Yahoo "sent mail" issue

robboxedit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this has been brought up multiple times but none of the older threads that I've seen seem to have a solution (other that switching to another email app). This is in regards to the fact that when I send and email the recipient gets the email fine but in my Yahoo sent folder it is listed hundreds of times as being sent.

I hadn't really checked my sent mail until recently and was overwhelmed by what I saw. In the folder where there should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4000 sent emails I found a ridiculous 41,289 emails!!! And in all reality, I dont send very many emails from my phone. Im in the midst of SLOWLY deleting these (not really sure why I need to but it must be some anal retentive thing) 200 at a time. One email, in fact, is listed, literally, at least 5000 times!

Now I know that some people will come on here and say "use gmail, its great!" or "use k9, its great!" I switched to k9 for a bit because I liked being able to simply open PDF files, but I don't care for the smaller text and the odd "shading of some emails, shaded with a shaded green bar on some and highlighted with a bright green bar on others" thing it does.

I have a gmail acct but use it solely for my calendar and junk email and have no desire to try to make sure everyone I correspond with gets a whole new address from me.

So, long story longer :), has this been addressed? Any fix coming for it? I've read that its a Yahoo issue. I've also read it's a Droid/Verizon issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

OP
robboxedit

robboxedit

Reaction score
Really? no thoughts on this? Ive spent all morning clearing the sent box out of these duplicates and then noticed something. Seems these duplicates just keep getting sent over and over and not just in one giant blitz. as i would delete tons of these, another duplicate would just show up on occasion. So I ran a test and deleted them all and shut down the phone for a while. After about 20 minutes checked the sent folder and no new duplicates. Fired up the Droid and within a couple minutes I had duplicates of three different emails I had sent from the droid.

Seems to me the issue isnt with how Yahoo deals with Droid, as many people seem to suggest, but rather with how Droid is dealing with Yahoo.

Thoughts? Anyone? Any word if there is a fix for this in 2.1?

OP
robboxedit

robboxedit

Reaction score
just throwing a "bump" out there for one last hope :)

seems that while the droid is off, there are no duplicates being sent but every time the droid checks for mail it duplicates my previously sent mail.....every time! sheesh....a little ridiculous.

last time i'll bump this though, just looking for some input

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's not more discussion about this. As I posted earlier today in another thread, my "sent mail" folder now has over 100,000 emails in it (got my Droid on Nov 7). And, as robboxedit has also discovered, it does no good to delete duplicates from the sent mail folder, because they continue to be generated - LONG after the original email was sent. Hopefully Yahoo doesn't shut down my account when I get over 1,000,000 emails in it...

nerdles1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, you explained exactly what was happening to me. I thought I had a email virus. I purchased antivirus program and closed down my yahoo mail that I had for a long time. I am now using gmail. Maybe a ploy to switch you over??????

raven1911

Reaction score
I have had this for a long time and there is no known fix for this. I switched to gmail and work out of two yahoo accounts but am gradually going to gmail. Been having some problems with gmail lately though for some reason. Hackers in China maybe...LOL

OP
robboxedit

robboxedit

Reaction score
hey guys, not sure if this is a "fix" or just a temp work around but i stumbled onto something last night...

Going into the email app on Droid and found (Im sorry I cant remember this exactly...like I said, stumbled on this) a listing of the emails sent from my droid. It only had listed the emails sent from the droid so i deleted them. As of this afternoon there have been no duplicates showing up. Used to be that they were duplicating at least a couple times an hour in my sent file when I would check it on my comp.

Like i said, not sure this really constitutes a "fix" but at it at least stopped the duplicates for me. Im trying to go back in and find where that folder is but not having any luck. If anyone knows where to find just the droid sent emails that seems to be trick.

TatDroid

Reaction score
About 10 days ago I went in to my Yahoo mail account (using my computer, not my Droid) and deleted all the email in my "sent mail" folder. There were about 100,000 emails in total, and Yahoo deletes them in batches of 25,000 each. Then I went in to preferences and "unchecked" the option to save a copy of each message sent to the "sent mail" folder. End of problem, right? NO!!! I checked today and there are 48,000 emails in my "sent mail" folder - in just 10 days!!! And the crazy thing is that the dates of the emails in there go all the way back to November 10th (when I started sending email from my Droid). So every email I've ever sent from my Droid continues to generate new "sent mail". And, evidently, unchecking the "save copy in sent mail folder" does absolutely nothing, if the email was sent from the Droid. It's like a runaway train! What to do???

jphudy

Reaction score
My wife is having the same problem. Its insane. Glad I don't use yahoo mail. She can barely stand it anymore. Wants an iphone.

billyNOTnice

Reaction score
same problem here... I don't email too much.. but i've noticed with my walkie talkie app i use that i keep getting old notifications and today i received 11 emails that span over 2 months time... what gives... this wasn't a problem when i first bought my phone so why now?:mad:

thelighthouseguy

Reaction score
K-9 Mail Suggestion

To whoever said that K-9 does a wierd "shading thing" on some e-mails.... yes, it does. Those are e-mails that have HTML content that needs to be downloaded to view the complete message. It is a helpful feature for people who do not have unlimited data plans- gives you the heads-up that a particular message may "cost" extra data to open, and lets you choose to "mark as read" without opening if you desire to avoid paying for that "TicketMaster Concert Update" that I get about four days a week... AND..... K-9 so far has been the best, and only, reasonable e-mail app for me on the droid. I miss that part of my blackberry..... :(

ohioDroid

Reaction score
On Motorola's website, when they listed features to be included in Android 2.1 (before they took that down) they said there would be greater support for Yahoo Mail.

Seeing as the only thing that didn't work was this particular issue, maybe there is a fix in the works.

I've been using k9mail because of this issue (and that it has email signatures). If this gets corrected in the main email app I will happily switch back.