XOOM Does NOT charge via Micro USB

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I find this to be a bit of a disappointment.

The XOOM car charger has appeared on Moto's website and looks to have a proprietary plug on the end of it. That means you can't rely on one single micro USB charger to charge your Droid, bluetooth headset and XOOM (which I was hoping for.) Instead, you have to carry around another charger to keep the thing charged up. :mad:

techguru

Reaction score
I find this to be a bit of a disappointment.

The XOOM car charger has appeared on Moto's website and looks to have a proprietary plug on the end of it. That means you can't rely on one single micro USB charger to charge your Droid, bluetooth headset and XOOM (which I was hoping for.) Instead, you have to carry around another charger to keep the thing charged up. :mad:

That bites. I had just gotten to the point where everything (personal and business phones, stereo headset, mono headset, and car handsfree speaker) used either a mini or micro USB so I could carry one charger, one cable, and one mini to micro adapter....

Alan

Jordan8

Reaction score
Kinda disappointing :/. Still hesitant if I'm gonna buy a tablet anyway though lol

Zephyr

Reaction score
And given Motorola's track record with charging cables it's only going to be 6 inches long to begin with -_-

ckeegan

Reaction score
I have a question, when was motorola xoom released? I thought this product was not yet released.

Its not...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say he just wanted to promote his website, which by the way, doesn't even load.

As for the charger thing, I personally can't imagine a time when I'd need a car charger for the Xoom. If this thing really gets 10 hours on video playback (as Jha stated), normal usage would be far more. I mean, you're talking about 10 hours of constant display usage and video processing. We'll see if that 10 hour figure holds true though.

Last edited:
G

Grimster

LOLZ at people who were expecting it to charge via USB. USB only supplies 500ma of current which probably isnt even enough to run the tablet let alone charge. Its like being disappointed that your laptop does not charge via USB. SIMPLY TOO FUNNY anyone would even think it would charge via USB.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
LOLZ at people who were expecting it to charge via USB. USB only supplies 500ma of current which probably isnt even enough to run the tablet let alone charge. Its like being disappointed that your laptop does not charge via USB. SIMPLY TOO FUNNY anyone would even think it would charge via USB.

Well usb can pull double load from a slot if it only detects one device, and minus overheads it comes to 850 mA, approx.

Not so sure if the advent of usb 3.0 will warrant the creation of a new übermini-usb for devices....who knows.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

androidpolice

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androidpolice.com

The iPad charges via USB no problem, so it's definitely possible. I'm very disappointed that I can't charge via microUSB.

joolz

Reaction score
As usual Apple shows how it should be done :(

LOLZ @ Grimster.

nimblejester

Reaction score
I pad only charges with its charger also.
So basicly you charge it or you attach it to you computer. Hmmmmmm
Xoom can have its charger connected and USB cable connected at same time.
Well charge and USB communication would that be two for xoom..

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App