Yes, I've done a search, about 4 hours worth but still need help or confirmation.

Zenica

Reaction score
Hello,

As you can see, I am new here...very new...but I am not new to the Android OS.

I have an Iconia tablet which is great for when I travel, it is like a laptop minus the
bulk and weight.

I have been an Apple iPhone user since the days of the 3G and still have my iPhone 4
and 4S. I'll preface my query by stating that neither of my iPhones are exhibiting the
symptom my new Motorola Droid Razr M is. I am not able to get Yahoo! email on the
phone either using the native email app or with K9. I've tried both the POP and IMAP
settings:

Incoming
Username- everything before @yahoo.com & I've tried with the @yahoo.com part
Password- verified via web login
IMAP server-imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port- 143/110/995
Security- None/SSL/TLS

Incoming
Username- everything before @yahoo.com & I've tried with the @yahoo.com part
Password- verified via web login
POP3 server-pop.att.yahoo.com
Port- 110/995/465/143
Security- None/SSL/TLS

I am not listing the outgoing server details because in neither the native email app
or in K9 am I amble to progress past the incoming server details.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am not strained with the choice of keeping
this phone or returning it to Costco.

David

Corrected typo!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, here is what I have both in my enhanced email app on my tablet and my aqua mail on my Razr M (so should be the same in stock and k9)

Choose Imap instead of pop3 as the type of email.
Incoming:
Server- android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 993
Security type - SSL

Outgoing:
Server - android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465
Security type - SSL

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply...I tried the settings you suggested but alas, I still receive
the following error message: "Couldn't finish username or password incorrect".

Do you add/change the Authentication Method or IMAP path prefix?

Those are the only other fields in the present screen that I can edit.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Those are definitely the settings I have. Did you set up using manual set up or automatic. Try the opposite of what you used setting up.

Also, make sure you delete the Yahoo account from the app and add the Yahoo from scratch.

buldog

Reaction score
Was there a reason you did a manual setup, just tried the automatic and it worked fine. Stupid question, do you have an @ymail.com or @yahoo.com address?

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
Those are definitely the settings I have. Did you set up using manual set up or automatic. Try the opposite of what you used setting up.

Also, make sure you delete the Yahoo account from the app and add the Yahoo from scratch.

I have tried both auto (using the Yahoo! icon within the settings>add account) and manual. Manual is the only way I can edit the settings as auto never get's me to
a point where I can do this. I have never downloaded or tried the Yahoo! app. I have three Yahoo! accounts and 4 non Yahoo! accounts so having them integrated
into a single app for checking is crucial.

Use the Yahoo app? Works great. Sounds to me like you need to step back and see the forest and not every knothole on every tree.

I have not tried the Yahoo! app. The remainder of your comment is not constructive for my issue as it implies I should accept mediocrity. For all of it's Nazi Tunes shortcomings
I was able to set up email on the iPhone in minutes. Not this 6 hours and counting I'm experiencing now.

Was there a reason you did a manual setup, just tried the automatic and it worked fine. Stupid question, do you have an @ymail.com or @yahoo.com address?

Automatic did not work for my Yahoo! based accounts. In fact, it did not work for my Hotmail or AOL based accounts either. My Yahoo! accounts use the @yahoo.com
address.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Zenica, make sure you have backup assistant plus set to not sync. I am wondering if that is interfering. Last year, when I got my Razr Maxx I had the same problem and when I called Verizon for help, it ended up being back up assistant plus (even though I have never used that Verizon service).

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
Zenica, make sure you have backup assistant plus set to not sync. I am wondering if that is interfering. Last year, when I got my Razr Maxx I had the same problem and when I called Verizon for help, it ended up being back up assistant plus (even though I have never used that Verizon service).

I checked the Sync settings and if I was in the correct location, then I can not disable the Sync, only change the time at which it will occur.
Like the Apple iCloud, I won't ever use this feature.

On a side note, when sending a picture in an email, having opened the email client by way of the picture send option, is it normal that only
the FROM field has the indicator in the bottom right allowing me to select which account? The TO field has no such indicator allowing me to
access the contact list forcing me to manually type the email address.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I checked the Sync settings and if I was in the correct location, then I can not disable the Sync, only change the time at which it will occur.
Like the Apple iCloud, I won't ever use this feature.
I agree about never using the feature. It is invasive that it is thrown at us. I am wondering if it needs to be disabled in setup because I don't have the option to sync. I will explore further and see what I discover.

On a side note, when sending a picture in an email, having opened the email client by way of the picture send option, is it normal that only
the FROM field has the indicator in the bottom right allowing me to select which account? The TO field has no such indicator allowing me to

The selecting from which account is only so you can choose which email address you would like to use. In the TO field, if you start to type the recipient's contact name, it should give you a drop down of possible contacts.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Edited...no longer necessary.

buldog

Reaction score

Unfortunately you aren't going to like this answer either. Ran some tests on gmail, hotmail, and ymail - in the synced email setup none of them had the dropdown for contacts, either by accessing from a picture or from the synced account. In each of the apps, only the ymail app actually had a dropdown for contacts. Sorry, such a shame hearing a convert from iOS might wanna go back:(

OP
Z

Zenica

Reaction score
I agree about never using the feature. It is invasive that it is thrown at us. I am wondering if it needs to be disabled in setup because I don't have the option to sync. I will explore further and see what I discover. The selecting from which account is only so you can choose which email address you would like to use. In the TO field, if you start to type the recipient's contact name, it should give you a drop down of possible contacts.

I just tried and even after typing a few characters of a known email address (in my contact list), no drop down presented itself.

Given we just had our first child, this might be a deal breaker as I am accustomed to rapidly sending pictures right from the photo
gallery. This works best as I am usually in there filtering out the images that did not come out well

It was how it was perceived which the op had also addressed. And again, as your above post is also derogatory, I will ask you to be respectful and refrain from the nasty comments. So far you have been a valuable member offering helpful information which is much appreciated. You have also sought help on this forum and solutions were respectfully and patiently provided. All members deserve the same respect.

I also took it as derogatory or maliferous but chose to ignore it as I find that when I am new to a forum, there is always one that feels my query is superfluous.

Unfortunately you aren't going to like this answer either. Ran some tests on gmail, hotmail, and ymail - in the synced email setup none of them had the dropdown for contacts, either by accessing from a picture or from the synced account. In each of the apps, only the ymail app actually had a dropdown for contacts. Sorry, such a shame hearing a convert from iOS might wanna go back:(

This does not bode well for my continued use of this phone...while I do like the over all feel and the futuristic way in which apps are swiped and moved around, like moving off the screen to delete
or having one page of apps fade in/out as you move the top page away but I will need a solution for sending emails quickly and efficiently with picture attachments.

This is provided I can resolve the Yahoo! mail issue.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if there is a defect with the phone. I tried in my Gmail, stock email that has a hotmail address and aqua mail which has my Yahoo email address. All of them give me a drop down after I type two letters.

buldog

Reaction score
I just tried and even after typing a few characters of a known email address (in my contact list), no drop down presented itself.

Given we just had our first child, this might be a deal breaker as I am accustomed to rapidly sending pictures right from the photo
gallery. This works best as I am usually in there filtering out the images that did not come out well

So does this mean you got some sort of email working? Wondering if there is some underlying issue with your specific device. Also, are the email addresses in your phones contact list or contacts from your email account? I have never synced addresses from my actual email account and believe when you just type in a name/email address it pulls from your phones contacts.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This may or may not be the secret for back up assistant (bua). Go into the phone's settings, to the setup wizard and uncheck bua plus. Then in settings in the accounts section, go to bua plus and look to see if the sync icon is greyed out.