X worth moving up to over original?

Meathead40

Reaction score
I am a current original moto droid user, considering the X. Is it a worthy upgrade, for those who have done it?

bryanbahr

Reaction score
No question. Had the D1 since November, got the X last month. Havent regretted it for a minute. Way fewer glitches, feels amazing, looks amazing, works amazing.

I thought my D1 was good, I had no idea.

OP
M

Meathead40

Reaction score
Right on... thanks for the feedback. The screen itself is the big draw for me... after being at the store, the D1 seems tiny compared to DX. Probably going to have to pull the trigger.

rp683

Reaction score
I saw the X in the store as well and mine will be arriving at my house hopefully tomorrow. The X seems so much faster in just using the phone, opening and closing apps, etc., nice, no delay like my current Droid. I love my Droid 1 but the delays seem to be getting more annoying lately, delays I never noticed before checking out the X. (And BTW, I am over clocked to 800MHz and rooted) I love the screen, I just seems really big compared to my D1, I hope it fits in my pocket.

I was deciding between the Incredible and the X and I like the "vanilla" operating system of the X as compared to the Incredible's Sense UI. Besides, the car dock and desktop dock helped me make my decision FOR the X as well. The X seems very solid and the battery is rated longer than the Incredible's. I also like the dedicated button for the camera and I like the physical buttons on the bottom, home, return, back and menu. I always had issues finding the correct "spot" on my current Droid for the home key for some reason. Oh, not to mention the HDMI out is pretty sweet, can't wait to try that.

The only complaint about the X that I saw in the store (still running 2.1) was the app drawer. When I opened it it didn't seem as silky smooth as say, the Samsung Vibrant, which was VERY smooth and had a nice screen as well.

Anyway, to answer your question, YES, the X is worth upgrading to from the D1. Just my opinion.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I saw the X in the store as well and mine will be arriving at my house hopefully tomorrow. The X seems so much faster in just using the phone, opening and closing apps, etc., nice, no delay like my current Droid. I love my Droid 1 but the delays seem to be getting more annoying lately, delays I never noticed before checking out the X. (And BTW, I am over clocked to 800MHz and rooted) I love the screen, I just seems really big compared to my D1, I hope it fits in my pocket.

I was deciding between the Incredible and the X and I like the "vanilla" operating system of the X as compared to the Incredible's Sense UI. Besides, the car dock and desktop dock helped me make my decision FOR the X as well. The X seems very solid and the battery is rated longer than the Incredible's. I also like the dedicated button for the camera and I like the physical buttons on the bottom, home, return, back and menu. I always had issues finding the correct "spot" on my current Droid for the home key for some reason. Oh, not to mention the HDMI out is pretty sweet, can't wait to try that.

The only complaint about the X that I saw in the store (still running 2.1) was the app drawer. When I opened it it didn't seem as silky smooth as say, the Samsung Vibrant, which was VERY smooth and had a nice screen as well.

Anyway, to answer your question, YES, the X is worth upgrading to from the D1. Just my opinion.

The X is NOT vanilla android, it runs a Blur Variant.

I went from a D1 (check sig) to my DX and I love it. I Don't regret it one bit, and tbh I wouldn't want any other phone Verizon offers.

rp683

Reaction score
Oh, thanks for the info, didn't know it had a blur variant.

Thanks

FoFa

Reaction score
I just switched from my Droid 1 to X last week.
I was totally happy with my Droid 1 I have had since last Nov. (and it was the original one I got, never had to switch it out).
First thing after Verizon did was backup all the apps they could, and swap the SD cards (same size 16 GB). Then they installed all the apps they could from the backups (a couple they could not, they called them private apps, facebook was one of those). Then once the X was working, they wiped the D1 and set it up for my daughter.
This took about an hour and 45 minutes, but I think they could have done it in a hour, but i was having multiple things done like line switching, etc.
Right after that my X wanted to updated to 2.2, so I let it.
Then it needed a charge.
So basically since we walked into Verizon about 5:30 PM, it was the next day before I could actually use my X.
Other than getting used to the changes Motoblur brings to the table, it is basically the same. It appears faster, but I was not unhappy of the performance of the D1.
But i really like the larger screen.
I hate how the display really drains battery life faster.
Overall I am happy with it, maybe even a little more so than the D1.
Phone calls seem clearer.
The sensor that detects the phone to your face seems to work better.
The camera does not seem to be as sharp as my D1's camera.
Might be the first phone I get an extended battery for.
SWYPE comes with it!

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I just switched from my Droid 1 to X last week.
I was totally happy with my Droid 1 I have had since last Nov. (and it was the original one I got, never had to switch it out).
First thing after Verizon did was backup all the apps they could, and swap the SD cards (same size 16 GB). Then they installed all the apps they could from the backups (a couple they could not, they called them private apps, facebook was one of those). Then once the X was working, they wiped the D1 and set it up for my daughter.
This took about an hour and 45 minutes, but I think they could have done it in a hour, but i was having multiple things done like line switching, etc.
Right after that my X wanted to updated to 2.2, so I let it.
Then it needed a charge.
So basically since we walked into Verizon about 5:30 PM, it was the next day before I could actually use my X.
Other than getting used to the changes Motoblur brings to the table, it is basically the same. It appears faster, but I was not unhappy of the performance of the D1.
But i really like the larger screen.
I hate how the display really drains battery life faster.
Overall I am happy with it, maybe even a little more so than the D1.
Phone calls seem clearer.
The sensor that detects the phone to your face seems to work better.
The camera does not seem to be as sharp as my D1's camera.
Might be the first phone I get an extended battery for.
SWYPE comes with it!

You should have kept the 16gb that came with the X. Most of us are getting Class 4 cards vs the Class 2 card that came with the D1... its a pretty nice bump in transfer rate.

phartwig

Reaction score
Yes I had the droid 1 and went dx and love it. My big hands can fly on this screen where on the d1 I was always having to correct. I did love the ability to do whatever I wanted o the d1 and be able to fix it if I fubard it but the big screen and camera and improvements are worth it.