Xoom or galaxy tab?

Actuallee

Reaction score
So I k ow that I'm a little behind the game but I was wondering if anyone has a compelling reason to go one way or the other? I like Samsung quality but the Xoom will be updated first for things. I am getting one of these because I just bought a gnex off contract and am now broke. So since there are newer models out these two will be cheaper. So any advice?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rherron

Reaction score
They are both really similar and both are nice. I cannot say my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is "better." I can only tell you I like it a lot. The only other comparable tablet I've played with a bit is an ASUS Transformer (not the T Prime, just the T). That was noticeably heavier in my hand. Additionally, the edges of that tablet were almost square cut (not the corners, the edges around the side) and were uncomfortable compared to the smooth, rounded edges of the Tab. I'd hold each one and type an email or surf on the web or something if I were you. See which one you like. The specs are very, very similar. The only thing I liked better about the Transformer was that the back of it was highly textured, so it wasn't slick like the Galaxy. Not a big deal for me since I keep mine in a case, but if you're not going to use a case it's something to consider. If you do get a case I really like this one:

Amazon.com: Acase Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 P7500 High Quality Premium Slim Leather Case Folio with built-in Stand for Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi Only (Black): Electronics

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I have a Motorola Xoom (ICS), a ASUS Transformer (ICS) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Honeycomb).

Hardware specs are near identical on all three of them and in all honesty....the best priced one will be your best choice.

Xoom pluses - Official Google Experience device, unlockable bootloader, ICS officially pushed out.

Transformer pluses - Best display of the three, ICS officially pushed out, thinner and lighter than the Xoom.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 pluses - Thinnest and lightest of the three. A very impressive looking/feeling device because of that. Still officially on OS 3.2 but ICS should be coming soon enough.

Spec wise they are all so similar that whichever gets you the best deal.....go for it.

I use the Xoom (32gig), my wife is using the Transformer (16gig) and I gave the Galaxy Tab to my mother.

OP
A

Actuallee

Reaction score
Thanks all. Good food for thought

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Noticed the galaxy tab is on sale at best buy right now fyi. Also looking at tablets right now and trying to decide 1. If I really need one and 2. If its really worth it. I wish they would have dropped the price of the original transformer a little more when the prime came out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
A

Actuallee

Reaction score
Seriously. The original tab is still pretty pricey even with the new one coming.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Noticed the galaxy tab is on sale at best buy right now fyi. Also looking at tablets right now and trying to decide 1. If I really need one and 2. If its really worth it. I wish they would have dropped the price of the original transformer a little more when the prime came out.

I definitely think tablets are worth it. If you like doing anything on your phone....you'll typically like doing it on your tablet much more. Larger screen, not interrupted with phone calls, worried about battery life, etc..... I bought some cheap Veiwsonic Gtablets when they first came out...one for me, one for my wife. Started using them more than our laptops as they were more convenient to use (lighter, already on, smaller form factor) for the basics (web browsing, emailing, facebook, twitter, etc...) while watching TV. I eventually replaced my cheap tablet with the Xoom, then my wife's with the Transformer. We hardly ever use our laptops now.

Plus...I enjoy the much larger screen (10" vs. 4") as my eyesight is getting worse with age :(

Most of the things I used my phone to do...I now do on my tablet and my phone is more a phone (giving it fantastic battery time). I also don't have to scroll around viewing small sections of a web page but can have almost the entire page displayed.

My phone is my "mobile" data source and used for tethering the tablet when needed. My Tablet is my home data source (or vacation, etc..) for when I'm watching TV but want to also keep up with forums, twitter, etc.....or play a game of Angry Birds.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I prefer the galaxy tab. Transformer probably the most even tho mine broke.

But if I had the money to spend now I'd go with the chrome book laptop. Its only 300-400 depending on which one you want and you have googles new os for computers. Which will be developed a lot more this upcoming year.

rherron

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Chromebook at work. It's OK. I like that it's fast. I don't like that you cannot install any software. I wouldn't personally buy one.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I picked-up a Galaxy Tab at Costco last week for $389.00 after a $40 instant rebate.

OP
A

Actuallee

Reaction score
I am back to answer my own question. Xoom baby. Xoom all the way.

William_04_x

Reaction score
Congrats! I have a Xoom WiFi running ICS 4.0.4 and it has all but replaced my laptop and desktop.

From RAZR MAXX

GSdub510

Reaction score
I can't think of any must have android tablets. The amount of tablet specific apps is really bad

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

TatDroid

Reaction score
I can't think of any must have android tablets. The amount of tablet specific apps is really bad

Really? Do you have an Android tablet? I love my OG Transformer and have not felt at all cheated that there aren't enough apps for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Really? Do you have an Android tablet? I love my OG Transformer and have not felt at all cheated that there aren't enough apps for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I agree. I have more apps on my tablet (Xoom) than I do on my Droid 3. I also tend to use the apps more on it, primarily because of the larger screen but also because it saves battery life on my cell phone (except when I'm tethering my tablet to my phone). Twitter, Facebook, Web browsing, gmail, games, etc... are all better on my tablet, even if they are designed for phone screens. I also haven't used my laptop since I've gotten a tablet. It's just so much more convenient to use my tablet vs. the laptop for basic stuff while watching TV, etc....