YEAH baby! My Demo will be here today!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know with MyBackUpPro you have to have root access to restore Market Links... so using MBUP to transfer apps from one phone to another will save you download time certainly, but if you aren't rooted it won't establish the Market link for each of the free apps. IIRC

Hmmm... I am going to play with mine and see what happens if I install a free app that is already restored. Sorta defeats the purpose, but perhaps you can re-establish the Market links that way.

Def post back with your findings. I'm curious to see if it'll restore the Market links on your new device.

Definitely would defeat the purpose if it didn't restore the links! I'm hoping I'm wrong and it works! I'll be upgrading soon as well and I'm going to be using MBUP to transfer over as well.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Its alright my apps dont transfer, I had a lot of silly apps that I dont really need, so it will be good to cherry pick and decide what I actually use.

I just use Gmail through the Gmail app

When you restore the Apps on the new phone, you can choose to install or not install each application.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Def post back with your findings. I'm curious to see if it'll restore the Market links on your new device.

I checked my old phone and found a few free apps that were in "My apps." Went over to the HTC TB and they were restored but not listed in the Market. Did a search, clicked "Install," and went back into the Market and wha-lah, there were the apps listed, Market link fully restored! It's going to be a bit of a pain doing that for all the apps, but it isn't anything too horrible. (Plus, considering the APK file(s) are already on the phone, I think it installs much faster.)

guitar923

Reaction score
WorldofJohnboy, I would like to know if Skype is working, and if it's video feature works. Also, does the wifi tether to your laptop work? Thanks, bro. I'm excited too.

B

bthomp21

Really, all i want to know is if the phone is worth it or if i should wait.

shortsxit

Reaction score
Any update?

OK, sorry for the long delay, but tonight was my brother-in-law's birthday, so my wife "banned" me from playing with the phone.

Also, my VZW Account Mgr. never had the form and basically said "Hey, I won't say anything if you post stuff... besides, there are tons of people that have posted pics and videos of it, so if you want to talk about it, go ahead!"

Now that I have played with it. HOLY SH___ this thing is flippin' awesome!

I charged the battery up in the car and got it back to 100% by the time we sat down for dinner. I transferred and installed all my apps and accounts (I use Touchdown for my work email, plus I have a personal POP and personal Exchange email address that I use the stock Mail apps for). For most of the 5 hours it was in my pocket during dinner, desert, etc. By the time I got home and took it out to play with it, the battery was still at about 90%.

My first recommendation would be to turn the "auto brightness" off and turn the screen down to about 20 or 30% brightness... that is what I did on my Droid X and that lasts an entire work day for me and then some. If this thing had a battery issue, they must have fixed it because this acts like a typical Android phone battery.

As far as the speed of the phone, everything seems to fly on it... screen changes, web browsing (even on 3G only), even the apps loading seem to take a lot less time than my Droid X.

The other thing I had to do was uninstall ADW Launcher. I love ADW on my Droid X, but on the HTC, not so much... I think that HTC Sense is a fantastic experience, has the best widgets, etc.

Size/weight: It's a bit shorter than my Droid X, just about the same left-to-right, and it is as thick as the "bump" on the Droid X where the camera is located. It's definitely heavier than my DX.

I haven't really played much more with it and am about to go to bed. I plan on spending more time with it tomorrow looking at different things... anything you want me to check for you, please reply and I will try to get to it.

Two things I also noticed when I hooked the USB cable into my laptop: 1) There are a bunch of options: Charge Only, HTC Sync, Disk Drive, Internet Connection Mode, Media Sync, and Internet pass-through. 2) When I first connected the phone, it asked me if I wanted to install a piece of software on my laptop. When I clicked "Yes, my PC asked if I wanted to allow "TL Bootstrap" to install. Hmmmm

For #1, the Internet Connection Mode appears to act as a tethered modem, using the phone as the modem. For Internet pass-through, it says "connect phone to internet via PC," which I would assume you could use in a place where there is no WiFi or Verizon signal but you have a wired internet connection on your PC.

I will try to find out what the TL Bootstrap is all about tomorrow.

So far, this phone is living up to my expectations and then some...

Oh wow. Didn't expect it to be that big...was expecting it to be around the same size thickness as the EVO. That thing is a beast...better start looking for leather belt cases.

Russ2387

Reaction score
im Sooooo jealous. pics?... i too would like to know about skype. thank you in advance.

derekmiller12

Reaction score
Any update?

OK, sorry for the long delay, but tonight was my brother-in-law's birthday, so my wife "banned" me from playing with the phone.

Also, my VZW Account Mgr. never had the form and basically said "Hey, I won't say anything if you post stuff... besides, there are tons of people that have posted pics and videos of it, so if you want to talk about it, go ahead!"

Now that I have played with it. HOLY SH___ this thing is flippin' awesome!

I charged the battery up in the car and got it back to 100% by the time we sat down for dinner. I transferred and installed all my apps and accounts (I use Touchdown for my work email, plus I have a personal POP and personal Exchange email address that I use the stock Mail apps for). For most of the 5 hours it was in my pocket during dinner, desert, etc. By the time I got home and took it out to play with it, the battery was still at about 90%.

My first recommendation would be to turn the "auto brightness" off and turn the screen down to about 20 or 30% brightness... that is what I did on my Droid X and that lasts an entire work day for me and then some. If this thing had a battery issue, they must have fixed it because this acts like a typical Android phone battery.

As far as the speed of the phone, everything seems to fly on it... screen changes, web browsing (even on 3G only), even the apps loading seem to take a lot less time than my Droid X.

The other thing I had to do was uninstall ADW Launcher. I love ADW on my Droid X, but on the HTC, not so much... I think that HTC Sense is a fantastic experience, has the best widgets, etc.

Size/weight: It's a bit shorter than my Droid X, just about the same left-to-right, and it is as thick as the "bump" on the Droid X where the camera is located. It's definitely heavier than my DX.

I haven't really played much more with it and am about to go to bed. I plan on spending more time with it tomorrow looking at different things... anything you want me to check for you, please reply and I will try to get to it.

Two things I also noticed when I hooked the USB cable into my laptop: 1) There are a bunch of options: Charge Only, HTC Sync, Disk Drive, Internet Connection Mode, Media Sync, and Internet pass-through. 2) When I first connected the phone, it asked me if I wanted to install a piece of software on my laptop. When I clicked "Yes, my PC asked if I wanted to allow "TL Bootstrap" to install. Hmmmm

For #1, the Internet Connection Mode appears to act as a tethered modem, using the phone as the modem. For Internet pass-through, it says "connect phone to internet via PC," which I would assume you could use in a place where there is no WiFi or Verizon signal but you have a wired internet connection on your PC.

I will try to find out what the TL Bootstrap is all about tomorrow.

So far, this phone is living up to my expectations and then some...

Oh wow. Didn't expect it to be that big...was expecting it to be around the same size thickness as the EVO. That thing is a beast...better start looking for leather belt cases.

Thats why I am holding off on a case because of the beefiness of the phone

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
WorldofJohnboy, I would like to know if Skype is working, and if it's video feature works. Also, does the wifi tether to your laptop work? Thanks, bro. I'm excited too.

Skype is working, but I can't seem to get a video chat option on a call. I am going to have my wife "video call" me to my phone to see if that works.

I'm not sure what the "wifi tether" means... are you talking about the WiFi Hotspot or the USB Tethering to a laptop using the "sync/charge" cable? I turned on the Mobile Hotspot feature on and it powered right up (though I didn't connect to it, everything appears to be in order). The USB tethering also appears to work as I hooked it into my laptop and it recognized the phone as a new network connection right away. I disabled my WiFi connection on my laptop and was still able to browse the internet. It was a surprise, as I didn't think that VZW was doing tethered connections any more.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Really, all i want to know is if the phone is worth it or if i should wait.

That is such a subjective question, I really can't tell you if it is worth it or not.

My personal feeling is that the VZW ad campaign that this is the "Phone after your dream phone" rings true for me. I fell in love with my Droid X and stayed up late to order it (I had been a Blackberry user for 6 years until that point).

The Tbolt is better than a Droid X for these reasons:

• Sense - So smooth, great stock widgets, screens, etc. I had to uninstall ADW Launcher because I love the "stock" Sense.
  • Faster - Not sure if it's the RAM, processor, or what, but this phone flies through everything. Benchmark comparisons prove that.
  • 4G - Though I don't live in a LTE area, the fact that this can do LTE when it does come here means that I don't have to get a new phone.
  • Tethered USB Modem - Wasn't expecting this, and don't know if you need a special feature added to your bill, but I missed this feature when I went from my Blackberry to my Droid X. Looks like it is back!

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
im Sooooo jealous. pics?... i too would like to know about skype. thank you in advance.

Answered the Skype question, still have to do more testing.

As far as pics of the phone, there are plenty out there, not to mention videos... there is nothing different about the one I have compared to those out there. If you had something specific you wanted to see, I suppose I could try capturing it.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score

My original assessment of it being the same thickness as the camera bump on my Droid X is spot on... obviously it tapers down a bit on the edges, but overall thickness is there. Unless you need a belt clip, I would say either no case, or a slim silicone cover. Just my $.02

razng2grtboys

Reaction score
thickness

My original assessment of it being the same thickness as the camera bump on my Droid X is spot on... obviously it tapers down a bit on the edges, but overall thickness is there. Unless you need a belt clip, I would say either no case, or a slim silicone cover. Just my $.02

I held a 'Dummy phone' at BB the other day. It didn't seem nearly as think as compared to the Droid X. Was that not the actual thickness? I was quite impressed by how slim it was.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the About Phone screen? Or give the os version?

Android version: 2.2.1

Baseband version: 1.15.00.0211w_3

Kernel version: 2.6.32.21-g50c65f5
htc-kernel#and18-2 #1
Sat Feb 12 01:49:24 cst 2011

Build number: 1.11.605.7 CL335973 release-keys

Software Number: 1.11.605.7