Xoom won't do.... Anything

OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
Damn. Strike 15. Updated to latest USB drivers (which I think I already had bc it only gave repair and remove options) I repaired and no dice. Fastboot won't work. Agggg

Worth uninstalling then reinstalling? Motorola device mgr 2.3.9

Also, when I check devices the xoom is only recognized as an "s flash" in rsd mode. Doesn't recognize any drives or files

Sent from my Inspire™ 4G With Beats Audio using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Are you booting to fastboot protocol mode and letting windows detect the device in that mode before trying to fastboot? What fastboot files are you using?

If booting to fastboot and windows has detected...what kind of errors are you getting? Try fast boot OEM unlock and let me know the results.....

If it boots to the logo, it is repairable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
Are you booting to fastboot protocol mode and letting windows detect the device in that mode before trying to fastboot? What fastboot files are you using?

If booting to fastboot and windows has detected...what kind of errors are you getting? Try fast boot OEM unlock and let me know the results.....

If it boots to the logo, it is repairable.

Absolutely booting to fastboot before attempting any cmds. When you say what fastboot files ya kinda list me...the SDK bundle?

No errors. Just no response. I will try OEM unlock again right now .

Nothing.

teje4emu.jpg

What's next? Lol. Thank you very much again

Last edited:
OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
Only screens I can access

5u8uzyme.jpg

zyrata2u.jpg

u8u6apu2.jpg

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Fastboot files would be the files to flash to the device. You would have to download them from Motorola. Should be a system.img, a boot.img, a recovery.img and a user.img.

Put them in the same location fastboot is located to make it easier. If you don't have them....you'll need to find them and/or ask around for them. Unfortunately when I sold my Xoom I deleted the ones I had downloaded. I looked earlier on Motorola's site and couldn't find them...as well, links I had to them no longer work.

That's one reason I suggested trying to flash the recovery.img file I linked in earlier an posting, it would allow you to install CM10.1 or EOS, etc...Roms if you can't find the stock one.

Try the fastboot OEM unlock and then the fastboot the recovery as stated above.

OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
Ok. Btw...when stuck in waitingfor device what's the best way to cancel out?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Very weird...

When you do the fastboot oem unlock, what are you getting on the Xoom's display? Since you are getting the "waiting on device", either your computer is not talking to the Xoom or the Xoom hasn't properly initialized the Fastboot protocol boot sequence.

I downloaded the file you linked....once I was approved....and opened the zip up....it's the correct files for the original OS (OS 3.0 and then it'll update all the way to 4.1.2, one update at a time...). You should be extracting those to the same location fastboot.exe sits so you have fastboot.exe, system.img, boot.img, recovery.img and userdata.img all in the same folder and run the commands from a DOS prompt at that directory...

You could try RSDlite again with this file, http://sbfdownload.droid-developers.org/everest/VZW_MZ604_signed_JZO54K.combo.sbf.gz

OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to respond. Xoom is still useless, as far as I can tell. TC I tried to rsd with that file in your last post, same old crap. Gets stuck on either "switching to bp/lte pass through", or one other message like "Jump to RDL" or something. First rsd will create an image file and once that's at 100% it says "device renumeration" and reboots. When rebooting I tried to hold the button to get back to rsd protocol as well as just let it run. Fail every time and every file. Recovery will not boot and fast boot commands are ignored . I did ALOT of reading for potential solutions and some said holding down for 20 seconf s when rebooting will get fast boot to be recognized.... Not for me. All fast boot commands stick on waiting for device.

Any other options? TC I remember you saying if I get to red M its likely salvageable, what would you do next?

Thanks again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Stop using RSD and use Fastboot. Unzip the files to the same location your FASTBOOT.exe command is located, boot the Xoom in Fastboot mode and manually Fastboot each .img file.

Have you loaded the proper drivers for the device so that your PC can actually talk to the device?

Turn your XOOM off

Press Power to turn your XOOM back on

When the Motorola Dual Core boot screen appears tap Volume Down repeatedly until "Fastboot RSD" is displayed

Press Volume Up to enter Fastboot RSD

Plug USB cable in to Xoom and then plug in to PC. Make sure the PC loads the drivers to talk to the device (no ! in device manager).

Type
fastboot oem unlock and hit enter
If you get waiting for device you do not have the drivers loaded to talk to the Xoom over USB. You need to download and install them.
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

If you can't get beyond the "waiting for device" then you may be stuck with a non-functioning device.....

OP
L

ldeezy80

Reaction score
OK. Will give another go. One thing, I can't power off the Xoom. Only soft reboot. When I repeatededly tap down I never get a Fast boot RSD, only fast boot protocol. Is that abnormal?

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Fast boot protocol is where you want to be, the use the UP volume to select it. It's been about a year since I've owned a Xoom so details are fading and I have to rely on general memories of doing things.....so if you volume down and see Fastboot protocol, volume up to select it.

You want the device in fastboot protocol mode, you want your PC to have loaded the drivers for the device while it's in that mode ("device is ready to use") and then you want to fastboot each .img file. You have to be unlocked to do so, so start with

fastboot oem unlock
This will bring up a dialog on your Xoom so read/complete it. This wipes all user data.

Then
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
from the unzipped file you previously downloaded. It's best to have the system.img, recovery.img boot.img and userdata.img files located in the same folder as your fastboot.exe command, it should be in the platform-tools folder inside the Android SDK.

If you can do that and boot to recovery you can fastboot the other files
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
and so on...

or...if recovery installs and you can boot to it...you can fastboot flash recovery (twrp or cwm..whichever you download) and use that recovery to install whatever Xoom Rom you want.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Ok. This is my 2 cents! It appears that you are not using the matching version of the file to the bootloader on the device. Please look thru this list and download the correct version you had on your device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1316358

Then also download the newest version of RSDLite you can find. I recommend 6.1.4:

http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-development/18743-how-flash-sbf-rsd-method.html

Then attempt to flash the device. Please allow it to complete! This can take a VERY long time! Maybe even hours! Then if it completed...complete a full factory reset from inside the OS. At this point...i would flash the SBF again and reset again to ensure that it is correct! Then flash all the newest parts as other poster instructed using fastboot. ;) you can message me to set up a time and I can help you thru it all over a messenger if you like

Last edited: