1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Yahoo mail issue.....intermittent

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by zero7404, Jan 24, 2010.

1. zero7404

zero7404 New Member

has anyone else experienced this problem ? once in a while i check my yahoo mail that i set up on the phone via the "email" icon, but i get an error message: username/password incorrect.

i know my info is input correctly, most times i check this account via the icon and no problems.....

could this be a yahoo server issue or something happening on Android's side ?
  2. DROIDMASTER

DROIDMASTER New Member

I have this problem too but when I launch mobile yahoo mail in the browser it works perfectly.
  3. Incognito631

Incognito631 New Member

yeah its happens alot. I havent looked but maybe there is a better email app. I'm using the default one that comes with the phone
  4. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

K-9 is better than the stock email app and it works good with yahoo mail.
  5. Incognito631

Incognito631 New Member

thanks i'll check that out
  6. Camdog916

Camdog916 New Member

I just installed K-9 and it said I have 50 new e-mails and they are not new. They are old e-mails that I keep in my Yahoo inbox. I uninstalled it cause this the exact same problem I am having with the email app that is already on the Droid.
  7. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

Just mark them all as read
  8. zero7404

zero7404 New Member

installing an app to do the same thing the phone should do is a bit redundant i think.
    so does anyone know if this is an android issue or a yahoo issue ?
  9. zero7404

zero7404 New Member

no one knos ?
  10. felis silvestris

felis silvestris New Member

I use two email accounts, earthlink and yahoo (free yahoo). I have experienced intermittent email problems as well with both accounts. There will be periods lasting anywhere from 1 to 10 hours where I cannot access email from either of these two accounts. Yeah, I'm disappointed about this being that I bought the phone for email use.

I wonder if the paid yahoo account would work better. Has anyone tried this?

Felis
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

It says flat out in EVERY mail app(stock or not) for Yahoo that there can be HUGE problems because Yahoo doesn't like to play nice with POP3 programs.

So I'm gonna put my money on Yahoo.

You guys are even lucky you get a mail or two. It's supposed to be a 'premium' / paid service.
  12. felis silvestris

I really wonder if Blackberry has the same issues. I just want email that works. Receiving email is an old technology, there's no reason why it should be such a struggle to receive email. My desktop computer has no problems with receiving email why should the Droid behave so intermittently? It doesn't connect to my work email at all. What good is that?
  13. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I can understand being upset about not being able to log into your work email, if you can in fact log in from any computer you want, but Yahoo is a very different story.

Yahoo hates people. They want people to pay for the ability to access their(YOUR) mail via POP3.

It's just sad.
  14. felis silvestris

Today I was considering trying Yahoo's pay POP account to see if it worked better..
  15. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

From all that I understand, from attempting to get Yahoo to work correctly through POP3 for years, the only way to use it reliably is to pay for it. A lot of people can't even get shoddy mail coverage with a free Yahoo account. =\

There USED to be a work around by creating your Yahoo through Asia, but I think they might have stopped that too.
  16. felis silvestris

I get outages on BOTH yahoo and earthlink. In fact, today I'm experiencing one of these long outages going on 8 plus hours now. I'm not receiving email from earthlink or yahoo.
  17. felis silvestris

Okay, after having no email from both earthlink and Yahoo for 9 hours I decided to do a complete power shut down on the Droid. After doing this and going into each email account to press refresh I was finally able get my emails. That was fairly lame.

That reminds me, about a week ago my Droid just died. Nothing I would do would power it up. At first I thought the battery was dead, but I was puzzled by the fact that the battery said 50% moments before dying on me. Anyway, for about half the day I had no phone. I was at work, busy. People were trying to reach me and I had to explain my cell was dead. The charger wasn't making it turn on. Then after about 5 hours of this I thought that, maybe, removing the battery would work. It did.

So, does this mean these episodes of rebooting and removing the battery are prelude to what the next two years will be like for me?

I wonder if the Blackberry is this retarded. I think the Droid is aimed more the 17 year old kids more than anything else.
  18. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

While I understand your frustration at this moment, I don't think all you are saying is very fair.

Yahoo being Yahoo, I won't go into that any further. Earthlink and as I said earlier, work mail, might be a different story. But there are limitations to POP mail, regardless of carrier.

The problem is: Android is still very new and young in it's career as an OS and it's doing pretty well considering what it's up against.

Also Moto hasn't been known for their great hardware design prior to this phone.

In all actuality, the phone has many bugs, but I was aware as were many, many other consumers because we looked further into it. This isn't a cheap phone, so I would hope you would have looked into consumer reviews prior to making that purchase. Not sure if you did, but I think you would be more aware of the limitations... Especially the ones you are facing.

Email is a touchy subject. You can't always be upset if the phone isn't getting all POP mail, some of it's beyond Moto/Verizons/Googles control. I would be much happier if I saw you complaining about something related to just it's abilities, like No Speedial or No Sound Profiles.

As with any electrical device when something isn't working correctly, you should always remove the power and reapply it before you assume something is wrong with it. Sometimes you need to properly clear the internal memory because it does, with time, get bogged down. You should be power cycling the phone at least every couple of days, just like you should be doing with your computer or even your tv.

It's just how these things work.
  19. arbs

arbs New Member

Free Yahoo POP3

Yahoo does work better with POP3 and there is a way to get POP3 WITHOUT signing up for their paid service. You are going to have to convert your account to their Asia network, but you shouldn't notice any difference. Don't worry, its not going to change the language or anything. Do this:

-Sign in at mail.yahoo.com
    -Click Options in the top right, then Mail Options from the drop down.
    -Then My Account at the very top next to the Yahoo Mail symbol.
    (Will then take you to another screen to log in again)
    -Sign in again.
    -Under Account Settings heading, click on Set Language, site, and time zone.
    -From drop down box choose Yahoo! Asia, you wont have to change anything else here.
    -Click Finished
    -Sign out of My Account
    -Sign out of Yahoo mail.
    -Sign back in to mail.yahoo.com
    -Click Options button in top right again, choose Mail Options from the drop down.
    -Now on the menu on the left, you should be able to click POP and Forwarding.
    -Since we are now on the Asia network, you will see a link that says Set up or edit POP & Forwarding.
    -Now just follow along the POP settings, set it up on your Droid, and now you're set.
  20. felis silvestris

It's probably a good idea to reinstall the operating system periodically as well.