Xoom & root

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I've been on the edge about this the past couple of weeks.

Is there any real benefits to rooting a wifi xoom? My first and main reason, SD card support, has already been answered by the update so that's one reason I don't see myself going through the trouble for.

I know I can run ROMs and different kernels, but someone give me that extra push towards either direction. I know it's a bit of a different process, but I've rooted pretty much every Droid possible. Even flashed CM7 onto a TouchPad, so just need that extra push to root or not to root.

Going to Vegas in December for Christmas and got about a 9hr roadtrip for that so that's when the real test for my xoom begins.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Here's your extra push:
RI98n.jpg

Solarnz, one of Tiamat Rom's devs, is already working on an ICS port. We'll probably have ICS running on the Xoom wayyyyyy before Moto pushes out an OTA. :icon_ lala:http://i.imgur.com/RI98n.jpg

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok bazar, you've convinced me just with that lock screen LOL!

You mind directing me how to root it? I know it's a bit of a different process from phones.

Is the ROM stable? Don't want the thing giving me problems during my roadtrip, wanna make sure it's stable and smooth.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
that image above is a beta that I can't find a download for, so I don't think he's got it as an open beta yet. But right now we have the Tiamat Rom that's on 3.2.1 right now, hopefully he'll be getting ICS ported, finished and working soon tho, then you'll be able to have your lock screen lol (if that changes the timing of when you decide you want to root)
If you're going to root right now, this is a great guide : [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE : it definitely works, has been tested and used by many. I prefer the Rogue Recovery and Kernel, but there's also a modified CWM by Tiamat and their Kernel.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks bazar!I'll look into it hopefully over the weekend. Got the newest Assassin's Creed taking my time up right now. Hopefully I'll have enough time to beat it by Friday lol.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
dumb question: When I want to unlock the device I type that in the cmd on PC right? Are there any other additional steps to unlocking the device?

Khaoszr

Reaction score
dumb question: When I want to unlock the device I type that in the cmd on PC right? Are there any other additional steps to unlocking the device?

Yea, the commands to unlock and root your device you enter on your computer through ADB