[YAY!] VoiceSearch for the Milestone

Discussion in 'Motorola Milestone' started by RinTinTigger, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2

Glad you made it through.
    Are you from germany?

^^

2. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Danke schön Tigger

Thanks Tigger -

I was depressed when my French Milestone showed up without voice search. This at least tides me over until 2.1 goodness, or at least 2.0.x, when Moto might decide to include it for everyone.

To everyone else - this absolutely works and absolutely ROCKS. Though it does lead to collateral damage - my wife freaked out last night as I kept talking to my phone, and it kept making the Super Mario Brothers coin sound back at me to tell me that it gets me.

To anyone with a Milestone - I strongly recommend installing the 2.1 Gallery apk and Tigger's voice search apk.

3. RinTinTigger

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2
    **thumbs up***

Those are the best apps from 2.1 ever :D
    Just waiting for Google Earth, and i aint need no 2.1

4. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you. 2.0.1 would be nice, just to fix the camera and upgrade the battery life a notch or two, but in general, it's hard to complain too much about this beast as long as you keep a charging cable close.

5. RinTinTigger

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well, concerning battery the DROID is just great compared to my Storm 1 before ^^
    But well ok, i could use the Autofocus fix!

Tigger

6. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, well, I came from a Bold, and that thing would last and last. Of course, I also never used it quite like I use this - I've been doing 100megs of HSPA data per or more on my Milestone. Orange is sending me threatening text messages. I'd say that this phone does as well as the iPhone 3G I had before the Bold.

7. DAGr8

DAGr8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am form Montreal Canada bought this second hand form a person that was in the US for the holidays ,he said Verizon ordered it for me and it wss there in 2 DAYS , he got back here and sold it to the highest bidder with all e accessories he got so I got a nie deal ..

I was modding f/w forthe E6 2 yrs ago and we did manage to put language packs for VR even if VR was not implemented in the first place I suspect , once rooted this will be piece of cake to do it on milestone ..

8. greg_p

greg_p Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Works correctly here ... in english! Is there any paramtrability tohave it working in french?

9. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Voice Search is enabled by default on US or UK phones (thus, native English-speaking countries). However, it is disabled by default on non-native-English phones.

My phone, bought in France, did not have Voice Search. It doesn't matter if I selected French, US English, UK English, German or anything else, it didn't work.

This is the case for everyone who bought their phone in a non-English speaking native supported language. Thus, if you buy the phone in Germany, no Voice Search. If you buy it in Spain, no Voice Search. If you buy it in Argentina, no Voice Search. I don't know what happens if you buy the phone in a country that doesn't get native language support. Maybe you get a Native English ROM in that case and thus, Voice Search in English? I don't know.

What I do know is that Tigger's mod makes Voice Search (in English, but that's not a problem for me) work on my Milestone.

So let me add one to my list of must-haves (must-hacks?) for a Milestone:
    Hacked Droid/US Google Maps (to get Turn-by-Turn nav in Maps)
    2.1 Gallery from the Nexus ROM
    Tigger's Voice Search APK if you're not running a UK-bought Milestone

And that's all she wrote.

10. lionelw007

lionelw007 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the same error message. What do you mean by ''edit using adb''? What is adb?

11. greg_p

greg_p Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The 2.1gallery is working on the 2.0 milestone, I have it and it really rocks!. apart for the multitouch. rintintiger has posted the .apk on this forum.

12. big_adventure

big_adventure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know - my list of "must have" apps includes that, and I only know that it's a "must have" because I've been running it since it was first made available a few days ago.

I added one other nice feature that was missing before - the Facebook app on the milestone did not have the contact sync function that the Droid has. You can now find a Facebook.apk from another build that does this nicely:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

I'm using it and it works well - this never worked with the Milestone before.

One thing weird - I had to uninstall my old Facebook app AND change the locale of my phone from France to US to get the app to install - it refused to install until I did both.