X'ers from original Droids

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
Happy with the X or was the original Droid better? If you aren't happy is it because the Droid was rooted? I have an option to upgrade early and I like the larger screen of the X but I am quite pleased with the way my original is running right now. I am currently running Sapphire with 928Droids Black Glass. It seems like battery life issues keep coming up with the X. Any opinions are appreciated.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I have the original droid and decided not to upgrade because of the lack of custom roms, battery life problems, and crapblur. Also seeing that the x will come to its end of life status in march of next year. So if the x will be phased out that soon, we will see even better phones shortly after :D

S

scrub175

Initially I was very pleased with the transition. Going back to the OG droid is work now as the screen is so grossly undersized. (I exaggerate a lil) I do appreciate the screen size difference much more now than having just owned the OG droid. I don't need the crutch of a physical keyboard anymore either so I'm good.

Now for Rooting and ROMs. I was hurtin after the first few days. I needed a sapphire fix. I had just flashed to sapphire a few days before I got the X. Was having great speed and battery life on sapphire. before that was bugless. Anyway the lack of tweaks and mods was killing me. I held off rooting the X until froyo was ready and released. I think I've had my fix for hacks now. As with the OG, there came a time where I didn't care about who's latest and greatest ROM. I wanted stability and speed so I settled down.

I'm employing the same concept with the X. I am completely satisfied with the froyo flash and what root functions/recovery functions that are currently available. My next major leap will be for a modded leak of froyo, froyo official release with root intact, or gingerbread whatever. I think I can hold off. Please sapphire folks work on an X version of sapphire.

I can certainly say this... I was intently following the Droid Pro thread scheming a way to get one of them coming from the X. Now not so much. I'm gonna stick with the X until there is a bigger jump in specs for the next phones, and LTE.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Battery life on the X is better than the Droid....

BigRalphN

Reaction score
My battery life is much better on the X than on my original droid. I too miss the custom roms, but it is just as fast with the leaked froyo, plus the blur light is actually nice. Some of it is just ok, but overall the interface is nice and unlike others, I like the launcher. Both are nice phones, but the large screen is much nicer for my old eyes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

W

warp

The D1 was a good phone for the time I had it but the X is just much better. Screen size, speed, fluidity, memory, everything... I'm completely satisfied with my X whereas I wasn't with the D1 because of the lack of memory, slider, choppiness, headphone jack issue, narrow touchscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:

scf

Reaction score
Had the D1. Now have the DX.

D1 who?

The diehard droiders will slobber on their D1s, and try to convince you that the DX is no where NEAR as customizable. And truth is, it's probably not. HOWEVER, for the casual user, it's the winnah, hands down.

BigRalphN

Reaction score
I have been more than a casual user, but I still love the x. Everything works better and another.i will miss some of the early releases and ports, but as nice as this is, I can deal with it. I am running the froyo leak and the only bug I have found is in the battety settings.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the D1, I have the X.

X has better reception, there's no doubt about that. The reception is better than the Droid, and my Droid has a Froyo baseband. Battery life is good, especially for it being a big phone.

Call quality is better. I will try to always get a phone with decent noise cancellation from now on. Ppl on the other end wonder if I'm in the bathroom...lol

There is a GPS or phone sleep bug on the X where something may make your phone Running % be high or go to 100% even with the screen off and the app closed. Froyo fixes it....It turned out to be using a GPS app and leaving GPS on after the app closed, but there could be other apps doing the same thing. Spare Parts is a good app to see whats going on under the hood.

I constantly get 1 day and some hours outta my X, in a good reception area. (Home is good, work is bad). I needed to use SetCPU, good voltage kernels for the same numbers on my Droid with a kernel running 1Ghz or more. At work, it lasts about 6-8 hours. (Some areas at my desk I get No Service)

I dont really miss custom ROMs cuz I personally started using stock ROMs right before the X was released. I will take root and the great root apps thats available. If the custom recovery holds up on the X, thats even better.

I still have my Droid IF I wanna play with custom ROMs. I think the X is better cuz it has better phone functions, reception was the key for me keeping it... cuz the Droid has very good reception. But if u want a completely customizable phone, the Droid is where its at.

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
Just got my X today, and have had the Droid since last Nov. So far I am really liking the screen, and speed of the X by a long shot. I loaded it up with everything that my Droid 1 had on it, and at 2.1 it blows the Droid 1 with Froyo away. The internal memory really makes a difference in the lag.

This is after 1 day, so time may hold some lag, but I haven't even messed with the idea of root or the leaked 2.2 at all yet.

Edit: Oh, yes I was rooted on the Droid 1 and had Froyo on it quite a while back.

I may have a Droid 1 with 2 multimedia docks up for sale on Ebay sooner than later.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add the speaker on the Droid is louder than the X. The volume may get fixed with Froyo, some ppl said it does sound louder. My headphone jack or the FM Radio is louder after installing Froyo, the rest its hard to tell to me.

Last edited:

soba1

Reaction score
Glad I made the switch......
The X is in a whole nother class :))

baniels

Reaction score
I had the D1 from last December until a day after the release of the X. I never once have thought of going back to the D1. I see it everyday as it is now my wife's phone, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the X. I was very avid with flashing the latest and greatest on the D1 for a while. But once the romance wore off, that slowed from three times a week (or more) to once a month or whenever the mood struck.

Root was out on the X much faster than expected. I was very pleased with that. The recent work of Koush, P3Droid and other has been more than enough to keep me busy. It is still early and I expect there will be more options to play with as time goes on. The fact that I can't flash it with a bugless beast doesn't really bother me. The thing is fast as hell to begin with and the battery life has yet to disappoint. With root I can tweak a few things to my liking and get rid of the Blur. My X feels plenty vanilla and never bogs down.

D1 was my "transition" phone away from keyboards. I don't think I'll ever go back. I'm glad I don't have the extra unused hardware bulking up the phone.

I will never go to a smaller screen. I'd actually like an even bigger one. 4.8 or even 5" would still be okay with me. When I hold my old D1 it feels so amazingly tiny. Which is odd, because just 8 months ago that screen was the bee's knees.

As for the recent end of life news, I really couldn't care less. The end of life is meaningless if I have the phone in my hand right now. Why should I care if someone else won't be able to buy this phone at some point in the future? I have it now and when I want to upgrade to something else I will.