADD ACCOUNT> button.
  3. Choose <Other> (rather than Yahoo).
  4. Type in your email address with the full @yahoo.com (i.e. [email protected]).
  5. Type in your password.
  6. Click <Next> (don't be surprised if it succeeds and goes to a screen that asks the frequency that it should check for email).
  7. If this is to be your defailt email account, check the box, otherwise leave blank.
  8. Decide how you want notificatons, sync, and downloads to be handled, as well as whether to sync over WIFI only.
  9. Choose <Done>
  10. On the next screen, double-check the account name, and you can change it to something more friendly rather than your email address.
  11. Choose your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing emails.
  12. Choose <Next>.
  13. Sit back and watch as your email starts coming in.
:biggrin:

Edit, this also now gives me a drop down of known contacts for this account after typing only 2 characters.

Edit: Contacts are from MY phone's contact list...See below. :frown:

You have a dark sense of humor! I have tried that but for the sake of humoring you, I tried again.
The results are the same, "username or password incorrect".

Actually, for my experiment, this was my wife's yahoo account and I don't have ANY of her contacts in my phone, but as soon as it started sync'ing, I could see all of her contacts as drop-downs after typing the first two characters. I typed co, and got a list of contacts that started with co, or had co in the name somewhere. I typed ch, and again contacts starting with or containing ch showed up.

CORRECTION: I was WRONG! The contacts I am seeing are ones stored in MY contacts list. Doh!

I want to clarify, so as to be sure we are on the same page. Where I am looking for the drop down but not seeing it is if you open the Gallery, then choose an image. The menu at the top allows
for the image to be emailed. Choose that option, it is in here that I can only type the recipients email (or paste it if I had previously copied it).

I wonder if there is a defect with the phone. I tried in my Gmail, stock email that has a hotmail address and aqua mail which has my Yahoo email address. All of them give me a drop down after I type two letters.

I hope it isn't defective....

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
OK, another solution. Download the YAHOO MAIL app (the one published by YAHOO! INC).

This one is much like a browser (really a mini-browser) for Yahoo mail and uses the phone as a terminal for the online email service rather than a mail client on its own. It asked for my wife's email address and password, then once it was completed, the next screen asks to merge the Yahoo contacts into the phone's database. Choose Enable Sync. Now when you are in the STOCK Email app (NOT the YAHOO! app), the YAHOO! contacts will be available as a drop-down.

My main concern isn't the contacts stored with Yahoo! as those are in the phone under it's internal contact list (copied from my iPhone).

My goal would be to have the Yahoo! mail collected in the native email app. I am already not happy that Gmail forces me to use their app
but given I have but one email with them and so rarely use it, that is ok. With Yahoo!, I use it frequently and have several, one of which
is from AT&T when I got the iPhone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you sincerely FoxKat, this forum has professional, courteous and knowledgeable people offering help to a stranger for a product that is not of their making. I truly do appreciate this.

You have a dark sense of humor! I have tried that but for the sake of humoring you, I tried again.
The results are the same, "username or password incorrect".

I want to clarify, so as to be sure we are on the same page. Where I am looking for the drop down but not seeing it is if you open the Gallery, then choose an image. The menu at the top allows
for the image to be emailed. Choose that option, it is in here that I can only type the recipients email (or paste it if I had previously copied it).

I hope it isn't defective....

OK, so I was off-base a bit with the drop-down issue. Strange, but when I went to my gallery, chose a pic, then at the menu (at the bottom on my RAZR MAXX), and chose the "share" icon (two arrows pointing up to the left and right), then chose <Email> (the Stock Email app), at the email prompt, I typed in Ju and the list of contacts starting with or containing Ju suddenly appeared on a drop-down. This was using the STOCK Email app and in the YAHOO! account that I had set up using the exact instructions above. In fact, I wrote those instructions AS I was registering the email account to be 100% sure I didn't miss a step.

I'll post screen shots momentarily.

I am at a loss for why yours doesn't set up automatically and without issue as I allowed the automatic settings and it jumped right in and started downloading emails. Not only do I have access to my wife's YAHOO! account from within the Stock Email app, but I can even see and access all her dozens of sub-folders that she's set up for the many different senders and subjects she keeps. I really don't think that at this point it's you...I'm beginning to think it's the OS or the device itself. Perhaps your version of Android has a slightly different version of Email. It's completely possible that your version of Email is not compatible with YAHOO!'s servers or configuration. I've said this before, but I'll say it again... Oh, how I wish I had that phone (device) in my hands for a moment. If it could do what you want, I would almost surely be able to figure it out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My main concern isn't the contacts stored with Yahoo! as those are in the phone under it's internal contact list (copied from my iPhone).

My goal would be to have the Yahoo! mail collected in the native email app. I am already not happy that Gmail forces me to use their app
but given I have but one email with them and so rarely use it, that is ok. With Yahoo!, I use it frequently and have several, one of which
is from AT&T when I got the iPhone.

Not to rub salt into wounds, but I have three email accounts on the stock app now...my home Verizon.net email, my office 1financial.net (POP3 account), and now the [email protected] account and all three are merging perfectly into one compiled list, but I can also view each as individual accounts if I choose.

See below;

wbyw5w.png

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
I definitely don't get any drop down when I type a few characters of an email address
stored in the phones contact list. It patiently waits for me to type the whole thing!

My Android version updated yesterday to 4.1.1 from 4.0.4, if that helps.

How did you take that screen grab? I've been wanting to post some screen shots.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
With the Droid RAZR MAXX, press and hold Volume Down and Power button for about 2 seconds. I don't know what options you may have for screen shots with yours. For the drop down, see below.

6pwxkz.png

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I definitely don't get any drop down when I type a few characters of an email address
stored in the phones contact list. It patiently waits for me to type the whole thing!

My Android version updated yesterday to 4.1.1 from 4.0.4, if that helps.

How did you take that screen grab? I've been wanting to post some screen shots.

I am thinking your version of Email is simply not the same as ours. This is an Iconia Tablet and Acer may have gone with a different email client. That's all I can figure.