Yes, it's another thread about wifi tethering on Verizon unlimited data

Duderino

Reaction score
Sorry for posting a question that is likely answered somewhere. I have read a ton about this today and I am still a bit confused. I have been on unlimited 4g for about 3 years. Had the Thunderbolt right when it came out and rooted it as quickly as I could figure out how. Back then, I was running CM7, which had built in hotspot tethering. I used it on occasion, never enough to put up red flags. Now I am on a Razr Maxx HD, and I want to have tethering again, but there have been a lot of changes with tethering since the new laws, etc. I just need the tethering on rare occasions and I want to make sure I minimize the risk of Verizon charging me or taking away my unlimited plan. I have read that there is an app by Koush, clockworkmod tether, which supposedly blocks the carrier from being able to tell your tethered. However, it requires drivers on the PC. I really only want to tether with an iPad, and there are no drivers for it. So, are there any other tether app or method that I can discreetly tether to my iPad with?

I also read about changing the user agent string in the browser, which I am willing to do. It is not clear, though, if that will raise red flags with the current detection that Verizon uses. I never really worried about this before, I just tethered and figured that if I didn't use a lot, they wouldn't care. But after all the time and money I have spent to keep the unlimited this long, I just want to play it safe. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

dasanman69

Reaction score
Sorry for posting a question that is likely answered somewhere. I have read a ton about this today and I am still a bit confused. I have been on unlimited 4g for about 3 years. Had the Thunderbolt right when it came out and rooted it as quickly as I could figure out how. Back then, I was running CM7, which had built in hotspot tethering. I used it on occasion, never enough to put up red flags. Now I am on a Razr Maxx HD, and I want to have tethering again, but there have been a lot of changes with tethering since the new laws, etc. I just need the tethering on rare occasions and I want to make sure I minimize the risk of Verizon charging me or taking away my unlimited plan. I have read that there is an app by Koush, clockworkmod tether, which supposedly blocks the carrier from being able to tell your tethered. However, it requires drivers on the PC. I really only want to tether with an iPad, and there are no drivers for it. So, are there any other tether app or method that I can discreetly tether to my iPad with?

I also read about changing the user agent string in the browser, which I am willing to do. It is not clear, though, if that will raise red flags with the current detection that Verizon uses. I never really worried about this before, I just tethered and figured that if I didn't use a lot, they wouldn't care. But after all the time and money I have spent to keep the unlimited this long, I just want to play it safe. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

What version of Android are you on?

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Try Foxfi if you can still download it in the play store

Sent From My SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've used the entitlement hack for years without any issues.

OP
D

Duderino

Reaction score
What version of Android are you on?

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to include that. I'm on Android 4.1.2, system ver. 9.30.1. I am rooted if it helps expand my options.

Try Foxfi if you can still download it in the play store

Yup, Foxfi is still available. I just installed it and am posting this on my computer using Foxfi. However, I do not understand if and how Foxfi "hides" my usage from Verizon. Clockworkmod Tether specifically says it hides your usage to make it "nearly undetectable" from the carrier. I don't know how it does that, but I trust Koush as the developer. I know there is always a risk, I just want to minimize that risk. So, does Foxfi risk my usage being seen to Verizon more than another tether app?

I've used the entitlement hack for years without any issues.

Funny you mention that. The last time I changed phones and had to start over, I lost my CM ROM with tethering built in and found the entitlement hack was pretty much the only decent option at the time. I opted to just run stock for awhile and never tried it. So, are you on Verizon unlimited data and using it successfully? Never had any problems with Verizon? Would you use Foxfi if the entitlement hack stopped working for you?

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Make sure you download there add on so you can then hide your usage by going through a proxy. That's what the developers of foxfi says.

OP
D

Duderino

Reaction score
I installed the Foxfi add-on like you suggested, and tried setting up the proxy on my mac. Got mixed results, I might not be putting the proxy info in correctly. My iPad is at work, I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the recommendations here, folks.

OP
D

Duderino

Reaction score
Report:
On the iPad, the proxy server settings are very clear and easy. I tested a little bit and Foxfi seems to be working just fine. So, I am good to go with that. Thanks for the help. One of these days I will figure out how to do it on the Mac.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Good glad it's working for ya