X2 Text Messaging borked/Wi-fi won't detect

deathtoll2001

Reaction score
Hey all! I love these forums, use them all the time to find out cool things to try with my phones.

Anyway, I recently bought an X2, and decided to really get into the rooting idea when I realized I had a ridiculous amount of settings and info I wouldn't be able to port off my Droid 1 otherwise. So I rooted the Droid 1 with no problem using MotoCache1's Root for any OS thread to back things up before my phone died if nothing else. Then I found GingerBreak works for the X2 and rooted the new phone as well.

Long story short, I now have everything ported over (via a combination of AppBrain - apps, TitaniumBackup - settings/data, and My BackupPro - contacts,phone log, etc) and my new phone is running great. Except for 2 things: Even before I Started freezing things my wireless stopped detecting any networks and just turning off again. I'm wondering if I ported some system app setting from the Droid 1 that it didn't like...

Second, I can't send or view text messages. I'm 95% sure I froze something I shouldn't have using TitaniumBackup, but none of the ones I have frozen now seem even remotely related. Anyone know what apps are required to be unfrozen for texting to work?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Eric

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wifi problem: yes, you probably ported some data over that's breaking it. Without knowing exactly what you did this will be hard to simply fix, best suggestion, factory reset and be much more careful what you import, you shouldn't be importing any system apps or data, this could also be your texting problem, you probably imported the messaging app from your old phone.

Sms: with out knowing what you froze, I can't really help. Either a) list frozen apps OR b) install a 3rd party sms app, I like handcent personally.

Sent from my DROID X2

Last edited:
OP
D

deathtoll2001

Reaction score
I was hoping to avoid having to list everything out (There's about 75...). Even more interesting, I tried your advice and installed handcent, sent a test message, and apparently got a response, though the app force closed upon sending and I can't see anything when I look at the apparent response. I'll try unfreezing everything and see if that helps.

Is there any way to reset system apps to default without doing a full factory reset? It took 5 hours of frustration to figure out how to port any settings from the old phone at all.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let me break it down for you.

If you restored system apps and/or system data from a different phone you're going to have nothing but trouble. The data can be cleared but if you over wrote system apps during your restore you'll need to grab a system dump from someone else's phone and replace the ones you over wrote, cause even a factory reset isn't going to undo the app replacement.

As far as what you froze, try un freezing everything, see if functionality is restored, try everything, menus in settings, especially the battery menu, adding contacts, adding calendar events, etc.

Personally I froze 99% of what's safe to freeze without breaking something and it's only 52 items. So if you froze 70 something, stuff is definitely not going to work right.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
D

deathtoll2001

Reaction score
Any chance I could get a list of the safe 52 apps? :)

So far as I can tell, I didn't replace (or add) any system apps, just data. I was having trouble getting Titanium to restore any apps at all at first, which is why I used AppBrain to install them.

I un-froze everything but nothing changed, so most likely both issues were settings related. I started manually hitting "clear data" on all system apps but gave up on the tedium, jumped to texting-related ones, and cleared those. Texting works now!

Back to clicking clear on everything and hoping for the best!

OP
D

deathtoll2001

Reaction score
Alas, your first comment was the way to go. I cleared most of the system data manually, but some new stuff started going bad (home button not working, power menu missing options) so I gave up and hit a factory reset.

Everything came up working after, so it was all either data or apps that truly weren't needed. Thankfully, I knew what I was doing this time and I was able to restore my user apps and their data in no time! Now to freeze the recommended list, re-fix my ADW widgets, and move on with my life :)

Thank you so much for your help juhde!

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You did the right thing lol, you possibly never would have found the bad data.

Glad to help.

Sent from my DROID X2