XOOM Minimum Advertised Price - $799! Will you still buy it? [POLL]

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
thumb_550_thunderbolt-xoom-price.jpg

According to androidcentral the MAP for the XOOM is set at a hefty $799! This isn't a final price, but still indicates that the tablet will cost an arm and a leg. This is probably an unsubsidized price, though. On contract, it will probably cost less. This doesn't seem to compete very well with the iPad, but there's still hope that a wifi version might cost less!

So, what say ye'? Will you still buy one, or is the price a deal breaker for you?

Last edited:

cpjr

Reaction score
I honestly dont think there is any way it will cost that much. Maybe full retail, but in that case they are going to have to have some type of subsidized price (which will still hurt sales). Yes the ipad has an $830 model, but has lower end models that start at $499.

Jordan8

Reaction score
Think ill just buy a new laptop instead lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called it, I said 800 dollars and sure enough. Definitely a deal breaker for me. I will go ahead and buy myself a new laptop now.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
selling it at that price would be the perfect formula for a complete failure

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apparently they didn't learn from the Galaxy tab, which has since lowered prices twice I believe. People will buy this no matter the price unfortunately though. 800 bucks for a tablet is just far too expensive IMO. I can pay another 200 bucks and buy a Macbook or well made windows laptop. I am sure this tab will be awesome, just not that awesome.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Hell no. I can buy a decent laptop and a good desktop for that much. I will stick with my droid x. I did want one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I honestly dont think there is any way it will cost that much. Maybe full retail, but in that case they are going to have to have some type of subsidized price (which will still hurt sales). Yes the ipad has an $830 model, but has lower end models that start at $499.

Why would they subsidize a product that only comes with WiFi for connecting to the internet? Verizon can't lock us into a contract if the product doesn't even support 3G or LTE service. Of course if they also have a different version that offers both, then that would be a different story. So far I've only heard of the WiFi version.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
selling it at that price would be the perfect formula for a complete failure

I think they are only doing this so that they can get as much revenue as possible. After they get all the suckers, :icon_eek: I mean impatient people who can't wait to buy the Xoom at the laptop price, they will drop the price to get the next group of people who are willing to pay the price of what the original PS3 cost at $699 and so. I wanted to get my wife one for her birthday and have the funds to do it, but I'd have to be crazy to go out and spend that kind of dough on something that will become obsolete with the next Motorola tablet.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I learned about this earlier. I always thought the iPad was around $500. Didnt even know had different models.

Learn something new every day. In that case...maybe Moto isnt too off with the pricing....lol

I still wont get one at that price tho. I see I will be waiting until the prices come down alot before I get any tablet. I'm starting to get into eBooks now and a tablet would be perfect for me. And a bigger screen for watching movies on the go.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Not exactly priced very well.

$799 for the Xoom - 32GB, 3G/4G
$729 for the iPad - 32GB 3G

I suppose the extra $70 is for 4G and all the other good stuff. Seems like Verizon has priced this high to sucker people into contracts to get the device cheaper when compared to the Galaxy Tab and iPad.

I might wait and see about a 1yr contract and how much it would cost. I know I would keep the tablet for at least a year with these specs. Only downfall of that is if I decided I don't need the 3G for a while, I can't do anything about it because its strapped to a contract. With the iPad, when you get the 3G model, you can start or stop the service at any point.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will wait too - everything that is new and exciting is always jacked up at release