yep, broke down and bought it

alquix

Reaction score
Well, I qualified for an early upgrade, and I called to try to get the 1 year renewal, but the rep told me that it wasn't possible since as a Droid owner I hadn't been on my contract long enough. With all the smoke and mirrors regarding the Droid Bionic, I figured a new 2 year contract on tbolt wouldn't be the end of the world for me. They waived the early upgrade fee and threw in a car mount, and I wound up getting it for 241 out the door.
now I'm just waiting until monday for the fedex truck... haha

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Wait, so if we ask for a slightly early upgrade, we can't sign a 1 year contract for a TB? That's what I wanted to do.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To get the one year contract you have to be at the end of your current contract. If you are on month 10 of a one year or month 20 of a two year then you can sign another 1 year.. If you are just using the annual upgrade on a 2 year plan then you have to sign a two year, and welome to the party if you do.. I fought and fought for the one year on launch day.. needless to say I LOVE MY THUNDERBOLT and have 4G locked for at least 2 years..

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
To get the one year contract you have to be at the end of your current contract. If you are on month 10 of a one year or month 20 of a two year then you can sign another 1 year.. If you are just using the annual upgrade on a 2 year plan then you have to sign a two year, and welome to the party if you do.. I fought and fought for the one year on launch day.. needless to say I LOVE MY THUNDERBOLT and have 4G locked for at least 2 years..

You are correct on the 20 month two year but incorrect on the 10 month 1 year. I too thought exactly what you thought about both one and two year contracts. However, after upgrading on March 17 of this year to a new one year contract, I'm eligible to upgrade on November 17 of this year, which is 8 months into the 1 year contract. I discovered this when I was checking all my upgrade eligibility dates online. So VZW either changed their upgrade terms or we were just misinformed because either contract term allows for a early upgrade 4 months prior to the end of the contract.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Well, I qualified for an early upgrade, and I called to try to get the 1 year renewal, but the rep told me that it wasn't possible since as a Droid owner I hadn't been on my contract long enough. With all the smoke and mirrors regarding the Droid Bionic, I figured a new 2 year contract on tbolt wouldn't be the end of the world for me. They waived the early upgrade fee and threw in a car mount, and I wound up getting it for 241 out the door.

That's odd that they wouldn't let you upgrade to a one year contract. You should be eligible for a one year if you are eligible for a two year contract. They must have let you upgrade early as a promotion because they are trying to get the 4G LTE phones out on the market. Heard of someone in San Diego, CA getting the phone a a ridiculous price because the rep said they were trying to promote the phones since LTE was available in that city.

Looks like you have a corporate discount also if you walked out the door for $241.

OP
A

alquix

Reaction score

That's odd that they wouldn't let you upgrade to a one year contract. You should be eligible for a one year if you are eligible for a two year contract. They must have let you upgrade early as a promotion because they are trying to get the 4G LTE phones out on the market. Heard of someone in San Diego, CA getting the phone a a ridiculous price because the rep said they were trying to promote the phones since LTE was available in that city.

Looks like you have a corporate discount also if you walked out the door for $241.
yup, I'm a volunteer for the county so I have a government email address registered with them :)

shortsxit

Reaction score

Being eligible for a 2-year contract doesn't mean he's eligible for a 1-year contract. As said above, if he's using his annual upgrade (say at the 12 month mark), that would mean he still has 12 months left on his contract. Why would they let him sign a new 1-year contract if it wouldn't extend the amount of time they have him locked in?

dafischman

Reaction score
I just went through the 1 yr contract issue. I was at month 16 of my 2 year, but was able to convince them to give me a 1 year. It was a huge pain to get it all worked out but totally worth it since I will be able to upgrade in 10 months if Ichoose.

Josh

sent via Thunderbolt by the hand of Zeus.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Shortsxit, your absolutely correct in your thinking on that point. You might already be aware of what I'm going to explain next, but if not then you'll understand my comment earlier better. Verizon use to offer a program called Early upgrade program to primary lines on Verizon accounts, they just didn't promote it. It allowed primary lines to upgrade after 12 months of a two year contract to a new contract. To my knowledge it wasn't required for the new contract to be a two year agreement, though that would seem to have made the most sense as you stated in your post. People who upgraded on Jan 16 of this year or later taking advantage this phased out program won't have the option of doing it anymore and those who upgraded prior to Jan 16 can take advantage of it one last time. So I took advantage of that upgrading the primarly line on my family share plan since I was over the 12 month mark. I initially upgraded my two year contract to another two year before I hit the 20 month mark on my current two year contract, then decided a couple days into the new two year term that I wanted a one year so I had to call up Verizon and get it done over the phone since they claimed it couldn't be done in the store without returning the phone and paying a $35 restocking fee.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I just went through the 1 yr contract issue. I was at month 16 of my 2 year, but was able to convince them to give me a 1 year. It was a huge pain to get it all worked out but totally worth it since I will be able to upgrade in 10 months if Ichoose.

Josh

sent via Thunderbolt by the hand of Zeus.

Hey Josh, if you log into your online Verizon account and check your eligibility date to upgrade, it should reflect 8 months instead of 10 months on a 1 year contract as mine does. So that's a good thing for us because I too always thought 1 year contracts could only be upgraded at the 10 month mark, but I was mistaken.

wolf moderate

Reaction score
I just logged on to myverizon and it says I'm eligible for upgrade on 2/9/2012, I bought my phone 4/9/2011. That's 10 months. I paid $70 extra for 1 year contract. Hopefully I can get it changed to 12/9/2011, if you guys are eligilble for upgrade after 8 months...That would be sweet! :icon_ banana:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I just logged on to myverizon and it says I'm eligible for upgrade on 2/9/2012, I bought my phone 4/9/2011. That's 10 months. I paid $70 extra for 1 year contract. Hopefully I can get it changed to 12/9/2011, if you guys are eligilble for upgrade after 8 months...That would be sweet! :icon_ banana:
Yeah, I got mine on 3/17 and I can upgrade on 11/17. I wonder why it would be different. I do also have a corporate discount, but that should only affect the cost of the phone

wolf moderate

Reaction score
I have a government employee discount. Maybe the Corp discount has different benenfits, or at least it appears so. Not that big of a deal. In December I'll just try my best to upgrade, but 2 more months won't kill me.

On a side note, I got my extended battery from Verizon today. It looks and feels good. Hopefully I can get 14-16 hours out of it!

hotelmrrsn

Reaction score
I'm an employe, got my original droid in nov 09, upgrade eligible july this year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wolf moderate

Reaction score
Yours is a 2 year contract though right? So 4 months early is standard if I understand correctly. I signed a 1 yr contract so 10 months is the standard. Another poster said that he signed a 1 yr contract and is eligible for upgrade after 8 months, which isn't the standard so far as I know. Must be the difference in discounts (Corp vs Govt) or just a mess up...