yahoo mail fix on 2.1. Really?

Sal

Reaction score
We need a subthread on this, as the main 2.1 threads are unwieldy. How is yahoo mail working for those of you who have converted. Is it working with a simple signin as promised? Has it clogged up your sent file as before? Does it really still fail on wifi? Would love to get a wide cross section of opinion. Thanks...

papy72

Reaction score
Got 2.1 this morning. Ran the Email app, put in my yahoo email address/password, fiddled with the options screen and bingo, everything worked. It puts a notification of new email in my bar and is pretty darn nice.

Remember, it only works over 3G, not WiFi.

I'd never even tried yahoo mail before today (just used the browser for it) and I must say I am quite happy with the results.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
I've been using the browser too. They like us accessing via ad supported web. I was wondering if wifi would work if you paid for yahoo plus....

mrdroid

Reaction score
I've been using Yahoo Mail since the original Droid 2.0.0... I've never been able to figure out where people were having issues or how it wasn't supported. I have 6 accounts... I enter in my email address, then my password and click next. That's it, it has never not worked. I think it frustrates me as much as people saying it doesn't work because I just don't get how it doesn't work for other people.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using Yahoo Mail since the original Droid 2.0.0... I've never been able to figure out where people were having issues or how it wasn't supported. I have 6 accounts... I enter in my email address, then my password and click next. That's it, it has never not worked. I think it frustrates me as much as people saying it doesn't work because I just don't get how it doesn't work for other people.

I had gotten mine to work, but the new way it's done it alot better. Unlike you i was never able to do that on my phone, i always had to manually put in the server settings to get the email to work at all.

dswan

Reaction score
Yahoo works "out of the box" now without having to change any settings. The one annoyance is that it is still filling up my Sent mail folder with about 25 instances of each message I send.

I'm also a little surprised that the Android mail client does not support IMAP Idle and push new messages to the device. I know Yahoo supports this as I used to have it setup on my Nokia.

Vitticeps

Reaction score

Mine has always worked as well. Supposedly something to do with the approximate timeframe you signed up for the yahoo account.

Sal said:
I've been using the browser too. They like us accessing via ad supported web. I was wondering if wifi would work if you paid for yahoo plus....

Yes it will. Same goes for using the yahoo asia workaround (search the forum for it).

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yahoo works "out of the box" now without having to change any settings. The one annoyance is that it is still filling up my Sent mail folder with about 25 instances of each message I send.

I'm also a little surprised that the Android mail client does not support IMAP Idle and push new messages to the device. I know Yahoo supports this as I used to have it setup on my Nokia.

Yeah i stopped sending messages on my yahoo account because of the sent messages thing. One day i logged in and went to look for a sent message to find that i had 34000 sent messages, 33947 of them were the same message, and it was sent from my droid. Those are actually very close numbers to the real number of messages, i'm not really exaggerating.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

Dang it!! That sent folder issue, still? Anyone else noticing that too?

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

Yeah i stopped sending messages on my yahoo account because of the sent messages thing. One day i logged in and went to look for a sent message to find that i had 34000 sent messages, 33947 of them were the same message, and it was sent from my droid. Those are actually very close numbers to the real number of messages, i'm not really exaggerating.

And no sent mail issues today with 2.1 for you? ......

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I think I know what happened.

When you enter an '@yahoo.com' email address, the email app automatically uses a new set of servers. I'm doing IMAP right now, and the IMAP and SMTP yahoo servers have 'android' in the name.

I think the only change they made to the email app was for it to default to those servers if you used Yahoo. I bet Yahoo on their end set up new servers so that we wouldn't have the million Sent Items issue.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

When you enter an '@yahoo.com' email address, the email app automatically uses a new set of servers. I'm doing IMAP right now, and the IMAP and SMTP yahoo servers have 'android' in the name.

I think the only change they made to the email app was for it to default to those servers if you used Yahoo. I bet Yahoo on their end set up new servers so that we wouldn't have the million Sent Items issue.

But, no, unfortunately. Someone on this thread has already said they still ARE getting extra copies of sent messages in their sent folder,,,only about 25 extra copies per email, but still...say it ain't so....:icon_evil:

ohioDroid

Reaction score

But, no, unfortunately. Someone on this thread has already said they still ARE getting extra copies of sent messages in their sent folder,,,only about 25 extra copies per email, but still...say it ain't so....:icon_evil:

I've been watching. I have not had ANY duplicates.

I think it really is using the new servers that may be doing it.

android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

EDIT: And now I have to take it back. It JUST started duplicating. That's so weird! I've been using it for hours and the emails I sent in the past 4 hours have been fine. Why is it starting now.... Maybe because I manually told it to check?

Last edited:

shochman

Reaction score
The no wifi restriction is lame. I give up! I just signed up for Yahoo Plus and configured a POP3 connection and it works fine. Yahoo Plus can be cancelled at any time and Yahoo will reimburse you for the months you did not use.