yahoo mail app

granitemon

Reaction score
I've been using the yahoo mail app for a while now, and have run into my first problem. Moto droid non rooted, running frg22d. For some reason, when I get a message from gmail, I get about 40 lines of code/gibberish. I noticed this on about 5 emails today, so I reinstalled the app.

The messages that were screwed up, are now fixed.

But, as I received more gmails, the jibberish thing started again. The old emails remained fixed though.

What I've found is that if I want to see messages properly, I have to either reinstall, or do the "remove account" essentially signing out then back in.

I've not seen any other posts, or anything that indicates it is a known issue. I'm guessing its a brand new malfunction, and people will begin to notice.

So if anyone is using the yahoo app, let me know what happens if you get a gmail.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing lately, not just gmail email, but others including yahoo. also sometimes I don't get my alert for new emails, and I can't save a photo sent as an attachment. I think the yahoo app needs an update, or I need an app that I can use my yahoo account, but it works right.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
I've isolated the jibberish thing down to the preview box. If you still want to use the preview, the message comes through ok, you just need to scroll past the crap to see it.

As for notification I'm not sure. I check manually to save battery.

And ill also look into the attatchment thing.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Also, whether its a pic or a document attatchment, when you click on it it loads. It is automatically saved in the yahoo cache. Get astro file viewer, and you can then move the attatchments to the desired location.

droidmark

Reaction score
I too am seeing the gibberish-- very annoying. One workaround is to hit Reply and read it as a quoted message.

Also regarding notifications-- for me (Droid 1 with rooted FRG22D) they seem to fail after a reboot, until I open the app the first time. After that, seems to be reliable.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Yeah, that method worked for me also. Couple other things though, occasionally when trying to attatch a photo it comes up as "file can't be read" or something like that. I have found that signing out (remove account) and then back in takes care of that problem. Also, when I get a notification, for example, from this forum, I can't click on the link. Either have to go find it or log into the full yahoo site.

Lastly, I'm only using this app because moto droid native email and gmail apps suck. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this while using yahoo on the built in email app...
-if I send you a message, and then look in my sent items folder, for a moment I will see your name as the recipient. But after a while (time varies) all the items in the sent box show my name instead of recipient. Not very handy trying to track down an old email.

Also found that if I send you a message, and you reply, I can no longer view the original message.

So, if anyone has suggestions, or instructions on yahoo app, or regular email app, please post em.

Mark

droidmark

Reaction score
I too find Yahoo mail on the built-in app to be fraught with multiple issues which was why I was glad to switch to the Yahoo app, but it seems to be getting worse itself.

A couple other options-- using Yahoo's mobile email site from the browser is not too bad a user experience although I haven't delved too much into how gracefully it handles folders etc.

I have not tried some of the highly-rated email clients on the Market such as K-9 or Mail Droid. Any opinions on those?

johnnycool001

Reaction score
Also, whether its a pic or a document attatchment, when you click on it it loads. It is automatically saved in the yahoo cache. Get astro file viewer, and you can then move the attatchments to the desired location.

I have astro, and I see the photos in the cache. but when I touch the picture I get the same two options I get when I touch the attachment link in the email. to view in astro, or view in gallaery, astro gives a share option but no save.

I don't know if it was Froyo update or the last yahoo update. but when I first got the phone when I clicked on the link I had the option to view or save.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I've isolated the jibberish thing down to the preview box. If you still want to use the preview, the message comes through ok, you just need to scroll past the crap to see it.

As for notification I'm not sure. I check manually to save battery.

And ill also look into the attatchment thing.

This has seemed to fix my jibberish thing as well.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
My notifacation issues seem to be intermitten. I ususally get a email every night form a online store I have purchesed stuff from in the past. every night before be I pulg into the charger. some morings I wake up and the light is fashing. somtimes not. if not If I go to the app it usually works for the rest of the day. usually. I have also noticed my sent folder count never changes. I too would like to know if their is another app that works well with Yahoo.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Concerning the photo attatchments, sign out and back in. (Just hit "remove account.) When you go back to the startup screen, you'll see all your info is saved, just click "sign in."

It also helps if you hit the refresh button while on the "folders" page. Your pics should be viewable then.

As far as k9, I found it to be full of error messages etc... and the droidmail seems to be a copy of the built in app.

I've also got a shortcut to yahoo mail, but I like to keep this for sending out a message to a developer, or any other time I need to send a message while on a web page.

Just wish I knew how an app that has not been updated or changed, can develop so many problems. When it was new, it was absolutely perfect for about a month. Also too bad that yahoo WILL NOT respond to emails. And, judging by the importance of email in a smartphone, its amazing no one has created an app that works. Someone could make a ****load of cash on something like that.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
Concerning the photo attatchments, sign out and back in. (Just hit "remove account.) When you go back to the startup screen, you'll see all your info is saved, just click "sign in."

It also helps if you hit the refresh button while on the "folders" page. Your pics should be viewable then.

As far as k9, I found it to be full of error messages etc... and the droidmail seems to be a copy of the built in app.

I've also got a shortcut to yahoo mail, but I like to keep this for sending out a message to a developer, or any other time I need to send a message while on a web page.

Just wish I knew how an app that has not been updated or changed, can develop so many problems. When it was new, it was absolutely perfect for about a month. Also too bad that yahoo WILL NOT respond to emails. And, judging by the importance of email in a smartphone, its amazing no one has created an app that works. Someone could make a ****load of cash on something like that.

I don't have a problem seeing the attachment. just can't save it.
Let sat I get a message with a attachment, a picture (pic1.jpg) I touch the attachment link. box pops up and says loading, next box pops up ask to use astro or gallery. select either one. picture pops up. but that is it. Astro gives a share option, but no save. same issue when i go into to yahoo cache, can view but no save. before when you touched the attichment link you had a choice save or view.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I did. Pain in the ass? YES. Did it work? YES.

I sent myself a pic out of my gallery from gmail. Opened the message with yahoo app, clicked on the attatchment and waited forever for it to load. I was able to view it, but it didn't automatically show up in my gallery either.

At this point, I could have used astro to move the pic up to DCIM, and create a folder for it. I think if you wait long enough, it will show up in the gallery on its own.

But instead of waiting, I did a battery pull, turned the phone back on, and there was the pic in my galllery.

Absolute pain in the ass, but do able.

Can I also suggest an app for viewing photos. Search market for "big picture viewer." Its a free app. Since the upgrade back in april, the gallery only displays in 16 bitmap, wheras this app shows in 24.

You'll really notice how much better your pics look. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.
Mark

johnnycool001

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I did. Pain in the ass? YES. Did it work? YES.

I sent myself a pic out of my gallery from gmail. Opened the message with yahoo app, clicked on the attatchment and waited forever for it to load. I was able to view it, but it didn't automatically show up in my gallery either.

At this point, I could have used astro to move the pic up to DCIM, and create a folder for it. I think if you wait long enough, it will show up in the gallery on its own.

But instead of waiting, I did a battery pull, turned the phone back on, and there was the pic in my galllery.

Absolute pain in the ass, but do able.

Can I also suggest an app for viewing photos. Search market for "big picture viewer." Its a free app. Since the upgrade back in april, the gallery only displays in 16 bitmap, wheras this app shows in 24.

You'll really notice how much better your pics look. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.
Mark

First thank you for your effort in this matter. I did notice that some pics I was trying to download the other day did in fact show up today. I was trying to figuer out how the hell that happened. now I know. So I guess now evertime you view an attachment it auto downloads but don't immedatly show up. unless you reboot. I looked at 2 attiments this morning at 5:30am at 1:45pm they were not in the gallery but was in the yahoo cache. I downloaded large pictuer viewer. (cool app) not their, hit refrese, not their then. poof their they are. check the gallery they are their too. did the new app do it? I don't know. guess the astro methoid is going to be the fastst and most relible. Now I don't like the fact that ever attachment you view it downloads and will show up sometime maybe. I don't nessery want to save every attachment I look at, so now I guess I will have to keep looking and deleating want I don't want.

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Glad I could help. I wish everyone with a droid would get that large viewer app. Yeah, the droid isn't a professional camera, but I think that most people who complain about the camera snap a shot, and go right to the stock gallery to see the "results." Of course the pics look like crap in there. When I'm out shooting something, I ALWAYS check my pics in this viewer before leaving the scene.

Furthermore, I discovered that at max resolution, droid is 2592x1936. Most computer monitors are only 1024x?. In other words, you can't even see the true quality unless you have it professionally developed, or have a gigantic computer monitor.

I recently took some pics for my new brochure (for my business) to the print shop. He actually didn't believe that I had taken them on a cell phone. Low light is really this camera's only enemy. Outdoors though, unless you're doing really artsy shots, I would put it up against any $300 camera.