Yawn, Looks like people are still bending phones.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can we do something new?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well... I can see people sitting on their phones.. But i would think that common sense would tell you not to.. Its not smart... I personally don't leave my phone in my pocket..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually keep my phone in my side pocket but I don't wear skinny jeans so no issue for me. Drop test I understand because we all have been there at one time or another but the bend test, eh. I will admit I have seen females put their phones in their back pocket so maybe the test is meant for them?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The issue for me here is that both the iPhone 6 and the HTC have flat glass but the Samsung Edge has glass which is rolled over the sides. Anytime you have pressure at an angle perpendicular to its own in a brittle substance such as glass, you're going to catastrophically increase the stress since the glass would have to stretch and deform to bend along the roll, which it obviously can't do, and instead shatters. So it makes complete sense that the phone's screen will shatter where the glass starts to roll over the edge. It's no different than taking a piece of paper and bending it along its flat plane vs trying to bend it at an edge when in fact all it does is tear at the edge.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Exactly.. No matter how the glass is made.. Even in a laminate form.. Its going to be the tendency of glass to shatter. Even "willow" glass, once it reached its pliability limits shatters..

This is just the in "problem"..before this.. It was flexing and twisting.. Now it's bending.. Soon.. It'll be... Idk.. Falling?? Lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What a waste of R&D money. Is someone seriously going to put that much force into bending a phone, let alone sitting on it with that much force?

Besides, these tests apply to a certain crowd, the crowd that treats their phone like it's indestructible. Do they really think that these kinds of people are watching these types of tests on YouTube? I doubt it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I do love the new Bendbot. @dezymond, I hear you and one might not think that those pressures will ever come in contact with a phone in a back pocket, but as tight as some girls are now wearing their pants, and often with very little natural "padding", the pressure on the phone is concentrated by the shape of their butts and amplified by the super tight pockets. Bucket seats in cars are likely a major offender here. And then of course there are those who carry far more weight on their frames. Even still. Repeated lower pressure beginning forces will accumulate over time as the metal is repeatedly slightly deformed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm fat, I put my phone in my back pocket, and I wear jeans.

I also put a case on my phone, I don't wear tight jeans, and my phone is a phone, not a phablet.

I have an idea! Let's start making phones with the idea in mind that it doesn't have to be as slim as a flipping piece of paper in order to be attractive! As I've said before, it's bad enough the women in this country have such a horrible body image issue, do we need to make our phones anorexic as well?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This was a non-issue with my Note 3. Now I have switched my back pocket habits to my front pockets. Ta-Daaa! Problem solved.

I was amazed that the S6 Edge could take that much abuse. It bent at the same pressure as the all metal frame of the i6 Plus, but it has more glass. Maybe there is something behind that Gorilla Glass 4?

Why didn't they test the S6?

moonlifekiss

Reaction score
Seriously. save yourself the agony. don't wanna thread that path. I tried it once, put my S6 edge at my back pocket. Almost had a heart attack (literally). Was relieved to find out it was fine.