YEAH baby! My Demo will be here today!

juarbed

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the Iphone 4 through At&t. I tested both phones and surfed the web at the same time using the same web pages. The thunderbolt was not that much faster than the Iphone which is on 3G. There were even times that it beat the Thunderbolt. Why is that?

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Johnboy, I hope you keep checking back here. Now that I have this phone, I'm going to have questions. Did you try all the apps on your phone? Does FM radio actually do anything? It's telling me I need a headset to be the antenna. I don't have any at the moment so was just wondering. So far it does absolutely nothing. Were there any apps that you thought were especially useless or would recommend? I know there have been many discussions about app killers, but with the battery life issues (?) with the 4G would an app killer be worth anything? Today is day 2 and it's only been fully charged once; from 7 this morning (and I have been playing with the phone way too much) to now (10:46 am) the battery looks to be half full. I won't go with the over-sized extended battery but am thinking about the slim version from Seidio.

Looking forward to you posting after you get your phone to say which apps are new to you.

You have to plug in headphones or an AUX audio cable to use FM radio as that acts as the antenna. My FM radio works perfectly fine with the AUX cable.

I don't use App Killers because I honestly believe that the Android OS does a fine job of managing/killing the apps all by itself. I recommend you use the dimmest setting (there is a screen brightness widget with the TBolt) and connect to WiFi whenever you can to save on your battery. This battery is no different than my Droid X standard battery primarily because of the same sized screens. One thing that may help is when someone Roots the phone and you can remove any bloatware.

My "perminant" TBolt actually looks almost identical to the Pre-Production model I had in regards to software and operating, but I just got it about an hour ago, so I don't feel that I can fully comment on the differences.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
I doubt there will be a battery update. Its just like any other smart phone you have to adjust your usage to improve battery life.

Actually, System (Android OS) updates do improve battery life. Often times, applications running in the background are updated that improve the battery life a little bit. With my Droid X, going from 2.1 to 2.2 and then 2.2.1 all showed slight battery improvements.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the Iphone 4 through At&t. I tested both phones and surfed the web at the same time using the same web pages. The thunderbolt was not that much faster than the Iphone which is on 3G. There were even times that it beat the Thunderbolt. Why is that?

Not sure, but it sounds like the TBolt you used had issues, especially if it is on 4G in your side-by-side comparison.

I had recently tried the iPhone 4 through both AT&T and Verizon and my pre-production TBolt was equal or better than the iPhones in performance, and they were all on 3G networks.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Going back to the whole debate on "MyBackup Pro" application restore, I think I found out why all my apps came across!

When I activated my Tbolt and was going through setup, shortly after adding my Gmail account, there was a screen that asked something about what to Sync, and it listed the Applications. I chose to Sync everything, and after hitting that, I went into the Market and there were all my apps, paid and free downloading and installing!

Another cool thing, it looks like somehow the HTC Skins backup to a server (Gmail account maybe?) When I chose the "Black Board" Skin, which is what I used on my Pre-Production TBolt, it not only changed to the skin, but it also changed my background image to the custom one I had set it to!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going back to the whole debate on "MyBackup Pro" application restore, I think I found out why all my apps came across!

When I activated my Tbolt and was going through setup, shortly after adding my Gmail account, there was a screen that asked something about what to Sync, and it listed the Applications. I chose to Sync everything, and after hitting that, I went into the Market and there were all my apps, paid and free downloading and installing!

I'm kind of wondering why that seems to surprise you? Thats the way it works even when you do a factory data reset on any other Android phone.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score

I'm kind of wondering why that seems to surprise you? Thats the way it works even when you do a factory data reset on any other Android phone.

I guess it has been a while since I did a factory wipe on my Droid X (I think the last time was when 2.2 was officially released on it, and I had the leaked 2.2 installed.) When I last did that on my Droid X, though the Apps I had purchased re-appeared in the market, but NONE of the free applications appeared in the Market. I did a MyBackup Pro restore and all the free apps came over to the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I guess it has been a while since I did a factory wipe on my Droid X (I think the last time was when 2.2 was officially released on it, and I had the leaked 2.2 installed.) When I last did that on my Droid X, though the Apps I had purchased re-appeared in the market, but NONE of the free applications appeared in the Market. I did a MyBackup Pro restore and all the free apps came over to the phone.

Yes, they did change something. But still some people say they aren't getting their free apps but the last time I did it I got all of mine. So something different.

Maybe that has to do with the new Market.

EdForsythe

Reaction score
So that's what it's like with the angled charger and it sitting on its kickstand..? That's not TOO horrible I guess. I wonder if they make a flatter angled USB charger..

Doubtful... I also have a mini-USB right-angled cable and it is the same dimensions. I am sure you can scour the internet though and find out.

If they release a Home Dock, I will just purchase that. If not, Portrait mode alarm clock seems to be the way to go.
Hi JB,
Yesterday my VZ store had a TB home dock on display. Looked good and it would charge another battery placed on a ledge behind the dock simultaneously. $59.99. 25% off if you bought at least 3 accessories. I asked if it would charge a phone with the extended battery (2300+mah), no one knew. I was concerned that the increased thickness of the phone with the large extended battery would not allow the port on the dock to align with the micro USB on the phone. As I said, No one knew.

EdForsythe

Reaction score
I called HTC yesterday and they told me that it takes about 5gb to run this phone. That kinda sucks. I have been playing with it and I love it so far. The battery lifes sucks. I hope they have an update soon to improve battery life. This 4G kicks ass. I dont like the ringtone notifications they have. The volume on them are too low. I had the hotspot with the X so I cant wait to see what this baby does since its free until May 15.
Could you provide more detailed comments than "sucks.":)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
By default the syncing is INSANE. Turn off Stocks, News, Weather, and anything else you don't need. (I only had Google on my OG Droid anyway) - soo far it's staying at 100% forever for me but I'm not using it as much as I was yesterday.

shortsxit

Reaction score
So that's what it's like with the angled charger and it sitting on its kickstand..? That's not TOO horrible I guess. I wonder if they make a flatter angled USB charger..

Doubtful... I also have a mini-USB right-angled cable and it is the same dimensions. I am sure you can scour the internet though and find out.

If they release a Home Dock, I will just purchase that. If not, Portrait mode alarm clock seems to be the way to go.
Hi JB,
Yesterday my VZ store had a TB home dock on display. Looked good and it would charge another battery placed on a ledge behind the dock simultaneously. $59.99. 25% off if you bought at least 3 accessories. I asked if it would charge a phone with the extended battery (2300+mah), no one knew. I was concerned that the increased thickness of the phone with the large extended battery would not allow the port on the dock to align with the micro USB on the phone. As I said, No one knew.

Yes, it will. I saw a post (Engadget I think) that showed the dock and mentioned that it will fir a phone with an extended abttery as well as the spare battery will fit either size.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score

Hi JB,

Yes, it will. I saw a post (Engadget I think) that showed the dock and mentioned that it will fir a phone with an extended abttery as well as the spare battery will fit either size.

The SKU is HTC6400DTC for the dock. It probably won't be out for a couple of months, but when it does come out, I am getting it!