Ya Know What - NO it's NOT

Hodor

Reaction score
Many of my friends and families phones are a mess... loaded with all kinds of crap. I don't even try (outside my immediate family) to fix or explain whats wrong, that their phone is running lousy because there is no working ram left. That wouldn't mean a thing to them. Reminds me of when I used to fix pc's for everyone, you'd remove all their malware, tell them not to click on everything, etc etc and run a program like malwarebytes on a regular basis, and they would be like, I sure will, thank you so so much! 2 weeks later they'd be back on the phone calling about the same problem. After a while I just got tired of hearing it and quit. Being ignorant of technology is not an excuse. I also used to teach computer class. I used to use cars as examples, saying that you didn't need to know how to build or engineer one, but you did need to know basic things to keep one running. And so it is with pc's and now smartphones and tablets. Adding 3 gig or more of ram is manufacturers attempt to alleviate this problem, but I still see phones where that's almost all used up. So maybe the average consumer doesn't care what operating system their device is on, but they do care when it's not running right.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many of my friends and families phones are a mess... loaded with all kinds of crap. I don't even try (outside my immediate family) to fix or explain whats wrong, that their phone is running lousy because there is no working ram left. That wouldn't mean a thing to them. Reminds me of when I used to fix pc's for everyone, you'd remove all their malware, tell them not to click on everything, etc etc and run a program like malwarebytes on a regular basis, and they would be like, I sure will, thank you so so much! 2 weeks later they'd be back on the phone calling about the same problem. After a while I just got tired of hearing it and quit. Being ignorant of technology is not an excuse. I also used to teach computer class. I used to use cars as examples, saying that you didn't need to know how to build or engineer one, but you did need to know basic things to keep one running. And so it is with pc's and now smartphones and tablets. Adding 3 gig or more of ram is manufacturers attempt to alleviate this problem, but I still see phones where that's almost all used up. So maybe the average consumer doesn't care what operating system their device is on, but they do care when it's not running right.
I overheard a conversation the other day between 2 older ladies about computers. One says "are you gonna look up whatever it was on the website?" The other says "no my laptop is broken. It's got a virus and won't run". The other asks "could you use one of your kids" to which she answers "yes I could ask my son to use his. He has virus protection on his so he doesn't get viruses". The other asks "why not do that to yours" to which the other answers "the man that sold it to me never mentioned it so it won't work on mine". The other says "that's a shame that it'll work on some but not others, they should not be allowed to sell laptops that can't have virus protection".
That is the world we live in outside of these forums.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I overheard a conversation the other day between 2 older ladies about computers. One says "are you gonna look up whatever it was on the website?" The other says "no my laptop is broken. It's got a virus and won't run". The other asks "could you use one of your kids" to which she answers "yes I could ask my son to use his. He has virus protection on his so he doesn't get viruses". The other asks "why not do that to yours" to which the other answers "the man that sold it to me never mentioned it so it won't work on mine". The other says "that's a shame that it'll work on some but not others, they should not be allowed to sell laptops that can't have virus protection".
That is the world we live in outside of these forums.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

LOL!!! Sounds exactly like my dad. I can hear this conversation happening 100%.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Sounds like some of the same reasons I gave up fixing friends computers as well. It was a PITA having to fix the same exact issue every time. You are better off talking to a wall sometimes. Was also interesting to me to listen to a friend of mine complain about antivirus since it slowed down his machine and got way too involved in the OS. Some just don't get it and never will.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea I only fix my in-laws computer now. That's it.
Out of the blue someone I had not spoken to in over a year sent me a text "can you cone over tonight and fix my computer?"
Tonight? Really?
That was the last straw. If someone calls me now? I ask how old is it? If its 3 years old or older I say "buy a new one".

Must read for any of you who are (or were): TFWIGWC

6 Reasons The Guy Who s Fixing Your Computer Hates You Cracked.com

#6 is the main reason I quit helping people...

Take the time to read that. I promise you laughs.
Yes...that has been in my bookmarks since 2011...

TapaTurbo

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Out of the blue someone I had not spoken to in over a year sent me a text "can you cone over tonight and fix my computer?"
Tonight? Really?
That was the last straw. If someone calls me now? I ask how old is it? If its 3 years old or older I say "buy a new one".

TapaTurbo
Awesome stuff. As someone who has been "fixing" laptops for family and my wife's friends....there is so much of that article that is so true.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Tonight? Really?

TapaTurbo
I shared that on Facebook because that's where most of my side work comes from.

My big problem is that I'm dirt cheap too. I cleaned one up for a lady at work for a player of philly cheese steaks.

If I charged em more, I might not get so many recurring calls.

Sent from my Note 4

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Back to the "regular people don't care about this stuff"

Post from a different forum:

I constantly drop calls. Help?

Which phone do you have?

Not sure which one it is I upgraded to Samsung last summer from a blackberry

And the box didn't have a name?

All I remember seeing on the box said was Samsung Galaxy when I made the purchase

DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHICH PHONE HE HAS!!!! Let alone what OS it has on it.
#CaseRested

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Back to the "regular people don't care about this stuff"

Post from a different forum:

I constantly drop calls. Help?

Which phone do you have?

Not sure which one it is I upgraded to Samsung last summer from a blackberry

And the box didn't have a name?

All I remember seeing on the box said was Samsung Galaxy when I made the purchase

DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHICH PHONE HE HAS!!!! Let alone what OS it has on it.
#CaseRested
That kinda thing NEVER happens on this forum. ;)

saschaelble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
xt1254
Well if your pissed off you can't update, how about flashing /system with whatever you want?

1coopgt

Reaction score
Well if your pissed off you can't update, how about flashing /system with whatever you want?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL apparently you don't know much about the phone you own . Nice trolling attempt .