Yelp! on Android

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
great find Stigy....living in L.A this is a great app. Definitely getting it. Thanks

craigcap

Reaction score
Sweet!
Anyone have thoughts/recommendations/feedback on rating the following apps:
1) yelp
2) Where
3) My Places Directory

- I think on the surface that my places is least robust - it's ok but not alot of second/third level info it seems. For example, it will find a movie theatre but not tell or lead you to movies that are playing - just the address, option to call or get direction...?

thx!

zegolf

Reaction score
Sweet!
Anyone have thoughts/recommendations/feedback on rating the following apps:
1) yelp
2) Where
3) My Places Directory

- I think on the surface that my places is least robust - it's ok but not alot of second/third level info it seems. For example, it will find a movie theatre but not tell or lead you to movies that are playing - just the address, option to call or get direction...?

thx!

If you live in a rural area (I'm outside of Baltimore), Yelp won't have a lot of reviews. Because of this, Yelp and Where are pretty much equals. I've never tried My Places Directory, so I'll have to give that a go!

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I found that Googles Places Directory had bad address locations. It would give an address as "S." Maize Rd but the Restaurant was on "N." Maize Rd. And it did this on several places, giving wrong driving directions.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I looked at Yelp and am bummed that I can't log in and add my own reviews from my Droid...but if it becomes an option in the future, I'll definitely add it!

I like Where in that they also have updated prices on gas and it's really comprehensive. I like places directory as it's easy to navigate. For now, I'll be sticking to these 2.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Aside from personal reviews how do Yelp and Where compare when finding restaurants/businesses? Is one more competent and effective than the other or are they about equal in the actual locating of these places?

tommyz

Reaction score
I have been waiting for this yelp app. I also look forward to updates that allow you to post pictures, reviews, etc.

Yea! I have been a user of Yelp since the beginning and have found it very useful.

It does rely on personal reviews, so yes in rural areas the reviews are very sparse, but for the most part if there are multiple reviews you get a good idea of what people think of a business.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Can anyone give a comparison of Yelp and Where? I could really care less about the personal reviews and yes I posted this above the previous response.

Just trying to see if its worth downloading. In other words are either of these apps better at finding restaurants/businesses than the other? Sometimes I like finding undercover hidden gems that I normally wouldn't notice.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked at Yelp and am bummed that I can't log in and add my own reviews from my Droid...
I like Yelp's site a lot but their apps leave much to be desired. I'd like to be able to sort and filter results just like their site at least.

Sometimes I like finding undercover hidden gems that I normally wouldn't notice.
How do you determine if they're gems or lumps of coal without reviews? Yelp's reviews haven't let me down at all when traveling (in places where Guy Fieri hasn't already uncovered gems).

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
Through experience.

Reviews are nothing more than opinion and sometimes bias. Of course if there are rats in the stew, served with moldy bread..then yes I can understand why a review would be helpful.

But I am talking about locations, addresses of businesses/restaurants...do Where and Yelp basically reveal the same results when trying to look for locations?

In other words are they basically using the same coding and programming in the application so the results revealed would be similar or is one more affective?