[YAY!] VoiceSearch for the Milestone

big_adventure

Reaction score
if ya root, i guess there is a market enabler....i read that once

I`ll have to look into that at some point - Thanks! :greendroid:

D

First, if you just patiently wait a little bit, Motorola and your vendor should get your phone's whitelisted in the market, letting you access protected apps. I've heard that this can take some time, but that you can call Motorola and hassle them to speed the process up.

As of now, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to root a Canadian Milestone and keep Android 2.0.1 as well as 3G. The CA 'stone ships with a /recovery that includes the patch for the bug we use to get root (and to do nandroid backups).

You have two options if you want to get root, and therefore, Market Enabler :

1. Install a South American image onto your phone - you will have to first flash an SBF file, then restore a nandroid backup of an SA image. This isn't as complicated as it might sound.

Advantages: You should keep 3G

Disadvantages: You will lose 2.0.1, and be stuck with 2.0, until Motorola bothers to update SA Milestones, and, from the sound of things, that may or may not ever happen. You definitely would not be able to apply European or even Canadian updates over the SA software.

2. Install a European or Hong Kong image onto your phone - same procedure, basically - unless you stay with the HK image, in which case you flash and then root - easy!

Advantages: This will get you root, and you should stay in step with the latest updates, since Euro/HK seem to be the first Milestones to get new software (in France, we got the best update, and got it first, though it did patch recovery).

Disadvantages: You will definitely, absolutely, positively LOSE 3G. You'll keep EDGE and 2G, but 3G will go the way of the dodo. As of now, none of us have found a workaround.

Now, before you run off and change your version, let me give you one final warning - as far as I know for certain (there is a thread at Alldroid, you should check it out), nobody has done either of these with a Canadian 'stone. It is possible that either of these processes will leave you with a brick, and worse, since there is not yet an SBF image available / leaked for the Canadian TELUS image AND nandroid is not yet a possibility, if that happens, you are screwed (well, kind of, you just have to erase the firmware completely and bring it back to TELUS, saying "it just stopped working" - they are pretty much guaranteed to replace it if you can sell the story well).

Me, I would do it. I would play. But I'm not digging for change in my couch cushions, either, and I would buy something else tonight if this phone died today. If the thought of losing either your phone for a week (for repairs) or a few hundred loonies (check out my Canadian! ;) ) leaves you cold, then you should get on that phone, talking to Motorola and Telus, and get them to open up the market for you.

cdndave

Reaction score
@big_adventure: thanks for the detailed advice :) I think I`ll wait for awhile. Google is suppose to release an update next week on the action plan for Canadian market.

I`m not sure for 200 crazy people will help... ;)

Dave

stalwar

Reaction score
The 2.1gallery is working on the 2.0 milestone,

I know - my list of "must have" apps includes that, and I only know that it's a "must have" because I've been running it since it was first made available a few days ago.

I added one other nice feature that was missing before - the Facebook app on the milestone did not have the contact sync function that the Droid has. You can now find a Facebook.apk from another build that does this nicely:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

I'm using it and it works well - this never worked with the Milestone before.

One thing weird - I had to uninstall my old Facebook app AND change the locale of my phone from France to US to get the app to install - it refused to install until I did both.

Seems to be the limit for this facebook app has been exceeded and it won't download, any other suggestions?

Magnate82

Reaction score
Is there any app help we command our milestone throw voice (Like many phone does). Like call some one, Bluetooth on...

realpaid

Reaction score
This is amazing, thank you... can anyone post other free apps that are blocked in Canada, like Google Earth?

By the way, easiest way I find to install .apk files is using tAttachApkInstaller... you just have to email them to yourself and open the link with the app to install it.

Last edited:

ian5577

Reaction score
it shows many similar names. does it talk back to you?

dgenge

Reaction score
Installing voicesearch.apk help

I have the file downloaded and got a parse error when it tried to install. Also tried to use astro and it says in app manager that it cannot ope file as an APK file. I have the Canadian version Milestone. Please help! I am a newbie on android..
Thanks in advance...

pcphobic

Reaction score
Thanks! It works! I'm from Malaysia.

I downloaded the apk file to my PC. Then transfer via USB cable to the SD card on my Motorola Milestone.
Then disconnect the USB cable from the phone and then use an app called Apps Installer to install downloaded apps that are on your SD card.

See my video below
[youtube]OLU1AeE3Vns[/youtube]
[video=youtube;OLU1AeE3Vns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLU1AeE3Vns"]YouTube - Google Translate on Motorola Milestone[/video]