[YAY!] VoiceSearch for the Milestone

Discussion in 'Motorola Milestone' started by RinTinTigger, Jan 6, 2010.

1. gallumbits

gallumbits New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Tigger for the apk. I had it at first, but after I updated to the HK 2.0.1 firmware the voice search was disabled.

Now i have it again thanks to Tigger :)

2. Merire

Merire New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tigger,
    You are great. Thanks.

3. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2
    OMG seriously, im not great, i got no freacking cloue...i just read through all the forums stuff :D :icon_ devil:

4. RinTinTigger

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just dont download it to your device.
    Download it to your PC, transfer it via USB or wifi to your SDCARD and installit from their using astro! :icon_ banana:

5. cdndave

cdndave New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This just solved one of my last annoyances with the Canadian version of the Milestone, now if we could just buy apps from the market...

D

6. RinTinTigger

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2
    if ya root, i guess there is a market enabler....i read that once

7. cdndave

cdndave New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I`ll have to look into that at some point - Thanks! :greendroid:

D

8. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First, if you just patiently wait a little bit, Motorola and your vendor should get your phone's whitelisted in the market, letting you access protected apps. I've heard that this can take some time, but that you can call Motorola and hassle them to speed the process up.

As of now, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to root a Canadian Milestone and keep Android 2.0.1 as well as 3G. The CA 'stone ships with a /recovery that includes the patch for the bug we use to get root (and to do nandroid backups).

You have two options if you want to get root, and therefore, Market Enabler :

1. Install a South American image onto your phone - you will have to first flash an SBF file, then restore a nandroid backup of an SA image. This isn't as complicated as it might sound.

Advantages: You should keep 3G

Disadvantages: You will lose 2.0.1, and be stuck with 2.0, until Motorola bothers to update SA Milestones, and, from the sound of things, that may or may not ever happen. You definitely would not be able to apply European or even Canadian updates over the SA software.

2. Install a European or Hong Kong image onto your phone - same procedure, basically - unless you stay with the HK image, in which case you flash and then root - easy!

Advantages: This will get you root, and you should stay in step with the latest updates, since Euro/HK seem to be the first Milestones to get new software (in France, we got the best update, and got it first, though it did patch recovery).

Disadvantages: You will definitely, absolutely, positively LOSE 3G. You'll keep EDGE and 2G, but 3G will go the way of the dodo. As of now, none of us have found a workaround.

Now, before you run off and change your version, let me give you one final warning - as far as I know for certain (there is a thread at Alldroid, you should check it out), nobody has done either of these with a Canadian 'stone. It is possible that either of these processes will leave you with a brick, and worse, since there is not yet an SBF image available / leaked for the Canadian TELUS image AND nandroid is not yet a possibility, if that happens, you are screwed (well, kind of, you just have to erase the firmware completely and bring it back to TELUS, saying "it just stopped working" - they are pretty much guaranteed to replace it if you can sell the story well).

Me, I would do it. I would play. But I'm not digging for change in my couch cushions, either, and I would buy something else tonight if this phone died today. If the thought of losing either your phone for a week (for repairs) or a few hundred loonies (check out my Canadian! ;) ) leaves you cold, then you should get on that phone, talking to Motorola and Telus, and get them to open up the market for you.

9. cdndave

cdndave New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @big_adventure: thanks for the detailed advice :) I think I`ll wait for awhile. Google is suppose to release an update next week on the action plan for Canadian market.

I`m not sure for 200 crazy people will help... ;)

Dave

10. stalwar

stalwar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to be the limit for this facebook app has been exceeded and it won't download, any other suggestions?

11. Magnate82

Magnate82 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any app help we command our milestone throw voice (Like many phone does). Like call some one, Bluetooth on...

12. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just search for VoiceDialer.apk and VoiceSearch.apk